Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

"pain like a Terileptil's hunting knife..."

And that's just off the top of my head. Terrible linking narration, despite having Tom to do it...

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved the 1993 cassette release of Power. I bought them in England in 1994 (20 years ago last month) and practically wore them out listening to them. Then again they were my first exposure to those missing stories so I didn't know anything else.

I've since replaced them with digital copies of all the CD releases (except Macra Terror cos I missed it). I managed to track down a digital copy of Tom's version; while I still have fond memories listening to it, Anneke's version is much clearer and explains so much more (like exactly what those high pitch noises were when they're trying to escape the cell in ep5, initially I thought they were just damages on the tape!).

3. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Posted by TIEA on FB today:

As well as a tweet...

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, they admit to Confidential Commercial information ;) :guffaw:

5. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It seems the tweet is part of a suggestion that the films Ian "found" in Taiwan... don't exist. There has been a twitter exchange between Levine and Paul V about this, with Morris poking from the sidelines.

It's not very edifying from any of them :(

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That message from Morris is very much a non-denial. Whether or not he has any more, he is partially responsible for letting this continue.

A simple, we don't have any more missing episodes of Doctor Who would suffice. I'd say "thank you very much" and let it go at that.

Now they're all looking like nut jobs to be honest.

Mr Awe

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Now, that's hardly fair. As the message makes clear, recovering Doctor Who episodes is a small sidebar of the organization's work. So they can't devote their exclusive attention to it, and it's irrational to expect them to.

And confidentiality agreements exist for a reason. It's completely backward to say that someone is in the wrong for choosing not to betray a trust or violate the terms of a contract. These aren't arbitrary choices. There is more to life than the instant gratification of a TV show's fanbase.

8. Mr Awe

^ It being a small side bar doesn't preclude them from saying they don't have more if they don't. That hardly requires their "exclusive attention." Instead, they waste their time making a non-informative announcement.

No, what I say is quite fair.

And, what confidentiality agreement are you refering to? Certainly if Morris' company found some missing DW episode, Morris as CEO could say so.

Mr Awe

9. Christopher

But if they do have more and have confidentiality agreements that prevent them from saying so, then they would be betraying a trust if they did say so. In business, there are all sorts of reasons for things to be kept secret until the time is right. For instance, when I sell a book, I'm not able to announce it until the contracts are signed and approved and the publisher is ready to go ahead with the announcement. That's not some attempt to screw over the fans, it's just a part of how professionals do things.

And it was the press release in post #1283 that referenced "information which... is commercially confidential." And it's not just about Morris's company, because that's not the only professional entity involved here. TIEA may find the episodes, but they're owned and copyrighted by the BBC, and they're held by other parties that may need to be negotiated with in some way in order to secure their release. I don't know specifically what might be delaying any announcement, but it is entirely possible that there are legitimate business or legal reasons that require such a delay. In any case, it's not exclusively TIEA's decision, so it's ignorant to blame them or accuse them of acting in poor faith.

10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And none of this is yes/no stuff. How do you issue a statement like "Maybe. But even getting the chance to check takes careful persuasion of people who'd prefer it if we just stopped bothering them and will ignore us if we talk about this."?
    The only yes comes when the episodes are back and salvaged. The only no when there are no more leads to check.

11. Christopher

^Right. Sometimes "We're not certain yet" is the most honest answer it is possible to give. A premature yes or no would be irresponsible.

12. diankra

And you're not certain till the entire film has been watched and copied. Even if the opening matches the labels it could be incomplete or even a spliced hoax. I was sent a vhs of Web of Feear 2 back in 1985...

The joke held till the end of the recap when the screen flashed to April Fool!

13. Sindatur

Wow, and I thought Daleks were Evil :klingon:

14. Mr Awe

But surely there is a simple yes or no to the question of, does Morris' company currently have any more in its possession?

If they said, sorry but we don't have any more. The rational amongst us would say something along the lines of, "that's too bad but thanks for letting us know." At least our hopes wouldn't be up.

And, I certainly wouldn't want them to/not expect them to divulge where/who found them, etc. Nothing confidential.

Mr Awe

15. Christopher

As we've been trying to explain to you, it's often not that simple. There are a lot of variables involved. They may not be free to reveal what they have due to confidentiality agreements with other people. Or they may not be entirely sure what they have, or may not have gotten around to confirming what they might have, because -- again -- lost Doctor Who episodes are a very small part of the materials they're working with. They have other priorities, other recovered films to evaluate and restore, and there are only so many hours in the work week. They can't just abandon all their other responsibilities to indulge the impatience of a bunch of Doctor Who fans.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It doesn't seem to occur to people like vocal fandom that it's perfectly possible to not know for sure: Let's say there's film can with "Evil Of The Daleks Episode 7" on the label. Inside, the film is half turned to resin, and will take weeks, if not months, to clean up enough to even check what it is. Let's say you just go "fuck it this'll please the Who fans," and announce you found this episode. Then six months later you've got enough restored to run the first couple of minutes through a projector, and it turns out to be a mislabeled episode of Doctor Finlay...

And this kind of thing happens all the time- stuff does get mislabeled, there have been premature recovery announcements before, which turned out to be DW-labeled film cans with other crap in them...

17. Sindatur

Which, IMHO, is an excellent reason to keep quiet until it's ready, even without considering all the Confidentiality and other reasons. I would much rather be kept in the dark, until it's ready, then to be told officially something has been found, and then have my balloon deflated when it turns out to be a false alarm or unrecoverable

18. Mr Awe

I would've believed that years ago but surely there's been time to evaluate what they do have. I understand that they may not have had time to restore everything yet but that's a separate matter.

If you believe that line of theirs, I've got this land in FL for you!

Mr Awe

19. diankra

You're assuming that they found uit all at once: it seems from what Morris has been saying about Morecambe and Wise that they found one to-far-gone copy a while back, and are now confident of recovering another one.
    Which, of course, does mean that he's commenting when pretty sure, at least about other shows. Quite possibly he's reluctant to say anything about Who simply because any announcement will be an instant twitter storm, whereas a comment about M&W gets a lot of quiet fingers-crosseds.

20. Christopher

There's that "surely" again. It's easy to be "sure" about things you don't understand, because you aren't aware of all the variables and complications and are basing your conclusions on simplified assumptions arising from ignorance. Outsiders always assume that a job is a hell of a lot simpler than it actually is, so they're quick to be armchair quarterbacks and assume they understand the job better than the people who actually have to do the job.

The ignorant always speak from certainty. The wise always allow for doubt.