How fans are called?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MadaBidyoni, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Lurkers are the poor homeless people who live in "Down below"

Mage, hmmm...I watched Babylon 5 live from the first showing of the pilot and through each season (and back to back with DS9 during the years they overlapped in Syndication). Probably joined online BBS in mid-S3. I don't recall ever seeing Lurkers being used to identify a B5 fan.

Though, I suppose it makes sense, and I simply missed it, since the biggest online B5 resource out there was called "The Lurker's Guide" :alienblush:

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, of course not. But neither do I think the entire Alliance was in on that. Some super secret black ops organization, possibly unknown to (or even forbidden by) the Alliance proper. Kind of like their version of Section 31.

Of course, I am trying to put the best positive spin on this. It's what I do. :lol:

Plus, you gotta love those Alliance ships... :techman:

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's just a TV Show. You don't need to be a serial killer to enjoy Dexter or anti-hunting to enjoy Bugs Bunny. I enjoyed Avatar and I was hoping against all hope that those selfish bastard Elves and their paraplegic friend would be slowly burned alive in their own forest by the heroic Colonel Miles Quaritch.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I'm playing Captain Obvious here, but that's a really shitty fan name.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Perhaps in the sequel, Quaritch's friends will come looking for revenge. You might get your wish after all! :evil:

I thought the term 'lurker', in that sense, was simply referring to a casual viewer of B5 who might not be familiar with the show (i.e. who's "lurking" in the background of it) and needed a primer.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh right!

I suppose it's kind of like us the poor earth bound 20th century folk lurking below the glories of fictional space travel.

Ignoring all the wars of course. And the Crusade plague.

7. teacake

The point with the Alliance is they come in and tell people what to do, people who live on the outskirts of civilization and who resent the wealthy folk with all the guns from far away taking their money and interfering in their lives. Kind of like the Revolutionary war and the King of England.

The Alliance has power over folk but not a commensurate duty of care. This is why they terraform planets and dump settlers on them treating them like disposables. Burn off a few thousand settlers making that planet habitable and when it's getting pretty move in the rich people.

8. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember that one. Still miss that show. X- Files fans were called Philes. Saw that term once on an old book about the show Columbo, so it looks as if fans of that show were called that terms as well.

:lol:

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Show me one government that doesn't. ;)

10. teacake

It's about abuse of power, not power itself. I'm sure you can think of governments and government actions where this takes place in today's world.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

This may have nothing to do with sci-fi but I hate it when people call their Twitter followers "tweeps". That sounds like something a bird does when it's drunk. I prefer Keith Hernandez's use of "Tweetsters." :D

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

B5 fans should be called Fivers. BSG fans should be Galacticians.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Right, but the same tends to be true of Starfleet Command. Not always, of course, but way, way too often. One could get the wrong impression of Starfleet and the Federation from these episodes.

Or the right impression. :devil:

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As said earlier, the homeless and poor living on the station are called Lurkers. I can remember fans calling themselves Lurkers way back. Fivers is one I've hardly ever heard. But then again, who am I to argue if someone wants to cal himself a Fiver?? Personally, I like Lurker, but that's me.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

And of course the Operative always tells the truth...right? :lol:

17. teacake

MLB you defend a bad guy in a show you have by your own admission never watched.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I did watch a few episodes of the show.