Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

A.V. Club didn't seem to enjoy it, but I thought "Assie Come Home" was a lot of fun. Was it the greatest Futurama episode? No, nor was it one of the best of the season, but I thought it was very enjoyable with a lot of great laughs.

2. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the new character.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sums up my feeling pretty well too. It wasn't anything amazing, but I enjoyed nevertheless.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Aaaand, of course, I forgot again. Thank goodness for DVDs.

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might as well give it up, RJD. You've had nothing but the worst luck trying to record these last episodes. May I ask what is usually happening at 10 PM Wednesdays (assuming you're in the Eastern time zone) that makes you forget about the show?

Please don't get upset. But the way you've described the events make them read like a "comedy of errors". If I saw this in a sit-com I'd be rolling my eyes in disbelief and "arguing" with the TV, "Oh, come on! No one has a streak of luck that bad!"

Sincerely,

Bill

6. RJDiogenes

Nothing special happens at that particular time, I've just been forgetful. I've had a lot of distractions lately.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I liked this last episode for the most part, but I felt the ending was too callous and undermined what came before. And it was hardly necessary to maintain the status quo, since Bender could've just gotten a replacement part and it wouldn't have affected later episodes. Indeed, he could've liked his new one so much that he'd instantly forget his sentiment toward the original and trash-talk it.

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I finally caught up with the last two episodes (Calculon 2.0, Assie Come Home).

I thought both of these were terrific. They had the old feel to them.

Lots of laughs, lots of cool references (like the guy who sold Fry's "horn").

I'm not sure what they're doing, but these are much better than most recent episodes. Here's hoping the show goes out with a bang, not a whimper.

:techman:

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I enjoyed "Leela and the Genestalk." Maybe a little heavy on the social commentary but it was still a great adventure with a side of solid Fry/Leela relationship development and Fry/Bender friendship banter with plenty of great jokes. That being said, as we get closer to the end, I would like to see more adventures for the Professor, Hermes, Amy and Dr. Zoidberg, although it seems like I will get my wish for Zoidberg next week at least.

"Whoa, remember that mural on my cousin's van? It's like it came to life!"
    "I keep telling you, we didn't grow up together!"

"I'll bend the door open."
    "You can't bend a wooden door."
    "I know that and you know that, but this door looks pretty stupid."

10. Christopher

This one was okay, but not particularly good. The "Jack and the Beanstalk" stuff was overdone. And Mom's portrayal was rather strange here. For one thing, why would someone who's always specialized in robotics suddenly be into genetic engineering? And for another thing, why would someone who's always been evil and greedy suddenly be so eager to help feed the starving masses? I guess the writers expected the viewers to be on Leela's side and buy into the kneejerk Luddite assumption that GMOs are evil, but the episode pretty much disproved that at the end. Which is a stance I agree with wholeheartedly, but it came at the cost of portraying Mom completely out of character, no longer villainously greedy but just reckless in pursuit of benevolent goals. It didn't make sense. I could've bought a different character in the role, but it seemed the only reason they put Mom in this story was so they could use the "Momsanto" pun.

I did like the way they carried forward the thread that Fry loves Leela no matter what she looks like. That's a nice bit of character continuity with past episodes where that theme came up, and it's very sweet as well.

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You stated my thoughts a lot more elegantly than I could have achieved. Touching character development moments for Frye but Mom was definitely miscast.

BTW, how many episodes remain?

I liked the irony of the "Adventure Time" cameo since John Dimaggio voices both Bender and Jake. (That's one bizarre "acid trip" of a series from the couple of episodes I've seen.)

Sincerely,

Bill

12. RJDiogenes

^^ Adventure Time is really good. I wish I got to watch it more often. Phineas and Ferb is still the best of the current crop, though.

I saw Futurama this week (I put a sticky note on my TV). The beanstalk episode was great. I love a show with a message and this was perfect: "I don't care if it feeds the hungry and cures disease-- it's still wrong!" :lol:

Mom did seem pretty off, however, no doubt about that.

13. Christopher

Four: "Game of Tones," "Murder on the Planet Express," "Stench and Stenchibility," and "Meanwhile."

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I bet they thought they were being really clever making a timely parody of a forthcoming mega blockbuster "Jack the Giant Slayer"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

GMO rice = great.
    GMO Monsanto wheat that is specially made to live through getting sprayed by Roundup, so more Roundup is used. = Bad

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this one was pretty good. Not one of their best, but I've seen worse. I do agree that Mom was out of character though. If the rest of the episodes match the quality of the last few, I think the series will be going out on a high note.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.

The scene with Finn and Jake was awesome. My ten year old son made me rewind that several times.

:lol:

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the Finn and Jake scene, but I also loved the Burt Ward and Adam West scene!

19. Christopher

^Yeah, even the music resembled Nelson Riddle's "Bat-climb" motif.

20. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awww, Futurama went for the heartstrings one last time