ARLINGTON, Wash. Mud slide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gil T.Azell, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ARLINGTON, Wash. Mud slide (Update)

Thoughts and prayers to those affected by this.

Story

108 are now feared missing :(

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

ouch! That's bad :( Thankfully, no BBSer was affected.
    I hope the missing people are found soon (and alife!)

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I used to visit that town all the time, one of my childhood friend's grandmothers lived there. BBC is reporting 14 dead and 176 missing...I didn't realize the destruction was on such a scale. The photos, especially the one of the new cliff face where the land broke away, are astonishing.

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I've been watching too. It's all the rain we've had...

5. rhubarbodendron

176 missing? Wow! :( In the news over here they said 14 dead and 108 missing, with 35 houses destroyed.
    It'll propably take a day or two till we get exact figures as people gradually turn up. Missing atm only means theuir whereabouts are currently unknown. It doesn't necessarily mean they are dead or injured. Many may have been shopping or on a vacation or at work and are now simply too shocked or too busy with helping to report to the authorities. I am confident that the figure will shrink considerably within the next days.

What's more important atm: how's the weather there? Are there shelters for the inhabitants of the 35 destroyed houses? Will their insurances pay (often they don't in case of natural catastrophies)? Is everyone getting all the help they need or is there something we can do to be of assistance?

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

7. rhubarbodendron

Thank you!!

In the news they said today that 2 more bodies were dug out. They located another 8 bodies but can't get to them yet. 176 people are still missing.
    I hope that those of the missing who are alife and well will report to the authorities really soon. Just think of what a horrible torture it is for their families and friends not to know whether their loved ones are dead or alife.

Edited to update: currently (Thursday morning) there are 90 people missing. Which means that 86 reported to the authorities and are (afaik) unhurt. That must be quite a relief for their families. I hope the last 90 will turn up alife and well, too

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Also be careful if you live near a colliery (spoil) tip, like Aberfan.