The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This is what it beat:

The 18-49 and 25-54 tallies broke basic cable’s previous records posted by the premiere of USA Network’s The Dead Zone in June 2002 (4.0 million in 18-49, 4.1 million in 25-54)

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. That's rediculous that they even fired the showrunner. They should have let him have more of a chance than they did.

3. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Looks like AMC is pulling a SyFy on this show.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it's being rerun all over the place.

I liked this first episode well enough. It didn't disappoint. I hope the series doesn't go downhill. That's all that can really be said at this point.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Did anyone watch The Talking Dead? It didn't end up airing until after the encore (at 12am EST), so I had my DVR record it and I watched it today. It was mildly amusing at times, but I'm not sure if it'll offer all that much week-in, week-out. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me; it did seem like it would just be a fluff extra when it was announced.

Patton Oswalt and James Gunn as the guests was a little odd, and I don't think they added much to the show.

Robert Kirkman appeared for a few minutes and addressed the "hiding under cars" issue by (paraphrasing here) that the sense of smell the zombies had exhibited in season one was very rudimentary and the best they were able to do was tell that the survivors were not like them, so he considered hiding under cars to be sufficient; "they're not bloodhounds," he said during his answer.

Other than that, there was some footage shown from when the scene with Daryl and Rick cutting open the walker in the woods was being filmed. Andrew Lincoln talked about how much Norman Reedus had been looking forward to doing that scene, and James Gunn recounted an anecdote from sitting next to Michael Rooker at an event where the premiere was screened. Apparently Rooker didn't think Reedus was cutting into the body correctly.

Ah, nice. That would've been my guess; I remember the news of it breaking records back when it premiered. I also remember being happy about that because I had loved the pilot.

6. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I watched it and found the comedian to be extremely annoying. The whole show seemed very forced and pretentious. I promptly deleted it from my season pass manager.

All-in-all, it really just made me more concerned about what AMC has in store for us.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I thought it was a good episode, but, yea, probably didn't need to be an hour and a half.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Feel the same way. It was good but dragged a little toward the end. I would feel less good about it if not for the ending. I liked the herd and Andrea's talk with Dale was actually the highlight of the show for me. The church going zombies was interesting, and it seems like the Walking Dead TV zombies are smarter than the ones in the comics.

I thought T-Dog was a goner, don't know why he was walking around later after losing so much blood. Finding blood for him could've been a separate storyline. Also didn't get why he had like one line of dialogue in a 90-minute show. They could've spread the wealth around. Come to think of it Glenn didn't say much either.

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

My friend who originally turned me onto the show fears it's going to become a "Zombie Soap opera." He watches the film for the blood and guts and the "shoot the Zombie," intense scenes.

He also is guessing that when Jenner whispered in Rick's ear he told him that his wife was pregnant. Good guess - we'll see. But if that plot twist were to come to pass it would amp up the soap opera nature of the show and diminish the zombie part.

We'll see.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

You could mess that up by blasting them with some sort of concentrated oil or extract. Then how would they smell?

11. Sindatur

There is no way the show would've even lasted for the initial 6 episodes if not, rounded out by the Drama. The show would never survive as simply a splatter-fest.

Not sure why your friend ever thought it wouldn't be a Zombie Soap Opera.

12. DarthTom

I should have said better, the male/female interpersonal relationship drama.

13. Sindatur

Ah, that kind of Soap Opera, OK, got it. I thought you meant like LOST kind of Soap Opera (Though LOST got carried away with the Sawyer, Kate, Jack triangle itself)

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point.. I should have clarified that I don't think he's suddenly become "not racist" but more that he knows the good of the many outweigh the good of the one.. So while he may still harbor racist inclinations (albeit not as bad as his brother), he knows humanity is on the line here and he'll do what he has to, to help out.

