STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I too saw it more than once in the theater, and about a trillion and a half times on cable. I loved it.

Then again, I also liked Megaforce. I was even stupider as a child than I am today.

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But in the 80s there was no internet to tell you how much the movie sucked. :lol:

3. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but we had FidoNet!

:sigh: I actually miss my 300 baud modem. :shrug:

4. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

:lol: Last month I setup my old Atari 8bit computer with it's 300baud modem. It still works. Now just need a land line.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Who cares? I'm not seeing umpty-um posters daily on a gordonbbs or rogersbbs site, but there are all these folk who are here (and most were here pre-Abrams, even during that period when everybody thought all ModernTrek was crashingNburning) because of the Trek that went before, talking about it years and decades after the fact.

Not just talking apples & oranges here ... talking the difference between fresh fruit and freeze-dried soylent.

6. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Only these links? You ought to take the word negative out of your google search.

Why not post a link to Variety's review, or the other 15 that read just like it?

7. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Note this: the guys who hated it were the fanboys who expected JJ not to do the Khan story and are really pissed off that Khan is in the film.

JJ needs to make money for Paramount or Star Trek dies.

Screw the fanboys.

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

truthfully i'm looking forward to seeing Benedict's version of Khan / John Harrison. only 14 days left.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Any explanation in the film why Khan is suddenly a pale Brit with a low voice?

10. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have the Flash Gordon DVD. I would love if they do a reboot of Buck Rogers.

11. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

A healthy diet of tribbles.

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Creative recasting. :lol:

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's been done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Was there an explanation of why Ricardo Montalban's skin was so pale in ST II?

Harrison is based in London. I've just been there. Rarely saw the sun!

Being based in London, you'll eventually pick up an English accent. Not that he emphasizes it in STiD.

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, but Indians who live in the UK all their lives don't all of a sudden turn as pale as Benedict Cumberbatch! Unless they develop vitiligo... now, there's a thought. Just sayin' :lol:

But, yeah, Meyers never gave a reason why Khan was all of a sudden pale and blonde in TWOK when he was neither in Space Seed.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't know "Variety's" review was out. Just read it. Wow. That's what I like to read.

Here's the link, by the way: http://variety.com/2013/film/review...ness-review-1200442461/#!1/startrek_benedict/

I posted the links to the negative reviews because they are so utterly and completely negative that they stand out as odd. I certainly don't agree with them at all, and as reviews of movies go, they have the "I don't like it because it's not the movie I wanted Abrams to make" stink to them.

Some of the best bits from those three reviews mashed together: The action sequences aren't really any good. Really? The 3D sets back the technology. Really? The movie disgraces the franchise. Really? It's mostly the retelling of "Nemesis". What? Cumberbatch is monotonic and wasted in the movie. Really? Kirk is too young to have a meaningful life-changing conflict with Khan, yet. Really?

To me, few things are more fun to read than really bad bad reviews.

17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The bad reviews do appear to be by people who are really pissed off that this Abrams trek is not the Star Trek they want to see. So they nitpick the movie to death and then proceed to tell us what they think a Star Trek movie should be. They need to get over it and accept that it is possible a new producer can come into the franchise and put their own spin on things and unfortunately for them it may not conform to their personal preference.

Maybe the next producer that comes in will make a trek movie they like?

James Bond movies were in this thread earlier. Those movies have seen similar changes as the actor changes and the producers change etc. the difference from Connery to Moore to Brosnan to Craig.... Not everyone will be happy with each iteration and everyone has a preference. You can't please everyone!

18. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was absolutely amazing. Loved every moment of it.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They didn't bother with dark makeup in TWOK because it wasn't important to anyone by then that Khan had supposedly been Indian.

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Oh. A credible example in a widely-appreciated film.

Might as well include Richard Pryor as the lead in SOME KIND OF HERO, too. That was casting against type of the kind making Joel Grey's asian in REMO WILLIAMS look politically correct.