Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, as much as I love the first Spidey movie, I still wish they had gone with something more expressive for the Goblin.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally disagree. I thought the Raimi Spider-Man had tons of humor and/or humorous lines. Granted, this was limited during the action sequences. As far as we know, Webb's Spider-Man will have the same level of Spider-Man wisecracking. The scene from the trailer had him sitting still while quipping.

Given the backstory of the Goblin Mask, that would have been difficult. Unless, of course, Norman makes it himself.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't understand when people say Raimi's Spider-Man movies didn't have wise cracks. Of course they did.

4. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Seeing the trailer, I'd rather see Dennis Leary as a smartass, snarky, middle-aged Spiderman.

I'd like them to fake out the Lizard...point it to Dr. Connors being the monster, then it really being someone else, like Uncle Ben. :eek:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Check this out. I think that this was way better than what they went with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FozFGXzWtc

Agreed also about the unmasking scene. And the one in this trailer looks pretty good too.

Edit - Not sure if this has been mentioned but apparently the words 'Mark of the Spider-man' appear in the trailer. And if you click on them, they direct you to a viral site. Link below.

http://www.markofthespider-man.com/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. Broccoli

^ That is more comic-accurate, to be sure. I guess the filmmakers would need a legit reason on why a military combat suit would have a silly looking mask such as that (granted, the one in the film was just as silly, but at least it was an actual helmet making it easier to buy into).

:lol: Think of the fanboy rage over that! The internet would have a complete meltdown.

7. Captaindemotion

The plot twist that broke the internet.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the pilot using the glider when Osborne's showing the generals around (when his sidekick says they need to go back to formula) is wearing a different headpiece. i'd guess that the helmet Gobby wears is something Norman designed.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Like JD said I would also have preferred a Incredible Hulk style opening for the origin, rather than another whole film based around it.

"ooh I'm a high school geek with no friends. I like taking pictures. I'm in love with Mary Jane/Gwen Stacey. Ooops a radioactive spider bit me. Oooh I've woken up and feel all weird. Whoa now I can climb walls. Yup I better put a blue and red suit on and go fight some crime. Hey that girl likes me now. Oh there's some big monster bad guy after me. I hope he doesn't kidnap my girlfriend...." etc etc

Snore

It was bad enough that the last trilogy was basically just the same film three times, nevermind doing it all over again.

"Oooh well in this one he has mechanical web shooters. In the Raimi films they were organic!"
    Well woop de friggin do. Forgive me for not giving a damn where his webs shoot from. They could come out of his ass for all I care

But hey, it might not be like that. Not even saying it looks bad, I'm just saying why I'm not that jazzed over any of the material I've seen thus far

10. Captaindemotion

I must admit, when I first heard that they were doing this movie, I predicted on the BBS that it would be a 're-boot lite', like Batman Forever. Obviously not.

I accept that it could have fitted within the continuity of the Raimi movies; but there you have it. They've opted to go another route. It does look from the trailer that there's sufficient difference in plot and tone from the Raimi-verse to justify it. Just about.

I know it's only been a decade or so since the first Raimi movie but in 2005, I remember people saying that there was no need to re-boot the Batman series already. Sure, they're not quite the same (Spidey 3 was nowhere near the train wreck Batman and Robin was) but in the interim, we've had reboots of Hulk, Punisher, Bond and will soon have a Superman reboot (as well as rumoured Daredevil and Fantastic Four ones), so I suppose 10 is the new 16, where reboots are concerned!

Ultimately, all I care about is that they deliver an entertaining movie. And if this trailer is anything to go by, they will. In fact, while I loved the first two movies, and don't hate the third as much as many of you, I think that this has the potential to be the best one yet.

11. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was my assumption as well: Norman whipped that up when his brain went all :ack:.

I'm still not a huge fan of this version of the suit, but otherwise this looks pretty good. Love Dennis Leary as Captain Stacey. No glimpse of JJ yet, though. My one wish was that they would keep JK Simmons, but alas...

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

A new trend in reboot movies is to hint at future characters in the first movie but not show them.

Man of Steel- No Lex but he'll probably be mentioned.

Amazing Spider-man- No Osborne but we see his company.

No JJ also but the daily bugle trucks have been spotted.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well even if they skipped the origin, there would still be a strong "been there, done that" feeling to it all, because we've already gotten 3 movies of Spidey fighting someone, swinging around the city, and being acrobatic as well.

We already basically know what that LOOKS like, so it's going to be hard to make that ever feel as new or exciting as it once was.

14. Broccoli

If memory serves, we saw the Goblin helmet in the lab. Didn't we? I'll admit, I haven't seen the flick in a while.

You can make that same argument with the Batman films and #8 is coming out this summer.

15. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, ok I'm out of the loop then. Last I remember, John Slattery was going to play him.

16. Captaindemotion

^ That was only ever a rumour. It was fairly quickly dismissed, IIRC.

Quite a few people, myself included, are hoping that JK Simmons will 'do a Judi Dench' and return for the reboot.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

True. My point was just that it doesn't make sense to complain only about the origin story being rehashed, when there are so many other elements that are likely to feel familiar as well.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I'm not at all ready to see Judi Dench play JJJ, but thank you very much for the imagery...(shudder)

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's a mask that Norman had at home, a tengu Goblin mask.

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

While acknowledging the business aspect of film, I also see it as a creative and artistic enterprise. Much like going to see a play is interesting to see how new actors and new directors will interpret the source material, I feel the same way about film.

If an interesting director and interesting actors want to take a shot at reinterpreting a film that came out yesterday, I'm all for it. Hell, if interesting artists and creatives want to release film versions of the same thing on the same day, I'm still interested.

Two Batman movies, one directed by Fincher, one directed by Aronofsky, both telling the same origin story, out on the same day? My only question would be which one to see first! :lol:

I couldn't care less about whether I've "seen this story before." I only care about whether it's interestingly and creatively done.

Webb and Garfield interest me and I'm looking forward to seeing their interpretation.