As for the Catholic thing... Most Christian churches all use the cross, but unless I'm mistaken, it's only Catholicism (and perhaps Eastern/Greek Orthodox) that uses the actual "Christ on the Cross" icon in their churches... At least that's what I was taught in my RCC upbringing... I would be very surprised to see that in a Baptist church...

15. DarthTom

I give them a break with this incontunity because I think there was supposed to be a lot of irony happening praying to the dead Jesus on the cross who was re-born. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into that imagery?

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all. I saw that as pretty fitting to the theme of the show. I'm just wondering how the three in the church got to be where they were? Were they fatally bitten and had gone there to pass away quietly, only to revive as "squatter" type zombies (like the ones we saw in the bus in the premiere, which revived when Rick went by on his high horse)? Or perhaps they were locked in there after they'd turned and simply sat down in the pews when they couldn't find a way out? The door wasn't exactly barricaded, but some zombies don't seem to know much about door knobs while others do...

Anyway, I'm liking TWD because it's NOT a zombie splatterfest. No zombie production has lasted longer than a couple hours on screen and Milla Jovovich aside, there's been absolutely no chance to see what would happen to a bunch of survivors of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term. That's exactly what I want to see and why I'll keep watching.

And as for Talking Dead, waste of time. I'd have prefered to have director's comments and production insights, and not just a bunch of fans talkign about what they've just seen. We've got THIS thread for that. ;)

Mark

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, i'd say it's appropriate....i mean technically, you culd say Jesus was a zombie -- He rose from the dead!

Darth Tom, i'd say your surprise would be justified...

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I agree that it's interesting as a TV/Movie exercise, but always kinda annoyed at how that's supposed to work. In I Am Legend, at least, it made some sense, as they really weren't undead zombies, but just people changed by the virus.

In your typical zombie scenario, it's dead flesh brought back to life again, albeit at less than 100% functionality.

How does that not burn itself out in a week or two?

Rural zombies, getting by on hunting animals and whatnot? Sure, that makes sense, could last a while that way, but not the urban/city zombies. What are they eating? Once the humans are all eaten or now fellow zombies, they should die out pretty quickly. No water, no food. Somehow almost without fail, though, zombies are shown in large groups, in big cities, etc. Even if whatever magic science that created the zombie drastically reduces the intake requirements, eventually the body is going to need water and food, or the muscles are just going to fail, and you get re-dead zombies. Seems like within a week or so, they'd HAVE to start feeding on each other, and then the whole thing should clear itself out shortly thereafter.

I just found this series right before the S2 premiere, and caught up quick. Enjoying it a lot so far, the above not withstanding. I like the story it's telling, even if the zombie science itself annoys me :)

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I watched it today and I didn't see any drop in quality from season one at all. Outstanding writing, acting and direction all around. The search for the girl was suspenseful and I was frustrated at the lack of resolution; and the cliffhanger with the boy was pretty horrifying-- was that god's sign for Rick?

I felt bad for Dale. No good deed goes unpunished; although everything Andrea said was technically true. I love his character, though. Great scene when he said that he had fixed the RV yesterday. I wonder if his belief that he knows what's best for everyone will ever backfire on him.

While I agree that Shane was being a pussy, it was not unbelievable. Grown people act like idiots when there's romance or sex involved-- or their pride is at stake.

I can't wait to see what happens next week. They better find that little girl.

[​IMG]

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Zombie Science, that's just it - most zombie movies don't HAVE to worry about that stuff, since the movie's over in two hours. :) Here we have an opportunity to really take a good look at how the world will remain dangerous in a reasonable time frame. It's been (I think) less than two months since the outbreak in story time, and the population has already been decimated - we just aren't seeing much of the people who've been made into neural chow, where we probably SHOULD be seeing many more skeletons and remains of the devoured. I believe that the comics establish the changes in zombie behaviour and ability as the rot and winter set in, but that may be spoilerish.

And speaking of a darn fine poke at how zombies work despite a lack of food, I'd always recommend Max Brooks' books for a great analysis on the many topics...

Mark