Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Can you even see the truck in the movie, George? For how many frames does it show up, George?

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Two pix from yesterday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^This. Is. AMAZING.​

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally saw the HD version today on SyFy. Ick. I definitely see what you mean.

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw TWOK about two years ago in Manhattan in a midnight showing at a revival house. A true 35mm print, scratches and all. The audience of Trekkies actually cheered when the battered print started running. As far as color and brightness, it backs up the print used for the earlier video releases. Yes, Regula I was brown, not blue. I specifically looked for it. I was not imaging it. This was no cheap 16mm stock, there was no discoloration. The Blu-Ray has been altered as posted here.

I know this answers a post from a few months ago, but meh, there ya go. Okey doke? Thanks.

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Film is super sharp, no matter how old it is. The resolution of TWOK in 1982 was greater than modern HDTV is capable of showing. Feature films before the 2000s weren't shown on giant movie screens at 480i.

I do agree the blue tint is crap, though.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What resolution do modern HD cameras shoot at? Do they shoot at a comparable resolution to film, or do they limit themselves to the maximum resolution of what they can be screened at? :confused:

7. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the modern cameras top out at around 6k - far higher resolution than will ever be needed for typical home viewing. 4K TVs are a staggeringly unnecessary introduction for anything less than huge screens.

A lot of earlier digital films were shot at 2k - so with Blu Ray you are already seeing them the best they will ever look.

For older films, like TWOK, in theory you have unlimited resolution on film, in reality however, Blu Ray is as good as a lot of films will ever look. There is unlikely to be a 4K mainstream physical format, but I guess we might see some old films re-scanned at 4k for streaming in a few years time.

8. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Unlimited Resolution-
    If scanning from film stock would not the grain in the film become a factor?

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I think that's one issue yes.

The current conventional wisdom is that somewhere between a 4k and an 8k scan (depending on the film stock, etc.) is sufficient to capture the information.

10. USS KG5

I think a lot of Blu Rays on the market are 2k scans originally done for DVD masters, and there is an air of "that'll do" about them.

Other old films (Jaws, Dr No) have been restored to the extent they sometimes look like they were shot yesterday.

Sadly, we will never get the above treatment for the old Trek movies, though if Blu 4K does come along we might get the new ones.

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

The original Total Recall is a perfect example of this, looks like a new film shot using late 80's/early 90's props & effects. It's kinda weird but doesn't stop me enjoying the film still

"Relax- you'll live longer"

12. USS KG5

It is amazing the quality possible from 35mm film.