Spoilers ENT: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Oct 20, 2011.

?

Rate To Brave the Storm.

1. Outstanding

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Average

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Below Average

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Poor

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm review thread

And the ending of this book doesn't exactly set the fate of the ship in stone. Who knows when or why that refit happened. In fact, the ENT novels don't mention an NX class past Endeavor (NX-06) but IFM mentions Intrepid (NX-07).

So I imagine the NX line wasn't shut down permanently during the war, just until it made economical sense to start the line again. Perhaps after the war, the Daedaluses were retired again and the NX line restarted. Perhaps with more time, the NXs were refit just as the Constitutions and Mirandas would be in the next century.

In a similar vein, wasn't the "Ship of the Line" picture of the crashed Columbia published before Destiny was written?

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC they get an advance, and if the royalties they would have got ever exceed that advance they get royalties.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Right. We get contracted by the book (sometimes 2 or more books in one contract, depending), and are paid an advance on royalties, plus further royalties if we ever earn out the advance.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting. What happens if you unfortunately don't out earn the advance? Do you have to pay it back? Is it possible to not earn out the advance?

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I understand it, they can keep the advance no matter what, as long as they have fulfilled their contractual obligations. IIRC Christopher and the other authors of the canceled new timeline novels could keep their advance although not a single copy was printed/sold.

6. Christopher

That's right. The advance is ours to keep. But if we earn it out, if the total royalties we earn exceed the amount of the advance, then we get paid the additional royalties. (This very rarely happens with tie-in novels, since the royalties have to be shared with the franchise owner and so the author's percentage is lower.)

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there any more Enterprise books scheduled?

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher, you may not be able to answer this (well, actually, with your SCE stories you might), but when there's an omnibus of previously-existing material, do they usually give the author a new advance? Is it royalties-only? Or does it depend on the publisher/specific contract?

9. Christopher

^Actually the only royalties I've ever been paid to date are for the trade-paperback collections containing my e-books. So no, there's no new advance, but royalties are paid directly to the author rather than being counted against the advance on the e-book. I'm not sure why that is, though I'm sure not complaining. And I don't know how it might differ for other publishers.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. The image of the Columbia crash site was in the 2007 Ships of the Line calendar, meaning the image itself was likely done up in 2006. Destiny was published in 2008.

I believe it has been stated that Columbia's fate in Destiny was inspired by the SotL image.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No not right now. Micheal Martin asked the editors if he could write another Enterprise novel.He hasn't heard back from them yet. It depends on how well To the brave storms books sales.In his recent interview Micheal said never say never he wants to write more Enterpise era fiction.

12. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Got my e-book copy on Kobo this morning and read it before I went out for lunch. It was a quick, short read and as has been said above, it did seem rushed at the end.

I am glad Trip and T'Pol had some closure (literally as it was the last chapter!) and that it was a happy ending for them, but I sure wish we'd gotten the how.

13. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

Caution Spoiler below.

Finished my Kindle copy this weekened. I gave this an above average. Like most people here I looked forward to this book and found it lacking. Not being an big fan of the Enterprise series as a whole, I was excited to find something worth the read in Beneath the Raptors Wing and that delevered. However, To Brave the Storm was rushed, and incomplete. Too may plot lines like Trip's rescue not explained.

Because of this "rushed" feel I actually missed a part and would like to ask a question. How did T'Pau give up the katra of Surak? I remember the part when T'Pol realizes T'Pau has it and then the katra is killed in the explosion at Mount Seleya. When did she give it up and how?

Again, overall a decent book. It is one I did not want to put down. Hopefully not the end of the Enterprise series. These past two books have given me an interest in this series.

Kevin

14. MatthiasRussell

^ Your comments don't seem to support an "above average" rating.

In reading reviews at Amazon of both Romulan War books, however, I've noted several positive reviews that still point out serious flaws.

15. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

Exactly. What was there was a very good read, hence the rating. My issue wasa with the rushed feel of this book, not with what was actually in the book.

16. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

I'm really trying hard to finish this. lol I'm finding it very difficult and I'm 213 pages in.

The way he writes its like you don't get to see anything happening. The ENT goes to the Kuiper belt and finds the problem. Then the chapter ends and you find out what happened but you don't get to see it!

Anyone else feel like this?

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Would it be possible for Mr. Martin to post here or link to a blog indicating what got cut?

18. MatthiasRussell

That was the chief complaint in my review.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^And in pretty much ever review of one of his solo books that I've seen on here. I haven't read any of them yet to judge for myself, but it definitely is a common trait in the comments I've read.

20. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Picard mentions in IFM that there were roughly 15 or 16 NX-class ships built before the class was retired, so at least eight or nine were built after Intrepid.