Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

how are you guy doing the overhead maps? they are pretty impressive

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I use Cartograph G. It's based off the old Cartograph so it does top-down, isometric, cave-mode... and all that jazz. The one thing it's missing that I'd like it to have is biome colours for the grass.

4. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I used MCMapEdit before the update, but it was very cumbersome and took forever to load. I deleted it as soon as I reset my spawn point.

And then I created a new world when 1.4 and 1.4.01 rolled around... sigh

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the link Robert. Took me a few tries, but I finally got a map. It helped me find my original spawn point and failed base. I should go there and see if I left anything salvagable behind.

Also spotted a surface lava pool off the the south I need to visit.

Oh, and I finally got myself a wolf! I was walking through the woods and spotted him stuck under a tree. I'm gonna be extra careful with this one.

6. Robert Maxwell

I finally saw a wolf attack a sheep last night. Hadn't seen that until now. :lol: It was an untamed wolf. Do tamed wolves attack sheep, too, or just the wild ones?

7. Itisnotlogical

Tamed wolves only attack what you tell them to attack, except for creepers. Untame wolves will randomly attack sheep in the area.

8. Robert Maxwell

I figured. Too bad I can't use a pack of wolves as cannon fodder against creepers. :lol:

9. TheGodBen

[​IMG]

Today was a day of sheep. Including my first pink sheep. :techman:

I finally got to begin work on my Temple of Notch. For some stupid reason, I felt that such an important building required a wool carpet, not a lazy cobblestone or wood floor. I spent the next 2 and a half hours wandering the world looking for sheep to punch. Somehow, I found more coal during my search than I did wool, and I'm not even sure how that's possible. :confused: Anyway, after all that work I felt so proud of the finished product that I felt the need to show it off.

From my tower:
    [​IMG]

From the front:
    [​IMG]

From the door:
    [​IMG]
    (Notch needs to add coloured glass.)

From the altar:
    [​IMG]

And here's my fortress thus far, as seen from the new steeple:
    [​IMG]

10. Cutter John

Oooh now thats nice Ben. Well done! Love the chandeliers.

Have you thought about using some smoothstone for a two tone effect and cross shaped windows for the temple?

Currently looking for several hundred bits of wool for my airships balloon. So I can sympathize.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That looks awesome, Ben. It looks like you built yourself a Great Wall :)

12. Cutter John

13. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I mostly build stuff so my son can run around inside and do whatnot to it. He's burnt down the pirate ship I've built him several times....I just finished off a tunnel to an undersea dome facility. I can't wait to see him drown it. :lol:

Today was a day of slimes. I've never seen them before, then today as I exited a monster trap area I came acrossed a herd of the little guys. I wish I could make them pets. :)

14. Itisnotlogical

^^

The littlest ones won't do damage to you and will harmlessly follow you around, so they can kind of be considered pets.

15. TheGodBen

I saw my first ever slime last week. My cousin was here and I was showing him my world, I went down into my mine and when I looked into one of the branches it was green. I thought that it was a graphical glitch at first, but once I realised what it was I left the mine without daring to bother it. It was a big bugger, almost as big as a ghast.

I decided not to put a cross or any real-world religious symbolism in there, I even changed its name from Church of Notch to Temple of Notch for that reason. It is clearly based on Christian churches as that's what I'm used to, but beyond that it's agnostic. As for smooth stone, that's out of the question right now as I'm rationing coal. I've got a few stacks of it already but, even with the extra coal that I kept stumbling across yesterday, I fear I will run out because of all the torches I will need to light up the area. I don't want to end up using my emergency torch reserve, that's strictly for the time when Notch replaces torches with lanterns (if ever).

As for the temple, I'm waiting for the introduction of pistons so that I can have a secret button that moves a section of the alter to provide secret access to my tunnel network. That will be some serious Assassin's Creed shit right there! ;)

On the plus side, it allows you to explore areas you haven't seen before, which is something that you don't normally experience when mining for resources.

Also, I hope for your sake that lightning doesn't set things on fire, otherwise your airship will go up like the Hindenburg. :scream:

The wall is a bit stubby right now and I fear that spiders will be able to jump on it. Luckily, I have enough cobblestone left over from the temple that I should be able to raise the wall another block or two. I plan to do that same with the wall of my fortress.

16. Robert Maxwell

I can't imagine lightning would set things on fire. It doesn't make the game any more fun, and it would forbid from building anything out of wood or wool, lest it go up in flames with the next storm. At a minimum, if Notch wants lightning to start fires, then he should add a lightning rod recipe to stick at the highest point of your wooden house. :p

17. Cutter John

^^ Yeah, I don't see it either. That would be seriously game breaking.

Ben - I didn't mean religious crosses so much, more like large plus signs. Just a thought.
    And wait. Rationing coal? Thats one I've never heard of. I usually end up with so much I just ignore it after a couple of days. :)

18. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I've not worried about coal since the introduction of charcoal. I'll cook a stack of logs with a stack of planks and be all good for a long time.

Also, on lightning, I think he said something about rain putting out any open fires, so I doubt lightning strike fires would matter.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Robert Maxwell

They all look fine to me, and there haven't been any changes since the 10th.