Question about Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by iarann, Aug 12, 2012.

1. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

So, I just recently read this novel and must say I was a bit disapointed.

There were things I liked, such as the framing story about the conspiracy to unseat Gowron (though I don't remember the clone being a good fighter at all in the episode of TNG he was in), but the "history" section of the novel left me with a bad taste in my mouth regarding the twist about the clone being of Morath. The actual story was fine, but the revelation he was not a clone of Kahless really put me off for some reason.

So my question is, have other books since this one was published made a mention to this "revelation"?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember there being any references to the clone not being Kahless's. But I haven't read the novel Kahless, so there could have been sublte references I didn't pick up on.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, it wasn't subtle. That was the whole final twist of the book. The whole thing was about how reality differs from the myth, and that revelation was the payoff.

I'm not sure it works, though. After all, the clone's appearance did match the portrait of Kahless we saw in "Rightful Heir."

4. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Morath and Kahless were twins?

5. iarann

It was not subtle. The history changes told a good story, but the clone not being Kahless felt wrong to me. I had forgotten about the portrait but that is a good point.

One of the myths debunked in the story is that they weren't really brothers.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I meant sublte references to the events of the book Kahless in current in continuity stories.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, as far as I know, that book hasn't been referenced since.

8. iarann

^Well, that is good to know. Thank you for the information.

9. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I believe there's a very, very subtle nod to this in A Time For War, A Time For Peace. Worf is talking about the Emperor then corrects himself to say clone and then says "Even that is in doubt" or something equally vague.