The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I knew something was up with the driver of the van because his appearance was so disguised, but I didn't figure out that it was Gordon until he showed up. For much of the chase, I figured it was Joker disguised as a police officer again--until he showed up on the truck.

2. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't even think anything special of the cop who was hiding his appearance, I just though he was being professional. The possibility that he was Gordon or one of Joker's men or something like that never entered my mind.

3. Hobs202

Hobs202 Commodore Commodore

Absolutely amazing! The Joker totally owned this movie. He was one of the most chilling villains in movie history. What makes him so scary is that he's a puppet master with no motives, and nothing to gain or lose that Batman can use against him. His actions can't be predicted because he follows no rules. He does what he does just because he can.

And yes, I fully admit that I actually believed that Gordon was killed. The part in which the police inform in his family really bought me off.

Also, I'm thinking that there's a good chance that Two-Face is still alive. First of all, Batman survived the fall. Also, the fact that the coin landed on the "live" side when he fell down hinted that Two-Face may have survived.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Batman was wearing body armour. And the characters certainly don't act like he's alive (their planned coverup makes no provision for dealing with him).

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

One thing's for sure... I don't recall the level of discussion with "Batman Begins" that I've been seeing with TDK.

6. CaptainCanada

I must say, the indignation on the IMDB's Godfather board is pretty fun.

7. Hobs202

Hobs202 Commodore Commodore

Well, if he really is dead, then that opens up the question as to who the next villain in the third movie will be (Riddler or the Penguin, perhaps?)

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah Ledger may not have been riveting from start to finish (at times he came across like just your traditional movie villain), but he still had several moments where he commanded the screen in a way I've seen few actors ever do-- when he was telling the stories about how he got his scars, or the interrogation room scene with Batman, for instance.

I've always thought Nicholson's take was severly underrated by the fans, but I gotta agree it looks hammy as HELL next to what Ledger did with it. :D

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Nolan definitely gave us a lot to chew over.

And at least, instead of having an endless argument over whether the movie is good or not (see Indy 4, SR, and pretty much everything else), we actually get to have a civil, in depth discussion about it.

That's kind of refreshing, right? :D

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The few people who didn't like the film have mostly been swept away by the gigantic wave of love for the film. :lol:

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well one person who voted "Poor" said he hated this movie in advance and has no intention of seeing it, which he somehow thinks doesn't invalidate everything bad he has to say about it. I guess every forum on this site is required to have one of those. :brickwall:

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

:smacks head:

THAT MAKES SENSE!!!!

I was wondering what was up with the driver of the armored truck and why his face was completely covered. After a while I just figured they got cheap and either re-used an extra (and didn't want to mess up continuity) or they were too cheap to pay the guy extra for using his face.

It was Gordon!

OF COURSE!!!!

So here's a question.

The burning fire truck blocked off their access to the street so they had to divert to a underground tunnel below their street, right? Why didn't they just simply drive on the other side of the avenue? The street had been cleared, they're police so they can do that so why did they go down into the tunnel?! Further, if the streets were supposed to be clear why was there traffic in the lower/tunnel street?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  13. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I was thinking along the same lines. Only, I thought it was one of the Joker's men. I never believed they would actually kill Gordon off. But, when they showed the police informing his wife I did start to wonder.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Don't have an answer to the first question, but as for the second: The lower streets weren't part of the planned route and thus likely weren't expected to need to be cleared. It would've required additional manpower that they may not have had available at that time to clear alternate routes as well.

15. Trekker4747

Body, er... "armour" doesn't protect you in a fall. It's the stopping that hurts you and no ammount of armor can prevent your impact area from stopping and everything else trying to continue down. But it does occur to me, and this became obvious on seeing the drop from Wayne's condo with Rachel again, and remembering the raid in Hong Kong as well as the tech-establishment in the first movie that this Batman's cape acts as a kind-of para-sail/dragchute. When Batman and Rachel fall out of the tower you can see the cape acting, more or less, as a chute and they actualy seem to smash into the car quite gently. (So to speak.)

Batman's fall was also likely "broken" a bit by crashing through the boards and such on his way down.

16. Avilos

Avilos Guest

I could have swore that you see Two Face's body breathing after the fall. Even his mouth moving slightly. On the scared side which was CGI. So unless I was seeing things it was intentional!!! Aaron Eckhart would not have been able to completely still his body. But the movements of his CGI mouth were a choice... Of course I am still not sure...;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  17. CaptainCanada

It does in a comic book movie.;)

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well Harvey fell straight down. Batman held on for dear life for a moment before falling. In other words, he had time TO PREPARE! :p

19. Trekker4747

Quiet you.

I'm going with cape=drag chute idea. Even when it's not activate to act as his parasail it still acts as a parachute.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he whipped out a can of Anti-Falling Spray and used that before he landed. ;)