Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got the same thing, but it's possible it'll be in a separate shipment yet this month.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So people are getting the big Borg Cube now? I was wondering when that would start showing up. Is it any good? IIRC, the photo of the model didn't appear too terribly accurate.

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh god, the Centaur! I was hoping she'd be made. Yeah! And the Steamrunner, w00t!

Everything looks so delicious!

Shocked - truly, shocked! - at the NX-01 refit. That's really... from what I've heard, they where *thinking* of doing that in the 5th season of the show, but never got beyond thinking, until the calendars years later.

If they're doing it, and they don't do the Titan, or Vesta-Class (Aventine), it doesn't seam right. If they're venturing into soft-canon like that once, they should again with the one or two prominent trek book ships.

As far as STO stuff; honestly, no, I'm not too keen on them going that route. But after a while, I might be, lol. At least for a prominent ship like the Enterprise-F.

I do hope they make the Daedalus. Always had a fetish for that ship, and since Sisko had a model on his desk it's canon. :P

And Spacedock! Oh god yes, please let them do a spacedock special like they did DS9.

Kind of bugs me the specials seem to all be nuTrek crap. *Grumbles* If anything, they should maybe look at the best-sellers or let people vote or something for what gets the slightly-higher-scale treatment.

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The model available in the UK based on the cube from "First Contact." Japan is getting one based on what was seen in the television series, which appears to be much more accurate to me.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection#Gift_Premiums

5. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thrilled at the Centaur and Steamrunner coming soon. Also confirmation of the Norway class. The Federation ships are what I'm mostly interested in.

Wish they would confirm a Daedalus class though, love that design.

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Of all the 55 regular issues I was just dividing them by where they originated, seeing which series will have the most ships by then.

For it flack it sometimes seems to get it's ENT by quite a way-

TOS- 1
    TOS Movies- 6
    TNG- 10
    TNG Movies- 6
    DS9-7
    VOY- 11
    ENT- 14

Obviously some ships appear in more than one, but just counting where they originated from. And it was only fairly recently they did the Xindi Insectoid, only the second of those 14 after the NX-01 early in the schedule. So there's a lot of ENT-specific ships coming soon.
    I can see why, they were all done in CGI so the files will be right there, and apart from the NX-01 I'm guessing there hasn't been physical models of any of those ships before.

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

^That is exactly the reason. Speaking with Ben though, he did say the TOS Ent paves the way for more ships from TOS after it. I imagine the issue there would be deciding whether to use the slightly off TOS-R CG ships OR create new ones that match the studio models exactly. From the way he spoke, it sounds like Ben is going the "create new ships" direction, at least with the TOS-E.

As far as the TOS-E is concerned, he said that it WON'T have engraved panel lines, but there might be some faint painted on ones (which I'm totally cool with).

8. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

TBH the TOS-R ships in some cases would just be better/easier to do like the tholian ship for example. I personally don't mind but then I didn't grow up with it so i can see how that would bother some people.

9. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Are ther going to be any earth ships like the ECS horizon and early Starfleet shuttles?.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

We'll be getting the ECS Fortunate and Intrepid type ship in the 40s.

11. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the "AGT Ent-D" was supposed to come with the October shipment? What happened? It's been 12 months since the US subscription started.

12. SB118_Laxyn

SB118_Laxyn Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Dang. I do not have a single ship, but seeing all those pictures makes me want to have them all!

13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know it was a free gift, but come on! Weren't we originally supposed to get it in July too?

14. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Getting a bit fed up with the subscriber perk skimps, too... :confused:

15. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I seem to recall someone mentioning that Eaglemoss sends out more binders with future shipments, as an added charge on the monthly invoice. Can anyone confirm if the is true, especially for a US subscriber?

I already have quite a few mags waiting for a new binder and would gladly pick one up at the store. I just don't want a second coming in the mail next month. Just curious. Thanks!

16. 137th Gebirg

It's true, but you need to "opt in", because it is an extra charge. You won't get them by default.

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty easy to understand why. Before CGI, actually building a complete model (as opposed to reusing a model or redressing a model) was both very expensive and time consuming. That explains why TOS had so few, TNG being a success, airing longer, and airing later managed to get quite a bit more.

DS9 did use CGI, but it wasn't widespread usage until season 6, thus it didn't have a ton of new ships. And it of course made use of TNG and movie ships, both as build as a redressed models.

Voyager started full time CGI part way through season 3, which enabled faster and cheaper modeling. So very reasonable for more ships. And of course like all the others managed to use ships or redressed ships from TNG, Ds9, and the films.

Enterprise of course was fully CGI, and since it occurs before any other Trek almost every single ship seen is a new ship. With a handful of exceptions, they were able to supply a vast number of new designs.

So its hardly surprising the bigger the collection gets the more that Enterprise would get featured.

18. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

Sorry if this has been said before but I wanted to comment on the E refit.

I recieved my second shipment recently and I have to say I am disappointed in the E refit. One, the egg shell blue just seems wrong. It must be the light they used to photograph it but in the back of the E-D mag it does not look that blue. Two, in the mag for the refit they describe that the refit had more pronounced hull plating. Where is that? Again, it should look more like the D. Three, the windows, why were they not painted black or white?

The BOP was great. The refit not so much.

19. 137th Gebirg

I think everyone had a problem with the refit. Before this main production run, Eaglemoss did a limited test run in the UK at least a year or so in advance, IIRC. I believe that model was done by a different company and was one of the reasons why there was so much of a time lag between the test run and what we're getting now. They already spent the money on the refit models, so they went ahead and sent those out, even though they secured a new producer in the intervening time.

The good news is that we should be getting an NCC-1701-A version in a later issue, from what I recall, and I think it will be redone to the higher standards we're seeing with other models. I gather the 3-engined AGT Enterprise-D suffered a similar fate, which is why it's been so late in arrival. There have been different versions popping up on eBay, one that looks really nice that I think everyone will be getting, and another one with an absolutely hideous, high-contrast and off-calibration paint job. They seem to be making great strides in fixing things, but it does take time.

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

^FWIW, I prefer the high contrast Shadyprise. :p