Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Beawild

Beawild Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm new here and I have a couple of questions.

1) How do I change the time? I'm on EST, but my time appears as hours ahead of my real time. Currently it says 7:09 PM, but it's 3:09 PM where I'm at.

2) How do I see the most current page on a thread first and not last? I have to click on "last page" to read the most recent comments. Is this how this site functions or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for all responses.

:)

2. jksNDNgrl66

jksNDNgrl66 Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone. Just found this site a couple days ago and joined up! I've been a huge fan of the original series and James Kirk/William Shatner since childhood. Thanks for adding me and I am excited to meet fellow lovers of Star Trek!

3. Cromwell

Cromwell Lieutenant Red Shirt

Click on "User CP" (it's near the top left-hand corner), then "Edit Options" (in the "Options & Settings" section), then scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" section and change the "Thread Display Mode" from "Linear - Oldest First" to "Linear - Newest First".

Same as above, but underneath the "Thread Display Options" section is a "Date & Time Options" section.

4. Beawild

Beawild Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank you so much for your help, Cromwell. I was floundering.

:hugegrin:

5. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

I would love to see these be made. I recommend for the NSA thing put it in "Trek Other" As well a for the enterprise conundrum.

And please do alert me when they are up I would love to respond to them!

6. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Welcome fellow Trekkie Chick! It is a fun sight 95% of the time. only 5% of people are people to avoid. I love all the discussions and threads. I'm on here every day :)

7. CaptJaneway

CaptJaneway Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello, everyone!

I am beyond surprised that this screenname was not already taken, but I'm glad to have the handle of my favorite captain!

My fiancé recently got me watching Star Trek. I never thought I would watch it; I had no interest. But while I was working on a huge project one day he put on Voyager from the beginning, and from that day on it was all over. I'm currently on the 5th season of Voyager and the 5th season of TNG. I found the pilot of TOS a little too sexist, but I'm willing to give the rest of TOS a chance. I've also recently started Deep Space 9.

I know there are lots of people who don't like Enterprise, and I kinda get their point already. The thing I like so much about Star Trek is the exploration, and I'm afraid Enterprise will be too far in the past that there won't be anything new (for the viewer) to explore! I will, of course, watch this series, too, but this is just my first impression--not my final verdict!

I'm excited to talk to other people who love this series. I'm not attached to any of the preconceived notions I have about any of the series. I have enjoyed almost all of the episodes I've watched so far, and I'll be excited to have seen them all.

Here are my favorite characters in no particular order (limited right now to Voyager and TNG):

-Janeway
    -Seven of Nine
    -Kes (for the first three seasons at least; her last ones were a little off to me)
    -The Doctor
    -B'Elanna
    -Data
    -Worf
    -Deanna
    -Geordi

Least favorite characters so far:

-Riker (he's so lecherous!)

Actually. I thought there would be more least favorite characters, but Riker actually seems to be the only one to rub me the wrong way at this point. Hmm.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!

8. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Welcome!

You should check out the Voyager forum, I'm sure another Janeway will be appreciated.

9. lizlovestrek

lizlovestrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi, my name's Elizabeth. I've been a fan of Star Trek only since 2013. I started out with the reboot movies, then went on to TOS and the first six of that era of movies. TOS is by far my favorite, with Spock being my favorite character. (When I learned of Mr. Nimoy's passing it hurt me in my heart).

I found this site a couple months ago when looking for a Star Trek forum to join, and have only recently made an account. I'm happy to have found this place as I have no one irl with which to discuss Star Trek or any other of my fandoms like Supernatural.

Um, I don't know what else to say, but thank for running a great forum.

10. Tiger Devil Dog

Tiger Devil Dog Captain Captain

Hi all. Been watching Star Trek for a few years. Have seen all the series and movies. Big fan. Was looking for some place to discuss StarTrek with fellow fans. Thanks for having me

11. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello, everyone! Happy to be here. I've been a Trekkie since the age of 6, when TNG premiered, then got into TOS when I was a little older, but Deep Space Nine holds my heart. As for novels, I'm late to the game, but I've just started the Destiny trilogy and am enjoying it so far. Looking forward to talking some Trek!

12. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Welcome to you both!

13. Captain Shade

Captain Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And welcome to everyone. Sorry I've been so quiet. I've been busy putting ships up, on my DA site.

14. JTShanks

JTShanks Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kind of late in this thread due to the fact that I didn't even know we had one until now (also a relative n00b in the BBS so cut me some slack.)

I pretty much grew up a semi-dyslexic kid (reading and learning weren't an impossibility with me but it was a difficult tri-mester for me), somewhat anti-social and I guess you could have called me that stereotypical nerd from across the halls.

I always loved science fiction, fantasy, and all that stuff since I was but a mere young child (ask me about anything if you wish for me to go into detail), but I did not discover Star Trek until my early Teens, it was also around this time I started to grow out of that dyslexic stage of my life and I guess I can thank Star Trek for helping me grow from all that as well; always wanted to be as not only intelligent as some of my favorite characters on the show but also wanted to be one of them, ever since then much like what Kirk said in the episode: "The Menagerie"; "A Vulcan cannot tell a lie just like how a Vulcan cannot go without reading."

A statement even true to me since ever I got out of that tough stage of mine I became an avid reader as well; cannot go a day without reading something.

As for my history with Star Trek; I like TOS the best out of the six shows but I like the others just as well. TNG comes in a close second; my personal favorite ship is the Galaxy Class with a close second for the TOS Constitution. Favorite alien species is the Vulcans (grew up with a crush on T'Pol).

15. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Welcome everyone! I haven't been here terribly long, but I've loved every minute of it. I've come on here almost every day since I joined a few months back. All of you will love this site!

16. Captain Shade

Yup. It's a lovely site, with lovely people, with a love for a lovely show!

17. Mark R. Largent

Mark R. Largent Ensign Red Shirt

Hello, all!

I've been a Trek fan since I was a kid in the early 1970s. I took part in Trek discussions on Usenet back in the mid-90s and (like everyone else at the time) had my own Star Trek fan page. I created a 15-minute animated Star Trek parody called "Stalled Trek: Amutt Time" (which you can see on YouTube) and hope to do parodies of more episodes in the future. Along with my pal, Mark McCrary, I'm working on a Star Trek fan comic we originally wrote and pencilled in 1992 and hope to have completed and online in time for the 50th anniversary next year. I feel like I drifted away from Trek for awhile, but the ancient drives are too strong. :-)

18. Captain Shade

Well, glad to have you back into the Trek fold...Mark in the Fold?

19. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hello, new forum member here from the UK. Lifelong Star Trek fan, now in my early thirties. A lover of lots of Sci-fi, but Star Trek definitely is my first sci-fi love.

Whilst my younger self hated DS9 when it started, that's the show that eventually grew to be my favourite.

I have recently started a new hobby building model kits (will likely all be sci-fi based) and am some way into my first project - an Enterprise-B.

Looking forward to participating in some Trek based discussions.

20. Captain Shade

Ta much for joining us, here in the forums, SOS. Glad to have ya.