Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, May 30, 2008.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I'd always supposed, which in turn led me to the false assumption that the ship's scale was also changed between the pilots.

I had always imagined that around 200 was the minimum needed of each branch you needed to run the ship and fulfill the most basic of missions, and the 430 included full medical and science departments, yeomen, assistant/relief personnel, and so forth.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

There's also the approach that prior to "The Corbomite Maneuver", ships weren't sent out on "five year missions", just various assignments that never went too far out of range of the nearest starbase.

The increase in crew complement might have more to do with the now-longer missions.

As for the bridge, that taller dome always looked somewhat out of proportion, so shortening it certainly helped asthetically.

3. Praetor

Good thoughts.

Paralleling what we were talking about on the other thread, did you reference the TMoST drawing any when you were laying out the original version of your plans?

4. Captain Robert April

5. Praetor

Did you chose to disregard them for a particular reason, or did you just already have it said how you thought it would go?

6. Captain Robert April

TMoST's discrepancies are pretty well documented, not the least of which is how the drawings don't match the eleven footer. And that is the whole point, to fill in the eleven footer.

Besides, I think some folks have overinterpreted that 8 1/2 x 11 cross section over the years, reading things in that aren't necessarily there. Plus, Jefferies' view of the Enterprise always seemed to be in a state of flux, so any details from that end of the scale should always be viewed with at least a few grains of salt.

7. Praetor

Done. I shall return with a short list, in the hopes of inspiring you. ;)

8. BrookeStephen

BrookeStephen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So I'm waiting and waiting... what ABOUT the bowling alley?
    I still have to build one in my TOS VRML Enterprise...
    I've been trying to gather dimensions and designs...

Would they use transporters for pin-spotting?

I want to know - I NEED to know!

9. Captain Robert April

At the moment, I'm leaning towards having "the bowling alley" being one of several programs available in that early holodeck we saw in TAS' "The Practical Joker". Solves a multitude of problems that way. :D

10. BrookeStephen

BrookeStephen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ya know "holodecks" were added to TOS posthumously. By adding them to the "Enterprise" series, and first showing their use in TNG, you pretty much inject them into TOS. Only problem is, there's no holodecks in the FJ deckplans, and that's what I'm using for my model...

So it's going to be a real bowling alley.

11. Praetor

Technically, though, it was shown on TAS and mentioned in a roundabout way in TMoST. I'd say they wanted to have it but the budget prevented it.

Say, CRA, I just realized I don't have that most recent cross-section. Would you post it that I might nitpick? ;)

12. Captain Robert April

The fact is, I don't have the most recent one, either (it went buh-bye when I lost that computer in the eviction purge). I do have a thumbnail, though.

[​IMG]

13. Praetor

Ohh, that really sucks. The last set of yours I had saved is obviously older than that. How recent is the most recent one you have? (Incidentally, how is the computer you're using doing?)

A few thoughts:
    1) Escape pod size. I vaguely remember you having a specific reason for making them so big (was it the discolored panels?) but I still think they're a bit too big.

2) Power transfer line from impulse engine to power manifold - it seems more logical to have this follow a line parallel to the rear neck line, then bend downward, rather than the odd angles it seems to take.

3) Neck reinforcement - I remember you having trellis bracing on another version. Personally, I see a couple of structural beams as being enough.

4) Deuterium tank - I would suggest removing the TNG-style tank and using two or three smaller 'pod' tanks that could hold similar volume. More a stylistic thing for me than anything else, as I think it highlights technological evolution from TOS to TNG.

5) Engineering placement - I suggest switching them, and eliminating the green path from the matter/antimatter integrator running to the nacelle. Instead, have this flow into the manifold, and leave the red path that goes to the nacelle as-is. This would, IMO, simplify it greatly and also allow for an elevator/staging area behind the hangar deck evocative of what is shown in TMP and TFF.

6) Lower engineering - the one at the forward bottom of the secondary hull. I don't really think this is necessary. Storage might be better use of this space.

7) Antimatter pods/antimatter generator/deuterium injector - I think it might be worthwhile to actually put the antimatter pods below the power manifold so they could eject together, and shift the other two forward so they line up with the other ports. The last small port could then become the tractor beam.

