Aurora Class Slipstream Prototype

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BorgMan, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This ship is an oldie; I stumbled upon her while searching for another design (there's like 100's of drawings scattered around two drawers), but when my eye fell upon her I just had the urge to do something with it. I could use some ideas in how to model the deflector housing, though. My vision for this prototype is that it's made from a Starfleet perspective, not Arturis' race: the energy for the slipstreamtunnel is channeled through four emitters on the nacelles, because afterall, Starfleet uses nacelles for their propulsion, not deflectors. That results in a fairly normal deflector, perhaps with a fallback system so that the deflector can aid in the stabilisation of the slipstreamtunnel, but it will most definitely not be the main source.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one big organic shape mess, so any help is appreciated :)

2. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Nice so far, lets see some sketchupping!

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice sketch and 3D art so far :)

4. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice.

I've been working on something (all in my head at the moment) that would be a slipstream type of starship. My idea is similar to the general shape you've got going on here.

Anxious to see how yours turns out.

5. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

The original sketch? Heh, I can't honestly say I care for it much. Posted alone, I'd find something nice to say, but it looks like just another overworked fanboy pic.

[​IMG]

But, the 3-D model you've started, oh my! Without all that cluttering caused by panel lines, that primary hull just pops! It is wonderful! I like bold shapes and this one's got 'em. Keep the surface as clean and simple and elegant as possible, with just the faintest lines suggesting hull plates and panels.

I really don't have the words to say what I like about objects, so I just sketched some comments on the pic.
    [​IMG]

6. BorgMan

Hmm, you almost made me cry Efirah ;) Actually you're right, it's got some traces of fanboyism but I'm planning on making this a serious project. I agree with your comments on the hull geometry, and the panelling will be much more subtle than on the sketch. I know what I'm doing (I think) ;)

7. BorgMan

[deleted: double post]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  8. Klondike307

Klondike307 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really like it, Its looks like voyager mixed with ENT-E but more advanced

9. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Keep the sleek shape (don't botch it up with too much greebles, bevels and/or indentations) and you're set!

10. BorgMan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There we go: that secondary hull isn't exactly the way I want it, but to get it in such way I need a SketchUp plugin that's still in development. For now I like it, though :)

11. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I envy and loath you for having the skill to draw things that well.

Damn you. :p

That said, I'd smooth out where the lower-hull connects to the saucer. It's the only critique re: slipstream I can offer.

12. BorgMan

Here's a render for the deflector area

[​IMG]

I'm kind of wondering if this is the best way to go, but I really want to stay away from a Dauntless deflector as hard as possible. Suggestions, anyone?

13. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe some sort of bulbous protruding deflector, to signify it's importance? Most deflectors are indented... so it'd be different.

14. BorgMan

Here's two shots from the cargo bay situated behind the shuttlebay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

Nice :) The teardrop shape will certainly do well in slipstream!

I like how you refreshed the older container setup of the tmp era. Make sure you design a small pivot system on the pulling mechanism of the workbee, so in case of a sleepy cargoloader, the bee's pilot can rotate the container to fit the free hole. (als in het spel: Hamertje tik...) :P

16. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I have long thought that experimental, Dauntless-like future-trek hyperships should take a more organic look to their navi-deflector, sensor and phaser arrays. I favor something that looks partially like an organic, crack-like orifice, and part like an symmetrical network of viens on the hull's surface. I could see some of the texture coming from Gomtuu of TNG's "Tin Man", and maybe some of the glowing vieny texture of the infected Starship Victory expeditionary team (TNG's "Identity Crisis").

It could be that as the Federation grew in the TNG era, Starfleet acquired new technologies and shipbuilding methods from a growing pool of member-species, allies and trading partners. It could also be that the Federation learned how to reverse-engineer recovered bits of Borg crash-wreckage in the Argolis Cluster. As a result, future-trek ships would begin to take on a strange quasi-organic appearance.

17. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

this works but there needs a wave receiving and transmitting scope like the dish on the average trek ship.., why you might not want to know this but back when renders took forever I had something very close to this modeled after voyager/Andromeda with a reflector wave station channeled port now lost in a hard drive amongst countless other ships/environments as we always have. but this ship was simmed between the galaxies deeply specked out there and the only reason it did not get "stuck" out there was the ability to ride a wave channel thru to the next galaxy

my ship mapped the whole of everything but then lost the currents of waves in negative realities and voids...

this ship if following the slidscapes and edgewise motions in time currents could finish the project but that is just a maybe you know.,

18. BorgMan

^ Not entirely sure what you mean, but this prototype uses a regular deflector (as all Trek ships have) combined with a backup slisptream generator. My Treknobabbler has concocted a way in which the secondary generators open (or "push away the fabric of space") the slipstream tunnel (actually a miniature, artificial wormhole) and where the nacelles keep the tunnel from collapsing. Still figuring out how everything would work, though :)

19. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

there is a need for momentum mostly at times to go in and out of the wormhole right?
    the idea is that the slipstream is already there so no need to generate the thing just a need to get through the wormhole without being eaten by the giant worms ., on the other end. navigation is key so you go where you want and such., the wormholes were really hypertransit channels what we called them., now since the holo/cyborg clash much of space/time is barren so really no reason to go there.

20. BorgMan

Here's the work in progress sketch of the Spine: the first generation slipstream core that the Aurora uses:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there are several pipes leading off of the main core. They do... something, my Treknobabbler came up with a use for them:

So... ;) The sketch is practically to scale to fit the space available in the rear of the ship, though the deck layout is nowhere near final; neither are the "spinal columns" along the core (that's actually my mistake; I thought I had centered the slipstream converger / Dilithium chamber properly. I was wrong >_<). Anyway, C&C would be highly appreciated :)