On Tuesday, which version of ST:XI will you buy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by B.C., Nov 13, 2009.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Ever see "They Live"?;)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have, yes, but what does Wal-Mart specifically have to do with that? Did they censor its DVD release?

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm going to have to wait at least 3 weeks or so before I buy it. I'm in the process of buying an HDTV and Blu-Ray player right now. But when I do have them, Star Trek will be my first Blu-Ray, alongside Up.

4. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Standard bluray, bought 26/10.

You're assumptions are showing: we're not all in the US. :alienblush:

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If you're only talking about pixels the above is true. But even at 26", Blu-Ray whips DVD in richness of color and quality of sound. AVSForum gave the Blu-ray a '100' for audio. No way the DVD will match that. :)

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

As someone with a 23" 720p HDTV, I can wholeheartedly vouch for that. The difference is very noticeable.

J.

7. BillJ

As far as price goes... I don't really think that's a barrier anymore either. I picked up a 40" 1080p set for $568, a Magnavox Blu-Ray player for $148 and a Home Theater-in-a-Box for $149 to upgrade from my 32" 720p set and PS3 for under a grand in anticipation of Star Trek. God, I'm a geek! :guffaw:

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I got my HDTV a little over a year ago, and paid $150, which isn't bad. It's an AOC, and it works great. Picture is terrific, audio is, well, it's alright, but the visual aspect is great.

J.

9. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Preordered the Walmart Blu-ray version. Now trying to wait patiently.

10. BillJ

After upgrading I popped in the Blu-Ray of 2010. Impressive is an understatement. Even at 2 channel you'd be suprised at how good your sound can be just patching it through a regular stereo which is what I did before getting the HTIB.

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I would have bought it, but I have a feeling my parents are gonna get it for me for Christmas.

12. Illinoisguy1

Illinoisguy1 Ensign Red Shirt

Target Enterprise case (2-disc dvd). I may also buy the Blu-Ray Enterprise case so I can have that and not put it together. As well as have the Blu-Ray when I do upgrade asap.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Well, I splurged this morning and paid $30 for this GPX home stereo system with line input and remote. The sound is much, much better than the tin can, tinny sound I got from my HDTV.

[​IMG]

All of this for the new movie! :lol:
    (By the way, the image on the screen is the trailer for Star Trek XI off the ST:FC Blu-ray).

J.

14. CommanderRaytas

The image made me squee. I hope you're happy.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm happy. :D

While I'm at it, here's Star Trek: First Contact on my 720p HDTV. I own the Blu-ray and the DVD version and figured I'd show it to people who were on the fence. It may make a difference and it may not, but I offer a little help.

Anyhoo, here they are. Now the DVD is being upconverted (Blu-ray players upconvert DVDs) so the image quality is definitely better than a standard DVD player. That being said:

Blu-ray:
    [​IMG]

DVD:
    [​IMG]

J.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That doesn't even begin to do BD justice.

17. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

The one thing I noticed just going through a bit of FC when I got it was, you see so much more detail in the background. It almost felt like I was watching a totally different movie.

18. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, and btw, I decided to pick up the 1-disc barebones DVD (got it for $9.49 on Amazon) just to have something to take to show to people who haven't seen the movie and haven't upgraded to BD yet.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Sorry, I can't afford a 1080p HDTV. :confused:

J.

20. CommanderRaytas

Don't be sad, honey, I'm still squeeing. :)

The difference is mind-boggling. But I still love my dvds.