Why, oh why did the writers have Jadzia Dax and Worf marry?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by CaptainCag, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Yes, I remember that once Sisko throws that in his face when he says: "Another stunt like that and your wife won't have to complain about the conditions here anymore..."

Still, IMO, the chemistry between them worked well, Keiko kept O'Brien out of trouble and she could be reasonable about his friendship with Julian, she even encouraged it sometimes.

Plus remember what O'Brien says toward the end of the series: "...she's a hell of a woman!"
    That says it all.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Yeah, it's handy for the husband to have a friend to play darts with and do holodeck programs with, when you want to spend the next several months on Bajor studying plants... Julian made a good babysitter, and I don't mean for the kids.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

For me her actual death always felt like an afterthought. I know they were doing a skin of evil deal where someone dies stupidly from being in the wrong place at the wrong time but especially after Change of Heart this felt like a misstep.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could it be that the writers were angry at Terry for deciding to leave so they decided to live vicariously through Dukat?

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'll never understand how Keiko got this reputation for complaining all the time.

She sacrificed her career to follow her husband to a miserable assignment, then she stood up for the children's right to receive an uncensored education and was willing to stick at the miserable assignment even when she had absolutely nothing to do there. She never once got in the way of Miles' friendship with Julian, and after she got back from Bajor when she saw he was happier when he got to hang out with him, she manipulated them into having playtime.

There's only one episode where she actually acts like people say she always acts. I don't remember it very well because it's a skip episode for me now, the one where they got in the big fight.

I think people just see Keiko that way because they expect all scifi love interests to be male entitlement fantasies.

I agree Jadzia should have died in Change of Heart.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ same here. :bolian:

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

I think the "give me more money or I'll leave" deal may very well have led to a little pissiness in her death.

But I actually don't care, I always liked Ezri MUCH better, I adore Ezri. I was happy with everything that happened next. I just think it would have been Star Trek's most tragic death and something always remembered if it had happened in Change of Heart.

8. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

But that means that we would've seen less of her and I for one like Jadzia.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I agree. I adore Keiko, and thought she was a great secondary character, and I think the chemistry between herself and Miles worked just fine. It was fun to watch them try to work two cultures into their everyday lives, on a station filled with thousands of different cultures and belief systems.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefered when they were single and flirting, as it just flummoxed him which was always fun to see. Them as a couple and then married never bothered me though, they did have some good banter scenes, though the OTT wedding wasn't my cup of tea.

Personally, I'd have had Jadzia and Bashir to get together.

I'm going to anger some fans here, but, IMHO, this was the best bromance of all Trek!

I loved Keiko, she further helped add to O'Brien's "everyman" persona, keeping him grounded as he went off and solved technical problems, fought wars, and so forth, whilst still being a character of her own.

I agree, it would've been a better episode for Jadzia to have died, especially if Worf had done just as he did, but got back to her to find her dead. So the mission is a failure and he loses his wife on the same day.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I watched "Tears of the Prophets" last night, and the scene where Jadzia was killed felt just as sad as the first time I had watched it. Dax, so full of hope for a baby, and just struck down; her death so pointless. :(