PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by aalenfae, May 21, 2014.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

2. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, there aren't many Starfleet ships that will appear in this film. Think of a normal Star Trek episode, and usually the only Starfleet ship is the main ship. In this case, the story features two Starfleet ships - the Pacific and the Interceptor. But the NX-Class will have a short moment to shine, as well. But beyond that, there's not much to mention.

3. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

Just noting some commonalities and was curious if this a case of Hodgkin's Law or there was some inspiration, and I agree the 201 is a nicer design.

4. aalenfae

Yeah, I meant to address the similarities, since I thought that might be a goal of you posting that - whoops.
    There's definitely some similarity in that design to the 201. But I actually have never seen this design before! The 201's nacelle configuration is inspired by the Constellation-class more than anything.

5. aalenfae

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsBc1GaaOY[/yt]

A new production video blog! In this installment, I talk about what inspired the Pacific and influenced its design.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Well spoken and reasoned. Carry on. (although there is something to be said for ergonomics)

7. aalenfae

Ergonomics, you say?

8. aalenfae

Here's a new prototype costume we've been working on: an officer's jumper.

[​IMG]

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The thing on the top of the nacelles looks like something from Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) or Macross (Robotech) :) D

10. aalenfae

Haha, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't any Yamato influence in my work!

On another note, here's the prototype officer jumper on an actual person!
    [​IMG]

11. aalenfae

12. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

Nice to know the story behind the badge, personal data card. :) It sounds interesting indeed.

Question: What is that 'moon' doing in the Starfleet logo?

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Cool. If you want to make it actually practical it should have the person's name on it, as name tags are what real militaries include.

14. aalenfae

This Starfleet logo is supposed to be some kind of compromise between the ENT and TOS era logos.
    [​IMG]
    Though it's subject to change, of course. I might yet make the arrowhead a little more skinny in the "2200" version.
    Good point! We might be making them more character-specific when we actually get to that phase. Right now we just have one badge to use as reference on costumes and stuff, and the specific details aren't quite set in stone.

15. aalenfae

Some new stuff going on over here.
    Here's a new production video where we talk about the style of storytelling and the historical setting of the film:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6EbTY9KBhM[/yt]

16. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You guys deserve a lot more attention than you're getting. Pacific 201 is rapidly becoming my most anticipated new Trek production, right along side Axanar. Then again there is no real short supply these days of fantastic productions. (The concluded Exeter episode, Continues, Phase II, Axanar, et al...)

I hope you guys can kick this into warp drive. I love the fact that you're paying close attention to storytelling. I've often felt that many fan productions, for better or worse, focused a bit too much on the spectacle, and as you say "dressing up as their favorite characters." Don't get me wrong, it's all a labor of love obviously. However, giving story, character, and the world serious consideration, and stepping aside of the fact that it's "Star Trek" and instead focusing on telling a compelling story is the best way to go about thinking about it. :)

17. Borgminister

Checking out the website (his personal one I mean), you'll see this talented young man has many logs in the fire, Pacific 201 being just one of them. It is one project he's cutting his teeth on on his journey toward a career in the arts, I'm sure.

I too am eager to see the film take shape, but understand that it won't do so in short order (unfortunately).

18. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Many Star Trek Fan Films move along slowly. I have Pacific 201 listed as under active development. As fan films go, this is not moving at a snail's pace.

19. Borgminister

I meant just in terms of not a lot of responses to posts is all... :) Like I said this looks very promising!

20. aalenfae

Thanks for the feedback! It's great to know that people are interested in the project!

Things are definitely moving forward, but we won't really kick into high-gear until the middle of May, when I've graduated and have all the time in the world to finally devote to this project. Expect a lot more coming a lot faster in the coming months!

In the meantime, it looks like we might be seeing Romulans in this film.
    -
    [​IMG]