David Slade's DAREDEVIL Reboot.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Apr 28, 2012.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

It's been announced for some time now that Fox is going to do a new Daredevil movie rebooting the franchise (if you can call it a franchise, there's only been the one movie, yet), and has hired director David Slade of "30 Days of Night" fame.

Now, they've hired a David James Kelly to rewrite (?) the script.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/dav...-slade/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm not sure, who that is, IMDb lists two writers by that name, both having only done short films. Or maybe it's the only other David James Kelly listed on IMDb, but not listed there as a writer?

Anyway, considering Matt Murdock's a devoted catholic lawyer who's got father issues, a small practice, ethical conflicts and a bumbling, overweight best friend, maybe they should've gone with David Edward Kelley, instead. Especially since he just recently tried to do a superhero show (and, let's be honest, we all know Daredevil's more up his alley than WW).

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish it was possible for someone to adapt the Bendis-Maleev run on that comic, with Kingpin going down and Daredevil's identity outed. Man I loved that.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the first one with Affleck . I never saw any reason why they couldn't just pick up from the end of that one, it's not like you even have to really acknowledge it, but they already had a universe set up.

In all honesty though, I'd love for Daredevil to revert to Disney so that he could show up in a future Avengers film, or at least so we know he exists in that "universe."

4. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not the only one. I liked the Affleck one, also. One of the few Affleck movies that I've liked.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Affleck movie wasn't great but it wasn't nearly as bad as people like to claim. I think a lot of the dislike is actually the unwarranted dislike that many people seem to feel for Affleck himself.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

After seeing Avengers, I wish every Marvel movie license would revert to Disney/Marvel Studios

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the director's cut version.

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Daredevil wasn't bad at all, though it could've been handled better. I would have preferred if Foggy had been privy to Matt's secret identity as in the comics, and the CGI animation just seemed to have been imported from Spider-Man. Also, doesn't DD practically execute (ok, decide not to save) a suspect in a subway early on? Hardly an accurate representation of the character in that respect. I think a reboot could be wise at this point.

9. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Maybe they'll do it like the new Hulk movie, where it "almost" fits and if you really want it to be a sequel you can call it that in your mind.

10. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Affleck movie, I think they caught the right story (the Miller Electra/Bullseye arc.)

As petty as it may seem, the huge thing I didn't like about the movie was the leather suit, it looked completely restrictive, uncomfortable, stiff, and not at all in synch with DD's style of acrobatics and fighting. I say this as someone who's worn similar leathers for biking, I wouldn't wear them in Karate class.

Because I was distracted by this throughout the film, it really detracted from the good things. With Keaton's Batman, it was stylised and tongue-in-cheek enough that the rubber suit actually kind of worked, but in a more serious style of movie, like Nolan's films, it needs a more realistic texture to be remotely plausible and not distracting. Daredevil is much the same, and in fact I think a Nolan-style take on the character would work even better than with Batman.

But generally the plot, dialogue, action scenes, actors, characterizations, etc., all worked for me. Not brilliant but enjoyable and there are a number of scenes I found memorable.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I should have clarified. I enjoyed the movie, but didn't fall in love with it till I saw the Director's cut. Sadly my copy was stolen when I was living with a bunch of guys I worked with, never got around to buying it again, but I should.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral