Casting J.J. Abrams' Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shaka Zulu, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My recommendation: Vin Diesel as Captain Picard. :D

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^He's old enough for it, but he might have to change his accent a little. Or, we would have to alter his back-story (Picard comes from New Orleans, and is a Cajun, or he comes from a small town in Quebec.)

I'd go with Jean Reno or Jean Claude Van Damme for the role of Picard.

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Jean Claude Van Damme?

:shrug:

Why not Danny De Vito or Gilbert Gottfried?

Paris Hilton could play Dr. Crusher. Pamela Anderson would guest star as Necheyev.

And Elijah Wood could be Alexander.

This movie practically writes itself!

:beer:

5. milojthatch

milojthatch Lieutenant Red Shirt

It will never happen. After the next film, I doubt will see JJ touch Star Trek ever again and thank goodness! :bolian:

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Seeing as how everyone in JJverse ridiculously young, Picard would be considered ancient at just 30, whilst the rest of his crew would all be teens or 20somethings, so here is one possible line-up :)

Captain Picard – Henry Cavill
    Commander Riker – Dave Franco
    Doctor Crusher – Emma Stone
    Lt. Commander Data – Nicholas Hoult
    Lt. Commander LaForge – Michael B. Jordan
    Counsellor Troi – Analeigh Tipton
    Lieutenant Yar – Chloe Moretz
    Lieutenant JG Worf – Jaden Smith

7. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not getting how another Abrams topic is once again in the General Trek section. Apparently he's everyone's favorite whipping boy on this forum. If one is gone and off to the movie section, shouldn't this one go too?

8. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

what, no Wesley?

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm certain we can find a precocious 8 year old to play him. ;)
    The continuance of the "JJverse" does not require Abrams to touch anything at this point, any more than the continuance of the Primeverse has required Roddenberry's involvement since at least back to when he passed away.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This one probably belongs in the 'Future of Trek'. But I also don't see an issue with it being here as it's talking about two different elements of the franchise. :shrug:

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoever plays Picard should actually be French, and then we can all complain for years about his lack of a British accent.

12. BillJ

"The Picard Accent Wars" were dark times in the kingdom... :rofl:

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

How about Djimon Hounsou as Picard?

True he might be a little young (just 49), but he'd definitely be a dominant presence on the Bridge.

14. BillJ

Patrick Stewart was 47 when TNG premiered.

15. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

Aye aye. No reason to recast a superb cast. Some of these filmmakers and fans have no original bone in their body.

16. BillJ

Or we are more interested in being entertained than treating Star Trek like some religious relic.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Theatre has been modifying, recasting and retelling stories since the dawn of time. And the TNG crew loved theatre...

18. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

How can you be entertained by an exact copy?

TNG didn't copy TOS - Stewart was Picard, not Kirk. Brent was Data, not Spock. DS9 didn't copy TOS, Voyager didn't copy TOS etc etc

And yeah, theater retells classic stories, a bit differently.

People are entertained by amazing stories, new characters, new problems, new insights, the wow! factor, not cheap copies. People like Abrams want to make a quick dollar, they don't want to put the work in that is required to make something great. Imagine if Gene said in the 80's "Screw it, let's just redo TOS". We would miss out on a lot of good stuff and enjoyment from TNG characters which were completely different. But people like Gene didn't have a poor attitude and were true creators and legends.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sure it did. Kirk became Picard and Riker. Spock became Data, Troi and Worf. McCoy became Crusher and Pulaski.

And a recast TNG would tell "classic stories" a bit differently.

People are entertained by many things. Including new stories featuring old characters.

Gene was no stranger to making a buck. Star Trek was an attempt to make a buck. The IDIC medallion was an attempt to make a buck.

You've no idea how much work Abrams and his team put into their films. Just because you don't like the results doesn't mean the people involved didn't work hard.

TMP and Phase II were Gene's attempt to redo TOS and if TWOK had bombed/never been made, I'm pretty sure Gene would have gone with Kirk, Spock and McCoy as his characters in the next TV version of Trek. Possibly even with new actors in the parts. As stated above, TNG was partially Phase II with the names changed to protect the film series.

Abrams has a pretty good track record on TV and film as a creator. Hits shows and fan faves.

20. BillJ

Not an exact copy. Not even a copy.

I think it's rather poor form to accuse Abrams of not putting in the work, especially since you have no clue about these films. He's been in charge of two of the most critically acclaimed, financially successful, best directed and visually stunning Star Trek films.

I'm not sure Gene Roddenberry and "true creator" belong in the same sentence. He came up for the original outline for Star Trek, but there were a ton of people credited and uncredited (ask Gerrold, Fontana and Justman about TNG) responsible for Star Trek's success. Of course, he lifted nothing from others while creating Star Trek.