Should JJ Abrams direct Star Trek 4?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jul 17, 2015.

?

Should JJ Abrams direct Star Ttek 4

1. Yes. He should come back and direct the film.

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No. He has moved on

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Re: JJ Abrams should direct Star Trek 4

Me, too. All I want is a good story and a fun couple of hours in the theatre - hopefully two or three times.

2. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im taking the non-existent third option.

'I'm fine with him coming back, but not actively wishing for him to do so.'

It's nothing against him. I'm just (probably) good either way.

3. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

I to wish that Abrams would have adhered to what was set forth at the beginning. One of my big problems with Abrams films is the lack of McCoy being part of the dynamic. They replaced him with Uhura. You have to admit Urban out of all the actors got his character to what it was originally conceived as. Also during the second film while the special effects were fantastic I was disappointed that they has the enterprise being pounded by a larger more advanced black ship again near Earth. I want to see some deep space adventure before the actors decide to call it quits. Basically I think Pegg will bring what we want. I think Abrams had his day and now hes moved on to Star Wars and lets admit it most of us here are probably SW fans also so you get the best of both worlds. Abrams will direct SW and we get a new guy for ST who will probably bring something new to the table as well as hopefully eliminating the lens flares altogether.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Abrams is only directing The Force Awakens. Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow will direct the next two episodes.

5. Pubert

Yeah I know. I'm actually surprised he only opted for the first one. If its a huge hit and the 2nd is a flop I bet they bring him back by offering him a wheelbarrow full of money.

6. BillJ

None of the Star Wars movies will flop. But Trevorrow (Episode IX) knows how to make franchise big-budget blockbusters. His Jurassic World has done okay at the box office.

7. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.

It makes no sense that they would take the job away from the director that's assigned to episode IX. Plus, Abrams will more than likely have a film he's working on by then anyways (probably why he only signed on to direct one of the sequels), so the odds of him suddenly stepping back in to direct another Star Wars is slim to none.

8. Pubert

They won't unless we get a real crappy story which is pretty nil. Even if we did get a crappy story most of us would go. So yeah there is no chance any will flop until Disney beats the franchise into the ground that is.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Kasdan was writing the whole trilogy?

10. Pubert

Yeah I thunk he was to. Hes a great writer and we need good star wars stories this time. To me the director is secondary.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Which supposition would only make sense if Abrams had been offered the chance to direct more than one. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

12. Firebird

For a franchise like Star Wars, the director is as important as the writer. You could have the greatest script on the planet, but if you don't have the right director for it, it'll fly as well as a stone blimp.

13. BillJ

Probably more so, because there will be outlandish things and the director has to sell it to the audience.

14. Pubert

Watch Spielbergs 1941. You might change your mind. Now that movie was a pile of poop and trust me the writing stunk. No amount of genius directing could save it.

15. Firebird

I must disagree with you. 1941, for all its flaws, is actually a pretty decent comedy; it works much better in its extended edition. I'm willing to cut it some slack, because Spielberg did a good job executing it, and certainly the writers, Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, didn't do a half bad job on the script. IIRC, it was their first major project, so you can't exactly expect them to be at their Back to the Future caliber right off the bat.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. So much this.

17. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Ridley Scott for ST4 - Star Trek Borg Invasion (2019)

18. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Good god, no.
    Have you seen Prometheus?

;)

19. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Ridley Scott.... so instead of lens flare.... FOG.... lots & lots of FOG.... so you can hardly see anything that's going on.... because of all the FOG.... ;-)

20. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read an article about them wanting him for the sequel too because they liked the job he did for the first but apparently he didn't want to do the sequel. Something about needing a pause to be with his family. That's in the realm of rumors though.

to be honest, from the little I know of him as a writer and director from other stuff, even him making two movies for trek wasn't a given because he rarely seems to stick to one project for too long, at least as a writer and director too (his role as a producer seems to be the most constant). When he decides to not direct other movies it isn't really a matter of him 'caring' about a project because even when he doesn't direct, if a project is his 'baby', so to speak, he still remains involved as an active producer (e.g., see him asking Lin to direct and thinking about Pegg as a possible writer). Honestly, his choices had made it so he has created a career for himself and a good curriculum.

same here. At the moment I don't know yet if I'll even WANT another movie. If the next one goes well and I like it then why not? But before thinking about the director I'll have to firstly hope they get the cast together since, so far, only Chris and Zachary have a contract for another movie.
    I'm not against JJ coming back because I liked his work. If I'll like Lin's work as well I might be fine about him coming back too.