Sorry NuTrek fans...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Amusing on the one hand....completely fanboyish on the other.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Saw it before. Wasn't funny then, either.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

[HOMER SIMPSON] Hee, hee, hee! Ho, ho! Hee, hee! It's funny 'cause it's true. [/HOMER SIMPSON] :rolleyes:

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    :lol:

These parodies are better than the actual movie.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No. They're really not.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think part of the problem I've had with 2009 is it's the first Trek film I didn't see in a theater. You do lose something if you're watching it for the first time alone.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I do think that both movies lose a little something going from the big-screen to small. Goes to show that we haven't quite replicated the theater experience at home... yet.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The video is amusing, but I think some are missing that it's an affectionate parody, as are the majority of Honest Trailers. That's what makes them fun.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Saw it some time ago, mildly funny. Most of what they are complaining about are stylistic choices or thematic elements, so it's really based on your personal taste.

Honest Trailers can be quite hilarious. Cinema Sins does a funny series called "Everything wrong" which are usually better than Honest Trailers.

13. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent observation/recognition of the Movie-Going Experience, Mel and Bill...!!!

Theater Owners, take note...maybe next time we all go to the theater, we will be able to choose which Departmental Uniform we can choose to wear, and which technology/weaponry we will be able to include as accessories... :techman:

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, and I've never owned even a bare bones "home theater" system. I first watched ST2009 on a 15" computer monitor.

The most complicated viewing setup I ever had was 27" tube tv, the vcr, and a stereo system. I'd read an article in Video Review magazine on how to wire four speakers together to make what they called a "matrix-surround" setup, with two speakers behind you. The most notable moment when I tested it was when Luke is fighting Vader in Empire I think it was, and he throws his light saber away. It clatters along the floor until you hear it behind you. In Raiders of the Lost Ark, when the birds or bats or whatever they are fly out of the cave in the beginning, was very effective too.

Now though, I'm only watching on a 19" tube with built in stereo speakers, so I'm missing a lot.

15. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

The Honest trailer is okay, I think it idolizes classic trek a little much in its take on nutrek. I think people don't take honest trailers as well as everything wrong with because the attitude of the voiceover. Honest trailers is parodying trailer voiceovers and the movie itself, while Everything wrong with is just parodying the movie.

16. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    lol. "Do not actually kill the Gorn." "Correct." :)

17. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

It's quite spot on. All the "references" just remind me I could be watching a good movie instead. It's like seeing an ad for Boys Don't Cry during a TV airing of Avatar.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It was okay. Honest Trailers have done better examples of that formula before; this one could have been both funnier and shorter. It was also posted in this forum by TrekToday more than nine months ago, so you're running a little behind.

Oh, I doubt that. Really, I do. ;)

19. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Exactly. It's not like it's a hate video made by Devin Faraci. :lol: Loosen up, folks, it's all for fun.

Reminds me of how fans of THE MATRIX got so upset over this video thinking it was attacking the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGR4OMpMTQU Despite the fact that the info says it's the narrator's favorite film of all time. Does anyone have a favorite film of theirs that they can enjoy AND poke fun at?

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I don't hate the parody. I even find much of it amusing. I simply cannot take the idea that it's better than the actual movie with any degree of seriousness.