ST XI Enterprise conjecture

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by judexavier, Apr 9, 2008.

1. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

This is my attempt to recconcile the trailer images, and a few text descriptions of those who have seen the actual thing, or pre-production toys atleast.
    It is a WIP, so be kind.:)
    Love to see other conjectural art work, sketches and descriptions, 3D would be awsome. Might be a fun thread if we get into rebooted Kliingon ships, the mysterious octopus ship, etc...
    Using the 6' tall guy on the saucer, this seems to scale out to about 1012' long, so not too far off (?)...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/judexavier/STXINCC-17013View.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  2. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow Ill have to say that looks dead on. Combines the TOS and Movies look as well as alittle of Gabe's design. Can't wait to see how close your design will be once its finally revealed.

3. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I like this a lot :techman:
    Great work.

4. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

God I hope that's not the Trek XI Enterprise.

No offense to you or your work. You've done a fantastic job on these images and that seems like a very good extrapolation based on what images have been released. I just really don't think it looks appropriate at all for the TOS era. But that's not your fault.

I'm just assuming I will hate the new ship design if the trailer is any indication.

5. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like it, based on what we saw in the trailer I could see that being the same ship. Seems to combine the best bits of the TOS and Movie ships as well as a little bit from Enterprise and I love the 2 versions for the naccelles.

Any chance of any more renders from different angles?

6. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

Interesting. You've done a great job of extrapolating what the ship will look like based on what we've seen so far. However, I really hope that the secondary hull isn't that small in comparison to the nacelles.

7. Philo

Philo Commodore Commodore

Very nice work, judexavier. I actually like it a lot. However, I'm guessing the rest of the ship will not look this good when we see it judging by the fugly as hell nacelles you've been saddled with.

8. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

Nice! Great work on the ship.
    Personally I hope the nacelles are spread a little farther apart.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice work although I too hope it's not the final design. The nacelles seem too fat for the rest of the ship. Retro though.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

after seeing this design i wonder if they will reboot the TMP era and if so what would that look like

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Nicely rendered work, but I despair if the ship actually looks like that. If this were a person then I'd call it a caricature.

12. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did not get the impression that the nacelles were that big relative to the rest of the ship.

Marian

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether this is or isn't the new ship is beside the point to me. I'm just enjoying the artwork! What application did you use to make this?

14. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

It's a beautiful work of art, but I dread to think that this will be the Enterprise, although I know it most probably will be. But again, as a work of art, I like it.

15. ThomastheCat

ThomastheCat Captain Captain

This is a wonderful piece of art and I echo the sentiments of "How did you make it?" The detail is damned impressive. This looks 2D? Again, well done.

Also, this looks to be the best conjectural design I've seen so far based on what we know, and it's obvious you've watched that stinkin' teaser hundreds of times. :)

Love the little UFP logo on the aft secondary hull, that's a really nice touch.

As far as my comments on the aesthetics of the design itself, it'd be nice if the secondary hull was about a quarter again as big, right now I think the balance between the saucer, engines, and engineering hulls are off. Just my two cents though. Do we have any official hints on what the engineering section will look like yet? I haven't seen any myself.

16. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If JJ's ship turns out to be something close to what you've illustrated, I will take back almost all of the negative things I've said about him since the trailer premiered. No joke.

Setting aside some minor detailing and color palette issues (most of which stem from the source material,) I would be more than happy with this 1701, as seen 10-20 years before "The Cage."

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome! I'd be a happy man if that's how the Big-E turns out in Trek XI.

Good work!

18. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Nice work! I'm using this as my wallpaper now :)

19. AudioBridge

AudioBridge Captain Captain

Very nicely done, judexavier. But I have to echo the sentiment that if this is exactly or close to what they've done for Trek XI I'll be tremendously disappointed. Most of the changes to the real 1701 design would appear to be made for the sake of changing it.
    :klingon:

20. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

First off, thanks to everyone for the responses and observations.

Nice to hear after the fun I've been having. Lets see, sometime yesterday my son managed to aquire the Zlob trojan, spend most of the night and all day fighting that, purchased a spyware remover, that hasn't worked. Hooked up the old laptop, forgot my trekbbs password, rememered it, got a post almost finished, and realized the power cord to the laptop had pulled out because it suddently went dead. OH, and got a letter
    from the county telling me I'm doing jury duty...oh I know it could always be worse.

Anyway...

I did this in photoshop, about the only program I can actually use!
    I have to agree that the proportions seem off. Those huge nacelles look almost bug-eyed from the front. And the secondary hull, with the bigger bite taken out, and my stumpy deflector mount, (I don't know why I did that) does seem almost - "delicate"?
    I kept thinking that, as they refitted this, it would morph into a closer approximation of the original E.

I think the curvy "50's" look really came from trying to figure out those *weird* nacelle insides...I still really have no idea. The only hint for the stuff not seen in the trailer, were text descriptions, "nacelles bigger, more aerodynamic/organic, bigger bite from secondary hull, rest of ship looked similar to TOS/Movie Enterprise".

I can't remember exactly, from an interview with one of the art designers, something to the effect "that only the outside had to look the same"...I don't know, I'm feeling they only loosly followed that rule. :)

Anyway, thanks again for the kind compliments and suggestions.