Fox renews Fringe!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fringe renewed.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

*Does a happy dance* I'm a big Fringe fan so this makes me very happy.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Beat me to it (not all that hard to do)!

My inner geek is psyched! :D

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

[​IMG]
    SQUEE!

Thank GOD! Now maybe we get back to future-verse and figure out what the HELL is going on! :lol:

5. Temis the Vorta

The best thing about this news?

Alcatraz is definitely cancelled! :rommie:

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'll miss her curves... :(

7. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Surprise but happy.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Expected, even though entirely inexplicable by every alleged business principle. Everyone remember this the next time somebody says it's all about the ratings.

Any rational theories as to why this ratings bomb was renewed?

Haven't most people noticed the show is yet another example of how the open-ended serial form fails?

Dare I suggest that's why the show has lost enough audience to suggest that it is being generous to call it a cult favorite, since cult does imply enough people to make a congregation? The show's ratings have dropped enough that the Fringe cult is rather less popular than Scientology, relatively speaking. It's more in the Aetherian Society range.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's like a reverse Firefly, maybe Fox doesn't hate sci-fi after all.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The little show that could...;)

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Excellent news! I'm glad that the 11th's finale isn't the end of it all.

:bolian:

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Great news. They get to craft an ending. Now, can I get season 4 on Black Friday for $12 or will I have to wait till next year. I haven't paid more than $15 for any season to date.

So Alcatraz didn't make it nor did Terra Nova.

Fringe was kinda the new Chuck there for a bit.

13. Temis the Vorta

It's never only about the ratings. There are lots of factors that go into the renewal decision, many of which we never hear about. How much confidence the networks have in their new pilots each year plays a big role in cancellation plans. We don't see those new pilots until months after the decision has already been made.

And even then, who knows whether we agree with it? Fox wasn't going to pick up Alcatraz until JJ Abrams convinced them that he had a great storyline to unfold. He must be an incredible salesman, because I watched the whole season and didn't see anything approaching a great storyline. He should have sold Fox the Golden Gate Bridge while he was at it.

Take the weirdly common notion that foreign ratings "don't count." I'm sure they do, in cases where networks are profiting from those ratings. Why would any business ignore any revenue source? But has anyone seen a good listing of foreign ratings, especially one that comprehensively includes all global markets? I sure can't find one. So it's impossible to guess how much they count.

In this case, Warners and Bad Robot lowered the license fee, and that did the trick. I'm sure the fact that Fringe is warming the Friday night deathslot was a factor. What is Fox going to put in the deathslot instead? And their pilots pickups have been light this year, considering how many shows they've cancelled or are bound to cancel.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Sweet!

:techman:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know a lot of the articles I was reading were saying that a fifth season would make it easier to sell into syndication, so that probably had something to do with the renewal.

16. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    No doubt a factor. The 13 episodes should put it at about 102 or so episodes? Just over the magical century mark of syndication.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It will end on exactly 100 episodes.

19. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Fringe but haven't been that happy about this season. I think a lot of that was due to my thinking that they were going to be cancelled and weren't moving toward a satisfying conclusion. Hopefully this end date will focus them, I know it'll make me worry less about the remaining episodes this season.

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he did sell them the GGB but delivered that crappy bridge in Vancouver instead.

I'm sure the lower fee and the Friday timeslot has everything to do with the renewal. There's no way this show survives in any other timeslot.

Glad they were able to get enough episodes to produce a good series finale. Let's hope they use them well.