TP: Seize the Fire by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Nov 21, 2010.

?

Rate Seize The Fire.

1. Outstanding

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Above Average

25 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Average

33 vote(s)
    28.4%
  4. Below Average

33 vote(s)
    28.4%
  5. Poor

19 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Martin books are tough to get through. I still have the conclusion to the Romulan War sitting in my to read pile along with Fallen Gods. At this point I'm thinking I'll never read them because other books by better authors keep pushing hem to the bottom of the pile. I kind of regret buying them now. Maybe some day i'll work up the desire to read them after I shave some more novels off my to read pile.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Titan has never been a single-author or single-team series the way the post-finale Star Trek: Enterprise novels were. They had two novels in a row by the same guy, but TTN is not "Martin's series" the way ENT became his after he and Andy Mangels split ways.

3. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ Perhaps not, but it certainly seemed as if Martin was setting up things in Fallen Gods that he intends to follow up on in future novels, such as the Andorian situation. Obviously that's no guarantee he will get to write those novels, but it seems as if he's hoping/guessing he will, or else he wouldn't have left such clear hooks to be picked up.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. The first part of the DS9 Relaunch (Avatar - Soul Key) was very arc heavy and it was written by multiple authors.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, it's entirely possible that the series editor wanted those arcs set up, not Martin. Who knows? But TTN is not a one-author series.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It hasn't been to date, but if the current editorial regime wanted it to be, there's no reason it couldn't become one -- just as there's no reason that, say, Voyager couldn't become a multi-author series if the editor wanted. Indeed, if Marco had stayed at Pocket, VGR would've become multi-author after Kirsten's duology; he'd indicated to me that he was thinking about recruiting me to do the third book. But once he was laid off, plans changed, and the subsequent editors chose to stick with Kirsten. (Which turned out to be the right choice, since otherwise we would've been cheated out of Children of the Storm.)

So it's not like there's some rule requiring certain series to be single-author and others to be multi-author. I have no idea what the future plans for Titan are, but it's all up to editorial discretion.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished this last night, and I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading Fallen Gods soon.:)

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

This week I reread Seize the Fire and enjoyed tremendously, just as last time.

The Gorn receive well-reserved expansion, and a good one at that. Another plus was the continuity with The Gorn Crisis, though I haven't read that yet.

TTN is still my favourite series because the characters are memorable and because I love the species diversity. Not until I began reading this series did I notice how infested Starfleet was with boring Humans.

I can't escape to notice that TTN's modus operandi is to encounter a (seemingly) pre-warp culture in peril.

Having read STF again, and being in great anticipation of The Poisoned Chalice, I might go back and reread all of the TTN novels. Hopefully the series continues after TPC.