Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS version]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

Re: Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS vers

actually the computer was capable of sounding like the tng and did so with a personality in one episode.

i wonder if they originally intended for the computer to sound more like the familar tos but decided to let majel's voice sound more recognizable as a tribute.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I guess that's why it was subtitled "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" at one point. :lol:

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

good point

4. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

my guess is simply that majel was near death when she recorded this and is such a mainstay of the franchise that they just let her do what she wanted with the voice and didn't want to correct her on something she has been doing for decades out of respect and she just did it the way she is used to doing it.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The damned elevator doors don't sound a thing like TOS - why would they try to simulate the decades-out-of-date "mechanical" sound of the voice? No computer or application talks that way except maybe Microsoft Reader. :lol:

6. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

but dennis the odd part is they kept a lot of the other sounds.
    though the door sounds just odd.
    at first i thought they had beamed into the turbo lift until i saw the guards were already with them.

7. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

yeah, like they seem to have kept those random whistles and beeps on the bridge from TOS.

8. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's the point.

It's very possible to visualise spaceships flying through space realistically.

How exactly can a warp effect look anything other than CGI, which is what your original point was. The very concept of it is unrealistic, and could only be created using CGI.

I also think that your comments in this topic are so incredibly non-descript and non-specific that anyone who has been following this film's development and who has seen the trailers could type out the same posts as you. Obviously this is a non-spoiler thread and anyway you can write whatever you want, but you'll forgive me if I question the value of some of your earlier posts. Like saying that the bridge is very white, how you think the Enterprise's nacelles should be made a bit smaller and how the warp effect looks very CGI. Thanks for all that.

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

"That's certainly true... dear." ;)

10. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

The door effect sounds like the original run thru some modifications. What I'm wondering about is that Extra sound tagged onto the end of it. The door is open, why is there a second sound? Are they passing thru some kind of field?

11. porthos4captain

porthos4captain Commodore Commodore

My point was not that a warp effect can only look CGI. Considering that a significant portion of Star Trek's (TOS and TNG and a number of the films) warp effects were created prior to CGI your statement saying that it can only be created using CGI doesn't ring true. I find the more traditional "streaking stars" approach to look less CGI and more "real", even if it is less visually exciting.

Just as having a 400m starship on screen is unrealistic there are ways to make it seem real. I see no reason why a warp effect should be any different. There are ways to present a potentially unrealistic concept in a realistic fashion. That's the point of visual and special effects in any film. The best ones are the effects that don't make you think you're looking at one. The opening scene of the new film is a perfect example. I believe the warp effect to be a poor one.

Pardon me for trying to ensure other people aren't inadvertently spoiled when coming in to a non-spoiler thread. If people want more than general impressions then they can visit the spoiler thread which will suit perfectly. I hardly think it's appropriate for you to be determining what statements I can make in here. If people have specific non-spoiler questions I have answered them. In other cases I've given a general overview of a particular aspect of the film which is exactly what you should find in a non-spoiler thread.

You mention that someone following the development and watching the trailers would enable them to make the same comments as mine. Frankly, that's completely untrue as they may be able to INFER that's what the movie is like. I'm able to CONFIRM. I've talked about a number of elements which simply haven't been covered in any material that's non-spoilerish.

As you say, I can write whatever I want however I feel my posts have value. This entire forum has questioned whether the bridge is too white. Hell, there have been threads on it. A number of people have hoped that the filming process including lighting and the director of photography might make it seem a little less "Apple store"-like. I think it's entirely appropriate for me to state that in this case the I feel filming process doesn't give it a different look. One only has to look at films like The Matrix to see the massive effect digital grading can have to the look of a film.

The same goes for the Enterprise. People have talked about the design and whether different angles change the perspective of the ships design. Again, there are some angles that show the design in a flattering light, but being one of a handful of people to have seen the film at this point in time I think it's entirely relevant for me to discuss how the ship design comes across in the film as a whole.

If people are asking questions then I'll answer. I don't have to be here doing this, but people may have concerns or reasons to get excited about the film and why should I be criticised for helping to build buzz? Like I said, the film is 99% great.

12. Neftoon

Neftoon Lieutenant Red Shirt

As someone else who has seen the movie, i liked the new enterprise, it suited the feel of the movie, i personally found the whiteness of the enterprise in star trek 5 more distracting. Obviously this will be up to the individual, and hopefully people can get past it to enjoy the movie.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I don't know what message board you think you're on. :p

We have people who can't get past starship registry numbers that start with zero. One poster said if Gary Mitchell isn't in the movie, that will ruin the whole thing.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which sounds have they kept when the sounds would be outdated? I detect a familiar "ping" in some of the bridge background noise but that's about it.

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

some of the sensor sounds seemed to be there in the background.
    of couse want know till hear it on a threatre sound system.
    drat..

16. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

source: scifiwire

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

well, that's nice.

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, good for the troops! :bolian:

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

okay, I wanna know who the heck is clicking on that spoiler thread? is it the guests? it's already frickin' 670 clicks!!

EDIT: 670 REPLIES. it's got over 28,000 clicks!! jesus.

20. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Not me. :(