Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2010.

1. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's mine:

-Wesley isn't that bad, when you consider he lost his father at a very young age and has a clinging mother who treats him like he's 5, not 15. Besides, he is always right.
    - ENT is the best Trek show of them all.
    - Mostly, I can't stand Kirk.
    - ST09 was a fun action flick.
    - I detest Q.
    - TWOK is overrated. Chiefly because I cannot stand Khan, he should be shot on sight, the arrogant bastard.

2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool topic. Some of mine echo others, but here goes:

1. "Far Beyond The Stars" is criminally over-rated. Watched it again at the weekend - it's OTT, melodramatic and without a proper resolution ("ooh, that's what makes it so deep and interesting!" fans may cry, but I ain't buying it).

2. I preferred DS9 before it became over-focused on the war. It lose what made it special. My fave seasons are 4-5. Seasons six and seven were disappointing.

3. TWOK is also very over-rated. It's fine, but no better or worse than "The Search For Spock" in my opinion.

4. Pulaksi is certainly a lot more interesting than Crusher! I wish she'd stayed on after season 2.

5. TNG Season 2 is a great season, that's often grouped up with season 1 in most people's minds, in the argument that "season 3 is when it became good". I think season 2 is a strong run, with several real standout episodes.

6. "Nemesis" is a decent Trek movie. It had the same strengths and weaknesses as the rest of the TNG (indeed, all Trek) movies. It wasn't the best, but definitely not the worst (TMP takes that title).

7. Rick Berman did far more good for Trek than he ever did bad. It frustrates me no end that most fanboyz forget he was there from 1987 and did an epic job of steering Star Trek.

8. "Q" is a lame character that outstayed his welcome post-"Deja Q".

3. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

ENT is my second favorite series after TNG. It should have been Voyager that was cancelled. The first two seasons are also OK and much better than the first two seasons of TNG.
    Yesterday's Enterprise is a very bad episode. (that's a very unpopular opinion)
    I can't stand Tasha Yar.
    Wesley isn't that bad.
    TOS is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do respect it as the first series of the franchise, but it was sexist and overall so '60s. It did have a nice chemistry between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, though.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Post-TOS Klingons are rubbish - I much prefer the little smooth headed bastards rather than girly haired warriors harping on about 'honour' whenever it suited them.

Star Trek V is brilliant - Probably the best 'idea' of all the Star Trek films, with some brilliant dialogue (even if certain characters are short changed. Still, fuck 'em). I hate how Star Trek somehow became synonymous with 'action' after the 'failure' of V.

Series IV of Enterprise is as good as any TNG season (certainly better than I and II).

Trek XI is not the 2nd coming of Star Trek - Probably the worst story of any Star Trek. Kirk and Spock have had their day but if we're going to use them then use them and not some mirror versions.

Male Chauvinism is okay - Mini skirts FTW. Also, so what if all Uhura does is answer the phone? That's her job.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Yesterday's Enterprise is pretty good, but over-rated.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was fantastic.

Worf is not funny in any way.

The Destiny trilogy is good, but gets way too much talk on the TrekLit forum.

6. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like TOS Klingons, even up through the movies, way more than TNG Klingons. I even like their look better. Admit it -- those stripey shirts and sparkly pants were snazzy.

I'm not sure this is unpopular, but I absolutely hate the "V" on the foreheads of TNG Romulans. It was a damn plot point in "Balance of Terror" that the Romulans looked just like Vulcans, and with that big "V" on their foreheads they look no more like Vulcans than whatever forehead alien of the week looks like Humans.

Star Trek (2009) is a fun movie to watch, but kind of sucks as a Star Trek movie. But the whole alternate timeline deal was sufficient for me to accept the changes within the context of the movie.

I don't think TV Picard and Movie Picard even seem like the same guy.

I think that by the time of TNG Gene Roddenberry was buying his own hype and Trek as a whole suffered for that.

7. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

- Kirk was the worst of all the Trek Captains. Too one dimensional and lacked depth.
    - Generations was a good film.
    - Picard's moral nature was a weakness and not a strength of the character.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that's actually the popular opinion. I certainly agree.

