NHL 2011/2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Winterwind, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Well, Duncan Keith has a phone hearing tomorrow for his elbow to the head on Daniel Sedin, which knocked him out of the game and most definitely a few weeks minimum.

Link

That it is a phone hearing means he won't be suspended for more than 5 games, the more serious suspensions are dealt when it's an in person hearing.

I dunno man, maybe I have my homer glasses on, but that seems like an extraordinarily dirty play to me - the puck is nowhere near him and it's a malicious and predatory elbow to the head full of intent to injure. I think that should probably be more than 5 games, isn't that exactly the type of thing the NHL is trying to abolish? I think I'd be saying the same thing if this was a player on another team (except the Flames).

Any non Canuck fans want to weigh in on that? Am I being too much of a homer here?

2. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that looked pretty dirty. Puck was way up in the air and even if his intent was to stop Sedin from getting to it when it landed, he could have easily done it without the elbow. Also looks like Keith was trying to jump into it too as his right leg looks like it lifted off the ice.

3. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all, the haters will hate. I saw this post from a hawks fan on another board.

Any reply to him I could come up with would be as useless as tossing dust into the wind.

4. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Yes, you are being a homer. ;)

No reason for Keith to even hit Sedin in that situation. At best, it's an interference call. There's no way either of them could have played the puck, at least from what I saw, so why hit him?

The elbow and leaving his feet are pretty dirty.

I think any time a player is knocked out of the game due to injury caused by a play that draws a suspension, the suspended player is out for as long as the injured player, as determined by a league doctor - not the team doctor. Would put a stop to this chickenshit right away.

And, Steve Bertuzzi would be out of the game.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Is Steve any relation to Todd, who suckered Steve Moore? ;)

6. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I hate the guy so much that I don't even want to say his name. :p

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Apparently he waived his right to an in-person meeting so he could still be facing a longer suspension. Link

8. Gil T.Azell

Reports say 5 games.
    Story

9. Winterwind

And Sedin is apparently out indefinitely with a concussion. I'm just one more of those that believe when you injure a player, you're out until they return.

Now, on the lighter side... TSN continues to taunt Maple Leafs fans. The write-up for every game says "Leafs fight to keep playoff hopes alive". So, mathematically, they still have some extremely minute chance. IF they win every remaining game and the 4 teams immediately above them lose every game and the stars align just right... I love the media sometimes. :D

10. Gil T.Azell

I suppose the CBC moved him to the Toronto games? why I don't know I didn't find him as much of a Homer as Bob Cole or Dick Irving or Danny Gallivan could be for Montreal or Toronto.

The one they Have for the Vancouver game are horrid and dull.
    Hughson is neutral.

11. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Winterwind

Jim Hughson shouldn't be allowed near the broadcast booth unless he's fetching the snacks and drinks for real broadcasters. Joe Bowen will probably always be my favourite. "Holy Mackinaw!"

13. Savage Dragon

I always liked Chris Cuthbert's play-by-play. He gets so excited when something big happens.

14. Danny99

It's sad to see CBC let him go.

15. Savage Dragon

Well the Leafs are officially out of the playoffs for the seventh straight season. I'd gloat but the Sens are by no means assured a playoff spot either.

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I think you gotta be happy with the Senator's season and the amazing progress they made this year regardless of what happens, on what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Future looks pretty bright.

17. Danny99

There was one of my Sens fan friends who was gloating about how much better Murray is as a GM over Burke. The Murray build has not been without its bumps. Murray has been GM of the Sens for one season longer than Burke has been GM of the Leafs and hasn't made it out of the first round in the two trips to the playoffs during that time (Yes, two more than the Leafs made under Burke) Last season, Ottawa finished last in the division, only keeping out of last place in the conference by two points. So, don't think that just because the Sens are barely holding onto 7th that Murray is some anointed God.

Both teams have a long way to go.

18. Gil T.Azell

Not a fan of Mr. Mercer at all don't think hes funny.
    but this is related to the two posts above.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eyWPNoB7iQ[/yt]
    Enjoy

19. Savage Dragon

Absolutely.

Never said he was.

20. Winterwind

And the complete and utterly humiliating self-destruction of the Maple Leafs continues. I think they've set a record now for consecutive homes losses.

If the new Rogers/Bell joint ownership don't axe the incompetent egomaniac Burke this summer... Well, I expect it to continue and the team record for consecutive non-playoff appearances will continue too.

Still, there is that bottom five lottery pick (if Burke doesn't trade it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.