World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    So there is no mention of Robert April at all in the film?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice try. :p

Although, just in case you're not yanking my chain and you actually don't remember that episode: A Starfleet ship, the Valiant, is shown to have an entire crew comprised solely of cadets (the infamous Red Squad). This is because the Valiant was intended as their training vessel, but a Dominion attack killed all the actual officers. The real captain, in his last dying act, promoted one of the cadets to Captain. (All of the other cadets also have field ranks like Commander etc.) Later, Jake and Nog come aboard. I distinctly remember DS9 viewers mentioning that Nog should have had the rights to take command since he was a real officer, and none of the cadets were, since their promotions were all temporary.

So why doesn't the same thing apply to Kirk here? If, as Neftoon has implied (but strangely enough, Iano seems to be refuting), Cadet Kirk is given the permanent command of the Enterprise, that shouldn't work, since he's only a cadet - not a real officer. Spock should automatically outrank him.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    How badly is Starfleet (and the Federation) crippled in the film?

Are there any Klingons in the film?

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember it, and you're saying that because viewers got all silly and took that ridiculously seriously they really really should do the same thing now. OTOH, I'd call the fact that folks who've seen the movie just lightened up and enjoyed it "progress."

Probably not the same people anyway. :lol:

5. Neftoon

Neftoon Lieutenant Red Shirt

The flash forward is between the final battle/pike rescue and the medal scene and only a couple of weeks at most, the command was stated as being temporary but i think if kirk doesn't screw up pike would let him keep the command after all he did just save most of the federation. So they definitely didn't make a cadet permanent captain in the film, which would be stupid as he could have just fluked it , but that is why we need the sequel to see where the story goes, i did get the impression after a trial period the temporary would be permant, but that was my impression, before seeing the movie such a leap would be unbelievable, after seeing it i'd buy it.

6. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Klingons no, although everyone keeps talking about a deleted scene with Klingons that might end up on the DVD.

Crippled...
    They sent out a bunch of ships to confront the Narada. When the Enterprise arrives they've all been decimated. So yeah they get tore up. The Enterprise would've been destroyed easily except Nemo halted the attack recognizing the ship name.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Interesting. So is the Kobyashi Maru simulation that same set of circumstances as it is in TWOK? Or is it just a similar no win situation?

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Baba, for Pete's sake, stop badgering the poor guy; you're asking the same questions over and over. This isn't an interrogation; he's doing us a favor -- all of us.

9. Neftoon

although they still had a fleet at the lakara( don't know if that's how it's spelt) system so not all the ships got destroyed fortunately, the escape is mentioned from the klingon prison but not shown. So as Iano mentioned hopefully on the blu-ray (or dvd).

10. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to badger anyone. Nef, Iano, please accept my apologies. :(

11. Iano

Most definitely, and its the best part of the movie imo. :)

12. Iano

Hey no worries.

13. Neftoon

Pines performance in the kobayashi maru was awesome, karl urban was also good in that seen.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I can already tell that Karl Urban is gonna be one of the best actors in this whole film. From what I've seen, he absolutely NAILED the persona of Dr. McCoy. (Especially in that one shuttle scene.) I think De Kelley would be proud.

I'm already trying to work out when the Blu-Ray is likely to be released. :D

15. Neftoon

No worries i keep forgetting how detail oriented people, i should have stressed it was just my impression, i just hope people see it at least once before deciding if they like it, i think it's going to be a great companion piece to the original series, as nothing will ever replace the original series and i don't think they tried to do that with this film thankfully.

16. Iano

Agreed! He nails it on several occasions and so do many of the other actors and actresses. I was very impressed on how well the cast resembles the original crew in persona.

17. Neftoon

Urban is fantastic in the film, in my opinion he had the hardest job of all the actors in replacing de, and he does a fine job.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

As long as they leave it somewhat openended at the conclusion of the film (as to whether Pike can once again assume command), I'm okay with it. Strange as it may sound, I'm not a Pike fanboy, nor do I have anything against Kirk as a character. I guess I'm just too attached to the regular chain of command. The idea of a cadet - any cadet - going straight to a permanent captaincy, of a major ship of the line no less, does not exactly fire me up. If Pike retains command of the ship, but decides to keep Kirk on the crew and eventually - after several years - does give him the job permanently, I can believe that. I hope the film allows for that possibility. (It would be interesting, as I don't believe Kirk and Pike ever actually served together in TOS.) But in the meantime, let Kirk spend some time - no matter how short - as an Ensign, LT JG, Lieutenant, LCDR, and CDR before he makes Captain. Doesn't that make sense?

19. Neftoon

It does and it is open ended in the film so you don't have to worry, going to have lunch and watch property ladder now so have fun everyone.

20. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

I'm still curious whether Nero recognized this as an AU or not like apparently old Spock does.