One Year Gap (spoilers, kinda)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by mattman8907, May 19, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't think it's ambiguous, especially when you look at all the time related dialogue in the film.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I missed that - how and where does he do it?

3. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

After he beams Kirk, Dr. Marcus and Scotty back to the Enterprise.

4. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

there had been a lot of victims in the 2009 movie too, a whole planet destroyed plus all the spaceships Nero destroyed. We never saw a scene where they were remembering those victims so couldn't Kirk be talking about ALL the victims, past and present? Also would they have Pike's (along with all the other victims) funeral one year after his death?
    IDK but the explanation that Kirk could be talking about the battle of vulcan + recent events makes sense to me. Also the idea of him growing up as a captain in the last year.

Honestly the one year gap doesn't make so much sense to me. What the characters did in that year? Are we supposed to know, at all? It's just weird.

they aren't canon but they're super-visioned and controlled by Orci who considers them sort of canon for this very reason.

The novelization by Alan Dean foster doesn't have this one year gab either and it's based on a draft of the script (though not all the scenes are accurate and there are some missing things but those can be explained with a) Alan making his own writing choices b) scenes that were in the most definitive draft that Alan didn't have c) scenes being put in the notes or alternate scenes)

I read some people over trekmovie asking the writers about this but either I missed it or Orci didn't answer.

If not the script surely Orci would tell them about it.
    The first comic has a scene with Robert April and one with the klingons talking about Kirk and it's pretty obvious from the way the events are depicted that there isn't a one year gab from a to b. Weeks, months? acceptavble but one whole year without nothing happening in the mean time and things beings still the same? not believable to me.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

More like re-writing those text books. :p

6. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

What's so weird about it?

FWIW: the German dubbed version also makes it as clear as the original English that those last scenes take place one year after the event of the movie.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lots of boards of inquiry, courts-martial, civilian and criminal trials. I hope.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

eh? It's not a funeral.

9. the Sisko

the Sisko Commander Red Shirt

That's a much different read than I had on the Enterprise's power failure. Chief Engineer Chekov told Kirk that they could warp but it could seriously damage the core.

Kirk then warps, which leaves the ship particularly vulrunable. Marcus catches up and does an alpha strike attack on the Enterprise's warp systems to knock it out of warp.

After they exit warp, Marcus continues his assault, so much so that Enterprise had no working systems save thrusters (in less than 30 seconds of total weapons fire) minimal shields and life support. It was so bad that Kirk/Khan attempt to board the ship via space jump rather than using the moment to retreat to nearby earth.

When Khan attacks (about 15 seconds), he uses phasers and torpedos, mostly on engineering and the warp engines. This was pretty straight forward... the Vengances weapons were stronger than Enterprise's shields and armor.

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Yeeees, thank you for re-telling the sequence of events.

Khan knocked the Enterprise out.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clearly it does. This thread proves that. IDW thinking the their comic follow-up is in the same year as the movie proves that.

For the record, I agree that the scene in 2260 and that Kirk's speech is referring to the fight with Khan having been a year ago. But there is just cause for confusion on the matter, as proven by everyone, even people on the inside, who are confused.