The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm kind of the same way. You wouldn't know it from my somewhat blunt online persona, but I'm actually kind of shy around most complete strangers and I'm not the type to just spontaneously start up a conversation with somebody I don't know. I've done it, but it's not a regular occurrence at all. Justin and I just got to talking at the cash register that day, found we had some things in common and traded phone numbers. I've been one of his regular customers these past couple of years and when he gets a real scoop on some new STAR WARS or TREK item(not so much TREK, though...he doesn't get or see a whole lot when it comes to old or even new TREK toys) he'll give me a ring to see if I'm interested. It never hurts to get to know a toy store employee if you can break through the awkwardness/shyness barrier...you might even get a pretty decent friend out of the whole deal.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

At this rate, you're gonna win that life-size Darth Maul. :p

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I am a huge Halo fan and for a long time, I was looking for the McFarlane edition of the Warthog. The details are stunning. One of my warthogs is missing because it's twice as big as the McFarlane one and couldn't fit in the display.

[​IMG]

On the following picture, the 12 inches Master Chief is missing. Somebody stole the MA5B assault rifle so I had to make one with Fimo Clay. I'll take a picture later.
    In the background you have the Noble Team figures (sold with Halo: Reach Legendary Edition) and in the foreground you can see the 6 inches Master Chief, a few Spartans and an Elite from The Halo Wars toys and a Spartan wearing the Hayabusa Gear.
    [​IMG]

Next: Kaneda, his bike and Tetsuo, all from McFarlane Toys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a general view from my second display. A Spartan Mk V holding a rocket launcher can be spotted in front of the Sovereign class Enterprise:

[​IMG]

4. cooleddie74

Doubtful. Not with my bloody luck when it comes to those kind of contests. However, there are, I believe, 100 second place prizes and I think that the prize is an electronic f/x replica lightsaber of one design or another. I don't know if you get your pick of which Jedi or Sith lightsaber you get...you might just receive whichever one they decide to ship to you. But it'd be a really awesome prize no matter whose saber you get, so I wouldn't complain. :p

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Oh, and I forgot this one:

[​IMG]

6. cooleddie74

Your HALO stuff kicks ass, man. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and was playing HALO: ODST just the other night. I've seriously considered buying some HALO figures and vehicles but places like Toys 'R' Us just want too much for them($19.99-$21.99 for a Master Chief or Spartan figure for example) and the selection at cheaper stores like Walmart is just pretty slim. Still...keeping my mind open for when I see any sales and markdowns.

7. OdoWanKenobi

The Halo stuff is about the only good stuff McFarlane is still making. How the mighty have fallen.

8. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

tbh, $20/$22 is kinda cheap over here... When I go to the States this summer my luggage will be full! :lol:

9. cooleddie74

Fair point. In places like Australia a single, brand new STAR WARS figure from the more collector-oriented Vintage Collection line can run as high as $16.50 or $17.00 AUD. Countries like Belgium and France have also sold them for in excess of 11 or 12 euros apiece depending on the store you're at. I'll admit, we Yank and Canadian collectors have it pretty easy compared to most of the rest of the world.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

11. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the thread title also mentioned toys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't even play Halo (never did), yet I've got a number of the figures.
    :D

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Lightsabers? Hellz to the yes!!!

[​IMG]

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

The guy with the messed up face in the Star Wars Cantina was a doctor?

15. cooleddie74

According to the backstory established after 1977, yes. He held the title of doctor and was notorious as well as a wanted man in multiple star systems for ruthlessly experimenting on the body parts of many unwilling alien specimens. By the time he ended up in the Cantina in Mos Eisley in A NEW HOPE he had teamed up with the Aqualish thug and criminal Ponda Baba("Walrus Man") and the good doctor was subject to the death penalties of no fewer than twelve systems for his crimes.

16. OdoWanKenobi

Of course, the real story is that they were both architectural designers and the story about being wanted men was the result of drunken jerkiness. Such a tragic mistake.

17. cooleddie74

ROBOT CHICKEN. Where would we be without it.

18. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

QFT

19. cooleddie74

The sketch being discussed:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueekmOdIVOo[/yt]

Great stuff. Loved the Conan O'Brien voice cameo at the end.

20. cooleddie74

Just breaking for those interested: The 2012 Wave 4 Aayla Secura has just been found in the past day at a Walmart in California. This means that Wave 4(Dr. Evazan, Aayla, Kithaba Skiff Guard, 501st Legion Clone Trooper, Nom Anor and several repacks of popular or hard to find 2011 figures) has actually hit retail before 95% of the population have even seen Wave 3. :shrug:

I don't know what's going on with Hasbro anymore. They're sloppy or late to the game with good MLP:FiM merchandise...they can't get STAR WARS, Marvel Superhero and G.I. Joe figures distributed adequately and even in the correct order...they make public announcements that product is going to be available for shipment soon and then delay entire waves of action figures an entire year or even cancel them. I love that company, but is it ever a bloody mess. There are times I think a cage full of honey badgers could run things better than the current gang at the helm.

Here's a carded shot of the new Aayla Secura that was just found: [​IMG]