Minor BTTF Part Two question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Marty was thinking.

"It will work out in end. Sure he tore up the letter NOW but he'll piece together later and ultimately wear a bulletproof vest"

BTTF 3 Marty could cause a paradox/more damage if he mentioned the letter again to Doc.

Doc- Oh right! Now i'm going to throw it in the trash after I ripped it up.

*More complications ensue.*

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think your wrong. It's not there YET -- the future hasn't happened yet! Haven't we been paying attention to the BTTF trilogy? :rommie:

It'll be in a future revised version, where they add in details like this a la George Lucas.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

From the writers' official FAQ, mandatory reading for every fan:

To be honest, yes, it very well should erase their existence from the future. This is, in fact, the ultimate paradox of Back to the Future Part II. We really thought about this one for a long time, but we finally decided that after the set-up of Doc saying "Something's got to be done about your kids," the audience would feel cheated if we went to the future and found out they didn't exist. You could, however, argue that existence of Old Marty, Old Jennifer and their kids in the future automatically proves that young Marty and Jennifer will eventually get back to 1985. The flaw in this reasoning is that Doc repeatedly tells us that the future isn't written, so why would this part of the future be "written?" Ah, but Back to the Future Part III may contain the answer to this question after all. When Doc spots the tombstone in 1885 and sees that the name on the photograph of the tombstone has vanished but the date remains, he says "We know this photograph represents what will happen if the events of today continue to run their course into tomorrow." That's a pretty big "if." And it suggests that time travel to the future always takes you to a future based on the events of the time you left — a logical extrapolation of what the future of that moment holds. Of course, the existence of free will allows for the possibility of infinite futures, which is what Doc says at the end of Back to the Future Part III: "Your future is whatever you make it." But time travel into the future takes you to the most likely future of the moment you left.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Yes, thank you. I have read that before.

As I stated, I am unable to rectify that glaring error in the film. As Zemekis says, they goofed at the end of BTTF Part I, mostly because they never intended to make a sequel. That scene at the end pretty much pigeon-holed them for Part II. The plot about the "kids" was pretty thin, which is why they had to beef it up with the real plot, the almanac.

Internally, following the logic of the BTTF universe, I am OK with things like the photographs or newspapers disappearing/changing. Those things are relics of a future time (that now exist in a past time), a time that is in jeopardy based on events that occur in the past. But in BTTF Part II, they are physically in that future time, so nothing they do there has any effect on, well, really anything.

It was cool to see the future (the whole point of making the movie). But if this were reality (hahaha) a better thing for Doc to do would be come back at the end of Part I and say, "Marty, your kids turn out to be assholes. In 30 years, make sure you keep an eye on them." Takes less jiggawatts that way.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Anyone ever consider what the "Mr. Fusion" on the back of the DeLorean (and presumably a power source used all over in 2015) is really capable of? Forget that it's capable of providing cold fusion in a small space and is "stable" enough to be mounted on a car. But what we see it do is simply incredible, on some levels it's more powerful than any other natural fusion reaction in the universe.

In massive stars hydrogen is fused together to form helium, then helium to form carbon, and some of the other elements are mixed in there but once a star (if its big enough) gets to iron it cannot go any further. At that point there's not enough energy in the star to fuse two iron molecules together to from the next element, at this point the star is so heavy and dense that it collapses into itself likely forming a black-hole.

When we see Doc use the Mr. Fusion at the end of BTTF 1/beginning of BTTF 2 we see him dump inside the Mr. Fusion chamber some eggs, beer, an aluminum can, styrofoam and some other pieces of garbage. "Somehow" the Mr. Fusion is capable of taking these materials that not only contain elements much more complex than hydrogen or helium but alos contains chemical compounds. Rather than pretty much doing nothing because it doesn't have the power to, the Mr. Fusion is able to take the stuff dumped into and convert it into raw, pure, energy. (Also I'm sure some number crunching of what we see Doc put into the device would equal far more than 1.21 GW.)

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doc probably thought that it would be better for Marty to see the future firsthand, to kind of shock him into changing his ways. Doc may have even known about Marty's tendency to freak out when somebody calls him "chicken". As Marty's friend, Doc thought this would be the best way to help him - by showing him what the future would be like. Otherwise Marty might have just sort of shrugged it off.

7. Trekker4747

Of course Doc feels it vitally, desperately, important to do RIGHT FUCKING NOW to "save" Marty's kids. Yet doesn't feel Marty needs to know, at all, about the accident he's about to in that'll ruin his entire future.

8. tighr

Well, on the other hand, Marty just grows up to be a loser who can't play the guitar and will never end up like Bill and Ted nor go on to have a successful music career. But Marty's kid ends up on the cover of FUCKING USA Today for trying to rob a bank.

But your point about "right now" is well taken. They've got all the time in the world. 30 years, in fact, to formulate a plan.

9. Trekker4747

Note that the USA Today is called the "Hill Valley Edition", suggesting the local paper was bought-out by national corporation.

10. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet that super powerful fusion reactor managed to collide with a locomotive without exploding.

11. Trekker4747

A true fusion reactor not dependent on a fission reactor to operate would be extremely stable and not prone to explosion. Which is an "error" in TDKR where the fusion power reactor is used as a bomb. In reality the fusion reactor would simply become a paper weight once disconnected from a fuel/power source. The fusion reaction would also simply stop if no longer controlled or being maintained, also any loss of containment would result in minimal radioactive waste. Fusion requires a very precise and specific set of circumstances to control and maintain, it's a pot of food that needs to be constantly monitored and maintained. If everything doesn't go perfectly it'll simply not work.

Besides, when the DeLorean collided with the train it had just arrived back to the future and likely had spent its fuel, powering down the fusion reactor.

12. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie desperately needs some CGI fixes. The Delorean flying scenes need to be redone. Particularly the ones in 1985. That plane that flies ovehead of them look so fake, and the flying scenes from Biff's Tower was so badly done.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just why?

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just no more like.

If the SFX don't look perfect it's because it was made 24 years ago, not 24 minutes ago.
    Deal with it.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Zemeckis and Gale don't believe in revising films. It would be like putting CGI creatures in Wizard of Oz.

16. GalaxyX

Which is fine, therefore I don't need to purchase the Blu-Rays. I already have the DVD's which are perfectly fine for me.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

My DVD's were scratched. A buddy was nice enough to get me the blu-rays for Christmas!

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Quite frankly, I prefer the non-CGI stuff that's in the movies, since a lot of times the CGI that's in movies tends to look rushed and just doesn't hold up to real models. Real models just tend to add a depth of dimension to the movies that CGI tends to lack.

19. GalaxyX

So fix up the scenes with real models then!

If they want to keep repackaging the same 3 movies over and over again, at the least fix the stuff that was wrong with them.

20. tighr

I bought the DVDs the day they came out.

I bought the Blu-Rays the day they came out.

Bar none, my favorite film trilogy.