They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The scenario was that Batman and Superman stand on a battle field at the END of their film and Batman goes "Here a 4 new heroes" and then it continues in the new film. So there's no "gather the team" storyline in that one. Only a rock ballad.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's even a case of 'Marvel did it this way so they must do it a different way.' I think it's simply a case of do it whatever way works best for them and the movie. That could be the Marvel approach, could be a different approach.

Either way, looking over their shoulder at Marvel, whether to imitate or to make a point of acting differently, seems to be the wrong way to go.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sure there is. In the JL movie you intro with the same scene, then intercut flashback scenes of Batman recruiting the other 4 heroes while they finish that battle. Then continue with the movie. It practically writes itself.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You sorta did... implying that she couldn't be intimidating, like Bates can.

I'm not saying that GL failed because of Bassett, I'm saying Bassett didn't have much to work with to shine as Waller.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a good point.

Why do you even need the flashbacks? As has been mentioned above, there's a long history of "gather the team" movies, and there are plenty of ways of introducing team members that don't require flashbacks to their origins or recruitment.

One way to do it might be the X-Men approach, used not only in the first movie but in various animated adaptations as well, not to mention numerous other team stories such as Stargate Universe or the movie 9 (which I just saw so it's fresh in my mind): Begin with one character being recruited to join a pre-existing team or group, and use that character as the audience surrogate, letting the viewers meet the characters and learn about the backstory along with the surrogate. In this case, maybe make Batman the viewpoint character as Superman tries to convince him to join the extant Justice League. Or maybe have Princess Diana come into the outside world, establish herself as a hero, and then get recruited into the League. Or focus on a young hero who's just gotten powers and begun fighting crime -- say, Flash or Cyborg -- and follow them through their induction into the League.

6. sojourner

Well, I didn't say flashbacks were the only way to do it. Merely A way.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If (ok, when) they do a Justice League movie, I would rather it be a team building movie (ala the examples Christopher has mentioned)... something different than Marvel's approach would feel refreshing... and then they can go more in depth in the inevitable spin offs.

8. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

A team building movie, like the 2009 Trek? Yeah, you pretty much don't need a separate origin movie for each iconic character.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Flashbacks may be more effective for some characters than others. The Flash, for example, has a much simpler origin than, say, Wonder Woman. All you need to do is show Barry working in a police forensics lab, depict an accident involving electricity and chemicals, watch him begin to discover his abilities, and then flash forward (ahem) to Barry in the costume.

Anyone who got their powers through a singular event can be taken care of this way. That lets the writers reserve more story time for characters whose backstory is actually part of their identity and needs to be told — Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Batman (if it's still deemed necessary)....

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The recent new 52 Justice League origin or variations of the first origin story work well without going into a lot of back story.

Please don't get into a critique of the actual plotting, but a story like the battle with Darkseid where characters are introduced gradually would serve fine for a movie. Alternatively, as someone mentioned earlier, one character could serve as the point of view for the audience. Personally, if the writers were to go that route, it should be someone with whom the audience is less familiar such as Cyborg, J'onn J'onzz, or even Hawkman/woman.

Most characters don't need their origins told. The audience has a passing familiarity with the big three especially. The rest of the League has fairly straightforward powers that the viewer can figure out fairly easily.

Many of the early JL stories would introduce the characters working on their own before getting together with the team.

11. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Yes, it is. And it's a huge risk. I think it's a mistake, and I will be very surprised if it works out. Maybe if you brought in someone REALLY good with DC's characters, like Bruce Timm, it could be pulled off.

Barring someone like that in charge, I have NO confidence in this project. There's just too much working against it.

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

It had the virtue at the time of being the first really serious attempt at the franchise. They got lucky on the casting of most of the characters (Storm being a prominent exception).

Even at the time though, I remember a lot of "is that it?" type criticism. The FX tech even that recently wasn't up to really showcasing their powers properly, and Singer crafted a film that deliberatly avoided the need for large, "big" scenes becacause of it.

Contrast that with First Class, which, even with all the continuity issues, was the big-scale "super" version of the X-Men that many people were expecting the first one to be.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Actually, SG:U is exactly what I fear they'll wind up with: a bunch of unproven actors playing characters who we don't know how they will turn out yet because they are for all intents and purposes "new" (outside of Supes and Bats).

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I'd rather see a continuation of Batman with Gordon-Levitt. They already have their billion-dollar franchise with Nolan's series. They don't need to push for a Justice League movie hoping to copy what the Marvel movies did.

17. sojourner

Considering Man of Steel is most likely done filming, I call bullshit on the last part of that article. I seriously doubt Batman will be making an appearance in the film in any way.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not ready to buy into this.
    It sounds like fanboy hopes typing away at the keyboard. As if by simply placing the idea into the consciousness of the 'net it will get to where it needs to be and become reality.
    Some would say this has happened before of course but I'm not buying this at it's current rumor mill state.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

They'll do something because as it stands 'The Man of Steel' is the only DC movie they'll have to lead into this. Every Marvel movie was doing this from the beginning. I think they've got to do something similar to get attention to the film.

Avengers had scenes added at the last minute for the after credits so I don't see why they can't something quickly like that with MOS.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the better question is do we really want the first time Superman and Batman appear on screen to NOT be Clark and Bruce? I'll have trouble accepting him even as Batman honestly if it's JLG. Firstly he's not Bruce and looks 19. Sure the suit will beef him up ala Keaton but he's still just a poor substitute for the real thing. It seems a poor attempt to make the Nolan saga part of something more than it was designed to be.