I should also add that I'm not crazy about Q, and that I think season 2 of DS9 is great and better than season 3, possibly season 7 as well. I don't know if it's that unpopular of an opinion, but many people like to repeat the mantra "season 3 is when the show gets good".

9. Shazam!

Further to the Romulan 'V' dicussion, I'd like to add the 'bowl cut'. It's fine on Spock, but does every Vulcan/Romulan need to have the same hair style? T'Pol looked way better in Season 4 with slightly longer hair (and a change of wardrobe).

10. Shazam!

Trip Tucker - Died in TATV and stayed dead.

11. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

23rd and 24th Century humans will NOT be just like 20th century humans with better weapons.;)

12. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

1) I don't like DS9's Duet.
    2) I like TNG's Shade of Gray and VOY's Threshold.
    3) "Trip" Tucker is my least fave ENT character. Kinda' pleased he was killed off.
    4) I like Neelix.
    5) Generations is my fave TNG film; TMP my fave TOS film.

13. threeb

threeb Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Many of mine echo what has already been posted:

• I actually liked Neelix
    • Wesley didn't bother me all that much
    • I treat The Animated Series (and many of the novels) as canon
    • Q was used WAY too much
    • The Borg are my least favorite alien species of all times, and were definitely overused
    • My three favorite characters from TOS are McCoy, Uhura, and Spock (no Kirk)
    • I liked Threshold for the camp factor
    • IMHO, the Vulcans have characteristics that are a bit too Mary Sue-ish (can heal themselves, live 300 years, have ginormous IQs, etc.) and was glad to see a few portrayed with flaws.

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here.

15. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a few of us out there!

16. Withers

Withers Captain

I was not at all irritated that the Borg baby disappeared in the same episode in which it was introduced. When I saw that I thought to myself "Grandma Janeway? C'mon, don't de-sexy her any more than you already have!" I had these images of her sitting in a rocker with Borg baby looking out into a star field, pinning for Mark and her dogs.

*Grimace*

So, yeah, they spotted a terrible idea and eliminated it almost fast enough (fast enough would have been removing it from the episode all together.)

-Withers-​

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The majority on this site.

I've been all over the internet and this is the only place where the Enterprise-D is better. TrekBBS is home to a hive of Trekkie Iconoclasts.

Yeah, pretty much.

Yeah, watching City on the Edge of Forever is a bit like watching The Matrix.

It's apparently the best ever, but when you watch it, it doesn't live up to the hype.

18. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

These points could be mine as well.
    Also:
    - DS9 is a soap opera and since I do not like soap operas, it is my least favorite series.
    - TOS is still my favorite series, its production standards are good for its time and should not be compared to later production standards.
    - Wesley Crusher was my favorite TNG main character. Too bad Beverly did not stay at SF Medical so he could be his own person.
    - Pulaski was a much better character than Dr. Crusher. I like her attitude, even her android prejudice which made her believable as a character.
    - ENT was a bad idea for a series. It was boxed in by canon. We already knew what a Klingon, Vulcan, etc. was so what was new to explore?
    - ^ST09 got it right in that department, if canon gets in the way it has to go in order to tell the story.

Thanks for providing a thread where we can all get it off our collective chests.:techman:

19. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Third season TOS better than second. Weirdness trumps Big-2 rut.

I think Way to Eden is actually good. If ITS production values bother you, then be consistent and be bothered by ALL of TOS' production values.

I don't think TOS' City on the Edge of Forever is ALL that great.

I HATE the Ent-D. I didn't know there were people who loved it, frankly. Super huge bulbous saucer with tiny nacelles. Looks like a decent model got left in the oven when somebody turned it on pre-heat without looking first.

I don't mind Wesley.

Garak is THE BEST character in all of Trek. If you made a clips DVD of his dialog, you'd swear he had an entirely dif. stable of writers than the other characters got.

Enough for now.

No - one more: Nemesis is no worse than most Berman era flicks.

20. Withers

Withers Captain

"Best" might be a little too high of praise but there are certainly plenty of people who really, really, really like Garak. The writers had to have him continually kill people without reservation so as to remind the audience he was more of an anti-hero.

I don't think, when it comes down to it, many people would disagree with this either. I mean it's like smelling crap from different types of cats... they all smell pretty awful.

-Withers-​