I almost mentioned the sensor pod bay, but I think the setup you concocted works pretty well for something that I don't think was a part of the original design setup.

Now I know you had reasons for putting things where you did, which might address almost everything I've outlined. Feel free to use or disregard any suggestions as you see fit. ;)

14. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If memory serves? The "holodeck" mentioned in TMoST is what we eventually saw in TAS, But when FJ was drawing up his plans (Before TAS) he either misunderstood the TMoST's referance, or simply re-interpreted it? Either way, we end up with his deck 8 "entertainment center". However, in interviews I've read (help me out here, FalTorPan) FJ did say that he intended his "Personal Rec/Relaxation" rooms to be mini "holdecks".
    In my own retcon of FJ's "Achernar" sub-class into MJ's "Bonhomie Richards" sub-class, I've simply removed FJ's shrubery and divided the area up into three large "holodecks".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  15. Praetor

I think the reason that the reference to the proto-holodeck is interpreted different ways is because there is another mention following that in TMoST from Roddenberry that indicates that the 'recreation area' was built and would appear in season three, and by logical extension that it was the large botany set seen in (among others) 'And the Children Shall Lead.'

I don't see why the proto-holodeck wouldn't just be behind a door off of this facility.

Also, we should think up a name that isn't holodeck. Or proto-holodeck. I don't think it works like TNG holodecks. I think it's a combination of non-replicated projections and climate/fragrance modifications that aren't as sophisticated as the TNG setup.

16. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ That's another thing, FJ included his version of the 3rd season "herbarium" in his secondary hull botany section on deck 18 (for which he must have had access to MJ's production sketches?). But the prior referances in TMoST were to the deck 8 facility. So he evidently did not make the connection between that 3rd season set and the deck 8 facility described?

17. Praetor

Evidently, or just decided there wasn't enough space and moved it.

18. Captain Robert April

Let's tackle these one at a time...

Shaw's arguments on this matter have convinced me to dump the escape pods altogether. More room for cabins!

The angle was mainly to accommodate the turboshaft, but I suppose that could be tweaked a bit.

Considering the stresses that section is subjected to, and the relative slimness, I figured more than a couple of I-beams were needed. then I decided to put the turbolift maintenance section in there, and also figured some sort of honeycomb structure embedded into the hull would also do nicely for reinforcement, so...

I prefer to look at it as efficient use of an otherwise unusable space, and in a spaceship, every square centimeter has to have some justification. The slush tanks stay.

Well, y'see, there's that dilithium doohickey in the middle of the room, and for the plasma to be of any use to the warp engines, it has to go through the dilithium crystals, which means under the floor. Remember, it's not just a matter of efficiency, it's a matter of lining up with what was on screen (which is why, under protest, I included small emergency back-up M/AM reactors in the nacelles, to account for the occasional oddball reference that indicate that the nacelles have antimatter inside).

Maybe, but the contours of Engineering changed too much between the first and second seasons to chalk it up to a simple equipment upgrade. It's a whole different room. So, my solution is to really make it a different room, on the other side of the tube assembly, and chalk up the second version of the engine room to an equipment upgrade (who knows what that area was during the first season) and Main Engineering shifted from the forward area to the aft, with the forward room being kept as a backup, with its primary purpose now being monitoring the main fusion reactors.

The power manifold is only dangerous so long as the main reactor is running. Dump the main reactor, the manifold is just a bunch of orange tubes. Besides, the fusion reactors also use that manifold, especially if the M/AM reactor is offline for whatever reason. In any case, the components of the antimatter generator setup are all arranged to line up with the markings on the underside of the hull, i.e., the antimatter pods have their own ejection port.

And "The Immunity Syndrome" established that the Enterprise has more than one tractor beam, when Kirk ordered Scotty to put "two tractor beams" on Spock's shuttlecraft. I see the ship as having various types of discreet emitters all over the ship, as opposed to one big honking tractor beam emitter with a fairly limited field of view.

It does have the advantage of fitting the dialogue of "Court Martial" better than what they dreamed up for those remastered effects shot.

19. Praetor

Okay. I'm cool with your reasoning. Thanks. :)

20. Praetor

Perhaps s/he wants to know when the new set will be ready.