MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ben Sheets through another 6 scoreless innings today. I'm convinced he was equipped with a bionic arm after his surgery.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Signing Hamels to a mega deal would be a complete disaster for a team that's at the dead-ass end of its contention cycle. It would severely hamper their ability to reload, and they wouldn't be able to move it.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Then again, other big teams manage to stay competitive without having to go through years of mediocrity to do so. Hamels is still relatively young and healthy and pitching better than he's pitched before. Yes, their salary is tied up in a couple big pitchers, but I do think Hamels is important to keep. When they retool, it still helps to have veteran players who are talented and can contribute.

5. Timby

Yeah, but the teams that enjoy long-term, sustained success, like the Yankees, are still primarily doing it through in-house development, while Rube is trying to bring everything in from the outside, Dallas Cowboys-style. Meanwhile, the farm has been completely and utterly decimated through trades.

The Phillies are already at $172 million this year, so I have no doubt that they're willing to do a high payroll, but if you're bringing Hamels and Pence back, you're already looking at $150 million worth of commitments for 2013, and that's before they replace Victorino or Blanton, and with an aging non-playoff core a year older. Even if ownership approves Rube going to ~$220 million like the Yankees (and with the expanded luxury tax, that's not really long-term sustainable), it's hard to see how they improve enough to contend again -- and then the year after, they have to deal with Halladay and Pence hitting free agency ... it just doesn't get better from here on out.

If Rube had half a brain, he'd be having some severe buyer's remorse on Pence; it was a horrible trade the day it was made and it's gotten substantially worse since then. The real franchise-crippling deal is the Howard extension, but the Pence trade isn't far behind, if for no other reason than the guys used to go get him could have formed the basis of a move for an elite controlled player, instead of a good / not great, expensive dude.

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm have a 'look at the flaming train wreck' sort of interest in watching how the Johan Santana injury goes.

The no hitter was fun, but also a big PR move by the team since they famously never had one before. You don't let a guy who missed last year after major shoulder surgery throw 478 pitches in one game.

You notice how he started to fall apart after that. He stunk it up in the meantime. His pitching has led to more runs than a batch of ex-lax brownies. I don't buy the ankle thing. And if it is the ankle, why not put him on the DL right after that?

This team mismanages injuries like no other. A guy is supposed to miss 2-3 with an itchy nose, then goes on the 15 day DL a week later. Then during a minor league rehab stint, suffers 'setbacks.' And by August, he needs open heart surgery and is doubtful untiil 2053.

7. Timby

It's honestly a toss-up as to whether the Mets' or Cardinals' medical staff is more grossly incompetent. The Cardinals could see a guy with an ax in his skull and tell him to put a Band-Aid on it.

In other news, just as the market was beginning to heat up on him, Matt Garza left his start in the third inning last night with triceps cramps, and the Cubs aren't ruling out putting him on the DL. [​IMG]

8. Starbreaker

Braves have acquired Ryan Dempster. The other half of the deal isn't finalized yet, but looks like pitcher Randall Delgado is the centerpiece.

9. Timby

Not the best pitcher the Cubs could have gotten (Frank Wren is a fucking moron, so I was hoping Theo and Hoyer could spring Teheran), but not a bad return for a 35-year-old rental. I'm also hearing that the holdup is that the Braves need to make some moves to balance money, so there may be some more pieces changing hands (or cash).

10. Starbreaker

It's probably cash. There's already talk on the Braves end about signing an extension due to Dempster's familiarity with Frediot. Like that's ever going to happen.

Dodgers are closing in on Matt Garza. They need to save some good trades for the deadline!

11. Timby

Weird. They cooled off on Dempster because the Cubs' asking price was too high -- I would kill to be a fly on the wall in the Cubs front office right now if the Dodgers are in on Garza.

Edit: holy smokes, word is that it's Garza for Zach Lee AND additional players. If true, Hoyer and Theo are goddamn wizards.

12. Starbreaker

Now Ryan Dempster is saying that there is no trade and he doesn't know where the info is coming from. This is getting weird.

13. Timby

He's probably saying there's no trade because the Cubs won't approach him about a 10-5 waiver until the whole thing is locked down. (Dempster has told the team he'll waive his rights, but the waiver has to be formally in writing and with regard to the specific trade at hand.)

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to see Demp go, but at least we got something for him. Who knows, maybe we'll resign him in the off season! :p

Know anything about this Randall Delgado? Probably isn't a world breaker since Dempster is basically a rental. Either way, hope Demp gets the Braves to the post season.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Where are these stories? SI pulled the one they had on Dempster-to-Atlanta. ESPN still has their story on a potential deal.

Dempster for one so-so pitcher seems like a bad deal for us.

I can't find anything about Garza.

16. Starbreaker

Ichiro traded to the Yankees for two prospects. The Yankees are in Seattle right now. Ichiro had to approve this trade, so he's about to get the shit booed out of him.
    Link

17. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll miss Ichiro but this sort of trade was the best possible ending to his career. He is not the player he once was, and the Mariners would have been foolish to resign him. Everyone wins here - Ichiro gets a chance to win a World Series, the Yankees get a talented utility player, and the Mariners get some future prospects.

I wish I lived closer to Seattle; It would be fun to see tonight's game.

18. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^This.

Ichiro is nearing the end of the line, the M's suck and his contract weighs them down going forward. The Yanks need an outfielder with Gardner done for the year. Ichiro gets a chance at a ring, Mariners get some prospects. It works for everyone.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I agree with everyone else, although I certainly expected Ichiro to retire as a Mariner. He's just too well-associated with them.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I detected very few boos when Ichiro came to bat. The M's crowd gave him a rousing ovation.