Eating with your dominate hand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Grey, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

That statement by Wikipedia seems to have been backed up by other sources.

Several studies have come to the conclusion that Wikipedia is as reliable as other encyclopedias.

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I just looked through Made In America and you're right. Here's the passage:

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use the opposite hands but other than that I am in full agreement.

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Wikipedia has an atricle about the history of the fork: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork
    However, I wouldn't trust this source much as there is a rather big mistake already at the start of the article: on the European continent, unless we use the fork to poke something up, we hold it with the tines up and use it like a shovel, as opposed to the British way where you hold it with the tines down and pile food onto the back of the fork (or so a book on British etiquette states). I find the latter method highly ineffective, particularly with peas and similarly evasive food.

edited to add: the above is in reply to ITL (Davros overtook me - I'm a slow typer) :)

5. Miss Chicken

I slightly mash the peas before I put them on the back of the fork, or else I mix them with something (such as mash potato) that will stick easily to the back of the fork.

The only time I have the tines upright is when I am only using a fork not a knife (if I am eating savoury rice or pasta) In that case I hold the fork in my right hand and use it as a shovel.

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I knew about the American method of zig-zaging fork and knife between hands. It's quite weird to me, but whatever.

But now you tell me that English-speaking people put food on the back of the fork??? :wtf:

7. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Well...when cutting up food - meat, for example - in this manner, additional foody goodness - peas, for example - are sort of smooshed with the knife onto whatever's been speared by the fork.

Not that we eat like this all the time, though. Fork usage is context dependent. If I don't need a knife, I hold the fork in my dominant hand like anybody else.

8. Miss Chicken

There is a video at this site that shows a woman putting food onto the back of a fork though I which she had used other foods to show it more clearly.

edited to add - it also shown here

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fypq2qhRZnI[/yt]

and ITL is correct - one has to have some food speared by the fork and other food is put on top of it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I'm eating peas, I usually scoop them up with the fork like it's a spoon. I don't spear them or smush them or anything like that.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

The more you know.

In Italy (or at least, in my household), we cut and eat stuff Continental-style (no zig-zag), then you spear "spearable" food (e.g. steak) with the tines down, or you scoop "scoopable" food (e.g. vegetables) with the tines up.

Best of both worlds!

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dammit, now I have a craving for peas! :scream:

12. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't eat peas either way! :ack:

Same here!

13. rhubarbodendron

and here as well :)

The pea discussion reminds me of that silly old joke: what's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?
    (Everyone can roast beef...)

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Thank you, Benny Hill. :lol:

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

When I'm eating meat, I "spear" a piece of meat, and then scoop some of the side dishes, vegetable or whatever on my fork using my knife to eat everything together in one bite. Another benefit to using both hands.

16. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What about people who are appalled at the idea of mixing food on their plate? What do they do?

I've known two kinds of people: people who say, "Eh, it all mixes in the stomach anyway," before mixing stuff up on their plate/fork (I do this). And then there are the people who say, "If food touches another food item on the plate I will. Not. Eat it!"

Being nauseated by the sight of food mixing on the plate is enough of a thing that I wonder how these people feel about mushing your vegetables/potatoes on the fork with the steak to hold it in place? :lol:

17. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm like that in some ways.. I HATE it when cold food like salad, and hot foods mix.. I enjoy a small bite of potato with my meat, but get bugged if the salad and meat come in contact... I can't explain it and have worked to get over it with some success, but I would still much rather have two separate plates...

18. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

This is the first thing that popped into my head when I read the OP. :) My parents immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands in 1964, when they were in their late '30s. My mother loved Canada and picked up a lot of North American mannerisms, but what drove her up the wall was seeing her friends cutting their food with their right hands, putingt their knives down, and picking up their forks with their right hands. My mother always said her own mother would have smacked her senseless if she'd dared to eat like that.

Needless to say I grew up eating the European way, with the fork in the left hand and the knife in my right. I'm left-handed, but never had issues cutting my food with my right hand. When I'm doing food preparation and using sharp knives I use my left hand, though, and I always use my left hand for spoons. I was also taught not to scoop up food with my fork, but to move food onto the fork with the knife. Because of this I eat with a fork and knife whether or not I need to cut my food.

19. rhubarbodendron

same here, but then NL and D are neighbours and so their eating habits wouldn't differ much, automatically.
    Eating American-style would only abe acceptable for old and/or disabled people and for children up to an age of 4. At 5 you are expected to be able to use fork and knife with both hands. (ok, that might perhaps differ, depending on social status, like so many other educational principles. I am really horrified at how many of my colleagues are unable to hold their cutlery properly!)

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

This is what I do because I'm a total slob and eat watching TV.