Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

By fanboys - if Disney wants to recycle the characters, it will without a second look, the money you spent on those books came in and was spent years ago.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I never liked how in the EU Luke discovers lots of adult Jedi who have hidden from the Empire. I would like to see it shown that without the Empire's interference more force sensitive children were being born. So that by the time of Episode 7 Jedi born after the Battle of Endor, now adults, have no memory of the Empire at all. It would be an interesting generational divide to explore.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Oh, I realize all that...I'm just saying that the EU---as inconsistent and often downright idiotic as it is---did come up with at least some good ideas that could work in a filmed motion picture if they were tweaked somewhat for adaptation to the timeline of the big screen. I for one wouldn't complain if the concept of Xizor were used in the next Trilogy but it probably won't in large part because of when the SOTE storyline takes place so I wouldn't get worked up over it. It was just an idea tossed out there to gauge reaction.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm more interested in a story featuring Leia than Luke.

We've already seen Luke as a Jedi. Seeing Leia swinging a lightsabre, teaching her force-sensitive children... that would really be exciting. We know that Leia does learn to use the force and become a Jedi from Luke's intuition in ROTJ.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, that's a pretty good read. Looking at the actual quotes, one can see how all of Lucas comments about the sequels are actually somewhat consistent from a certain point of view.

He had vague plans for all these movies, he said that plans change as the movies get made and eventually decided to focus just on the story of Anakin/Vader.

My favorite quote though was:

"Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Is it bad that I watched this and smiled? Am I a heretic?

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I couldn't care less what logo opens it. As long as we get the "A long time ago.." in the same color and font followed by the intro crawl.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You didn't hear? They're going with Comic Sans.

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

They (accidentally?) played a sound clip on NPR the other day during coverage of this story that sounded like audio from a trailer. I wonder if it was an accident because they started it playing while the journalist was talking, and they shut it off in the middle of it and acted like nothing had happened - didn't discuss or explain it at all. It had a woman's voice talking about how they had always known an ultimate confrontation would have to come between the Jedi and the Sith, and something about a Sith planet. I think you're right about the Sith, and I wish I knew where that clip came from.
    I'll agree that this is true of the EU, including SOTE. But I can't help but think it might be somewhat *less* true of SOTE - it wasn't run-of-the-mill EU stuff, it was part of a big Lucasfilm/LucasArts push with book, video games, soundtracks, trading cards, comics, action figures, the works, and they incorporated references of elements from SOTE into the ROTJ radio drama and into the Special Editions of the Original Trilogy. Lucasfilm referred to it as an interquel. Given that there have always been varying levels of "canon" for Star Wars, I'd have to say that I think SOTE is closer to film-canon than just about any other part of the EU.

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't imagine they would change that... if so, they wouldn't be calling it "episode VII."

11. cooleddie74

They won't change it. The trilogies have to flow together like a nine-part Saturday morning serial from the thirties or forties so even though Lucas won't be calling the direct shots anymore he'll have enough stroke and say over the proceedings that he'll get his way on certain things.

12. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I heard Papyrus ... oh wait, that's Avatar. :p

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not hoping for anything from the EU to make its way into the new films. Generally speaking, I have a greater preference to see elements from the Clone Wars cartoons, such as Ahsoka or Ventress, than elements from any of the books or comics. But on the other hand, I'm not predisposed to resist elements from the EU. It will all come down to the specifics of how the new films play when I'm sitting in the theater.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

How dare they! Disney clearly has no regard for the intricacies that are Star Wars. It's like they just took the franchise, tossed it to the ground and pissed all over it. This is an outrage! Any true fan should boycot this film.

Hey, it's about time someone started the Inevitable Rant.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, it is true. Change the font (or font size) and somebody will complain that they "raped my childhood".

16. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I can see an old Luke in the hermit obi wan role. Twin kids of han and leia makes sense as leads..boy and girl for more appeal. Not sure Disney would have a hero falls to dark side story line. Perhaps a cloned emperor as villan with a cloned vader....

Or since.it often seems Disney hates parents.... :) ;)Luke's teenage son raised by aunt leia who has daughter. Han and Luke apparently died years ago on secret mission. New sith lord arisesand kids engage. Turns out to be Luke who is brought.. back.from dark to light by his son. Puss off all the old.guys like me.but since.you are targeting kids 7 to 25 you are set;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I think a false assumption is being made here, not just by you, but by a LOT of people. Disney did not purchase Star Wars. They bought Lucasfilm. When Disney owned Miramax, they didn't suddenly start Disney-fying Hellraiser, or the Kevin Smith movies, or any of the other very UN-Disney movies that they released during that time. I'm not saying that Disney will have NO input - Star Wars is a big property that they have in their own theme parks - but Lucasfilm will almost certainly keep its own character, and if we don't get the 20th Century Fox fanfare, we will almost certainly get the Lucasfilm logo between the Disney opening and the opening crawl.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well it should interesting no matter what direction they go in and I cetainly hope that we haven't seen our last lightsaber duel.

19. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know they may not even use the Disney logo for Star Wars products. I mean, they could always use Touchstone.

20. cooleddie74

I imagine the Walt Disney logo will show up on SW toys and collectibles in the future, even moreso if the Disney people also decide to buy the Hasbro corporation which makes most SW-related merchandise. It might be relegated to small print on the backs of the packages and at the very bottom but it'll probably be there.