Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

ah thanks done a 2x1 opening probaly why nothing happened, back to harvesting lava:)

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well guys, looks like the texture pack I've been using has been discontinued by the author. Shame as it was such a nice one. He says he won't be doing anymore texture work.

I had downloaded another one at the same time which gave a similar look I was going for, but found wasn't as good. It's still good, mind you especially when it comes to wood and cobblestone but I found the trees and grass lacked something. I might still use it since I rather have something I can count on being updated though. Comments?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or you know, there's something to be said about simplicity. I LOVE the look of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a simple cel-shaded texture pack and I think it's beautiful in its simplicity:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=90533&sid=ebb8230f285e00d1f8081e54e210faac

Ironically, I feel it has better depth than most texturepacks. The light seems to reflect better on it when looked on from a distance.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Owain probably hates me now. :lol: I tried to clear some tree bits with fire and wound up igniting the whole forest, including my oak and birch groves, and it pounded the server so hard it kept kicking him off.

Sorry, man! You should be able to get back on now. I bounced the server and all.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude! You should know by now to never take fire near anything made of wood in this game! Stuff spreads like, well like wildfire.

Just built my first peaked roof. Hmmm, I wonder how fire-resistant stair blocks are, since they're pretty tough to break. Time to go out in the desert and do another test...

Owain - Aww, sucks about your old texture. To be honest though, I don't let that sort of thing stop me. After I update my game, if I have to I just snag a different updated texture pack, cut out any new graphical items from it I need and paste it into my current texture set and carry on.

5. Owain Taggart

Yeah, at least you have a witness who saw it happen, Robert :P With you burning down your boat and now this, you're looking like a pyromaniac :lol: Quick! Someone hide the matches!

Well Cutter, I know. It just seems like an awefully lot of work just for a texture pack. Robert and I are enjoying the simplicity out of the cell-shaded texture pack.

6. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, the cel-shaded pack is pretty nice, I like how clear and crisp it makes everything.

Something about the HD packs always looks "fakey" to me. Nothing can hide the general blockiness of Minecraft, so anything that accents and works with it tends to fit better, I think.

7. Owain Taggart

Yeah, for me, it feels a bit like a retro videogame world like Mario World or Hyrule, in 3D, so in a way, it feels more epic than something that's trying to be realistic and exact. I feel it fits the playful nature of the game in ways that other texture packs don't. It's feature complete too, and you can tell a lot of work went into it compared to simply finding textures on the internet. In fact, I'd be happy if this became the Minecraft default, though I doubt it would happen, but I do feel it fits better than even the default minecraft textures.

8. Cutter John

Yeah Owain, I guess it is overly fiddly. But I'm an odd old bird. I like to tweek and play around with things. But when I get it the way I like it, I get very grumpy if I have to change it.

I'm no expert, but I've always been artistically inclined, so if there is anything I can help anyone with graphics wise, feel free to drop me a note.

9. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

just done my portal and it looks pretty cool do i need to make another one in the nether or will there be one there for me to get back?

oh also when adding a texture pack do i just put the file into the texture folder or do i unzip it first?

will need to get round to posting some screenshots soon got three houses almost complete plus some roads connecting them with bridges and a nice collection of mines.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  10. Cutter John

Judge - Nope, just walk on in. Just be sure you keep your flint and steel with you in case you need to relight it on the other side. Be ready to dodge, and whatever you do, don't attack a Pigman.

I don't bother unzipping anything. I just use WinRAR to open the texture pack and the minecraft.jar file, then just drag and drop the texturepack files into the game jar.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another portal will be created in the Nether, but there's a good chance that when you use that portal to exit the Nether it will create a seemingly random third portal, so be prepared for that. The first time that I exited the Nether, I ended up in a small dark cave and when I dug up to find where I was, I found myself under the sea about 100 meters from my original portal. I had to spend the next half-hour fixing the alignment.

12. Owain Taggart

Thanks Cutter. The thought is appreciated :)

Yeah, I'd likely be the same as you, but the fact is, the game gets updated often, I'd hate to put in work into something, only to have another update come along and make it outdated. So, I'd rather stay with something that is still in development. I'd love to see in-game updates for any mods or texture packs. I think that's probably one of the things he wants done.

13. Robert Maxwell

I see that Notch has slated 1.6 as a bugfix release, with the only new feature being the maps. He intends to clear out the bug queue, which is fine by me.

Apparently, he is currently the only person working on Minecraft. Doesn't look like they are in any particular rush to get to release. :vulcan:

14. Cutter John

^ Which is good news if you ask me. We already have enough stuff and features in the game. I'd much rather see it all ironed out and working correctly than just having more added.

15. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I'd like to see the network performance improved, which I know they've been doing, it could just stand to be better.

Although I know sometimes CraftBukkit is the cause of lag. Had to revert the server from #740 back to #733 last night because #740 was causing insane block lag.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know I rather suspect they don't feel they actually need to do much else to the game at this point. They've already made so much money off it, all they need to do is literally clear up the remaining bugs and call it done.

17. Robert Maxwell

I forgot, Minecraft's official release date is 11/11/11. So, about 6 months out.

I think the main feature I want, which may not even be possible, is the ability to have moving groups of blocks. Such as building a ship on the water and being able to have it move around, perhaps along a set path.

Also thinking Notch abandoned the whole "adventure mode" idea. :lol:

18. Cutter John

I'm not sure how somethign like that would work Robert without rediculous amounts of lag. I know Second Life has a limit on how many pieces can make up a drivable object for just that reason.

Personally I don't really want much. Maybe a secondary wood texture (or make it dyeable), a few more crops and growable flowers, gates for fences, coral, and maybe give the wolves a few more abilities and I'd call it good.

19. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I think adding a few more mob types and, as Cutter John said, making wood dyeable would pretty much seal the deal.

20. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still holding out hope for pigmen villages. I don't know what use they would be, but I still want them.