Spock ponfarred Saavik but she cant have been impregnated

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Shat Happens, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It occurred to me just now, after all these years :brickwall:

Saavik can't have been impregnated by Spock because as we all know he's a hybrid therefore sterile.

(Or, as McCoy would put it, cross bred green blooded pointy eared hobgoblin)

Considering the near-canon hypothesis she also is hybrid then there's definitely no chance.

Whew, I'm so much relieved.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Then explain Worf and K'Ehleyr's Alexander, who is a quarter human.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Spock's a Vulcan, not a mule.

4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I don't know why there would ever need to be an unplanned pregnancy.

Don't they have advanced birth control in the 23rd century?

5. Shat Happens

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't it one of the movie novelizations that told us Saavik was half-Vulcan/half-Romluan? Those two are close enough not to be considered a hybrid really.

And didn't one of the movie novels indicate Saavik might be pregnant, and that was why she stayed on Vulcan?

I read those novels at the time the movies came out (or a little while before), so I might be imagining these things.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not aware of any onscreen dialogue indicating that Spock was sterile.

8. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. No different really than saying someone is half German and half Native American.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least Leonard Nimoy was able to give Spock a decent Pon Farr episode, to make up for the one he had in AMOK TIME. In The Original Series, of course, when Spock gets to Vulcan he's shaming himself at every turn. Stonn's looking at him with such indignation like, "I can't believe 'they'd' set up T'Pring with this guy. Just look at him ..." And here's Spock, telling T'Pau - High Priestess of all she surveys - that his eyes are aflame, as he's doing everything he can to contain his raging hormones, out in full view of the Public, who's come to gawk. So ... yeah ... Pon Farr on Genesis was a much better Pon Farr. Much better ... however it worked out.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither. Besides, this was Genesis-resurrected Spock. Even if the old Spock was sterile (which again we have no reason to assume), that need not apply to the young Spock on the Genesis Planet. The biological functions of that young Spock are obviously contrary to those of his old biology, since according to those he should be dead, not to mention older.

11. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Also Tarsis, who is a quarter Romulan but managed to convince Starfleet that he was a quarter Vulcan.

12. Shat Happens

Half-Vulcan. Big difference.

13. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

For what it's worth, the novel Yesterday's Son reveals that Spock had a son Zar with Zarabeth.

IIRC, one of the novels, Sarek or Spock's World I think, revealed that there was some genetic engineering, or something like it, involved in Spock's conception.

The idea that all the major species share a common ancestor in their seeding does smooth the way a bit to allow for fertile hybrids imo. It's all make believe anyways, and there are examples of alien hybrids having children.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until this thread, I never realized 'Pon Farr' could be used in the form of a verb. :evil:

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    His mother was human...

It's the same difference as Europeans being able to have viable offspring with the native Americans (as in no difference at all). Unless genetic engineering has happened or some drastic change has occurred in one culture's reproduction system, a few thousand years' separation makes no difference.

Considering that Sarek intended Spock to carry on the family name, lineage, and place in Vulcan society, for sure he'd have made sure Spock would be able to father viable offspring.

16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

We share a common ancestor with every lifeform on
    Earth.

17. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I thought that Pon Farr had more to do with the telepathic bonding to a mate than intercourse.

18. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It was for mating though, otherwise there would be little logic behind this biological function. Spock hoped he'd be spared it because of his human blood, but he was not. He might have just had a very long and irregular cycle. Maybe another reason T'Pring was upset....so long between matings.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ST3 mating with Saavik is proof enough that there is no seven-year or even sevenish-year (say, 23-year) cycle for Spock: not only is the onset timed drastically differently from the "Amok Time" one, he only did the nasty with the poor girl once (cf. time concerns), despite aging past several seven-year markers, indeed, past several decades.

It may well be that there is no cycle for any Vulcans as such, when it comes to copulating: the cycle may only apply to mating, that is, finding a mate, and will go on hold once a mate is found, wed, and remains in telepathic contact.

As for hybrids and their fertility, we know that Gul Dukhat had unwanted offspring with his Bajoran lover. Did she secretly take "unilateral proceptives" or what? Where did she obtain those, imprisoned with Dukhat in his orbital fortress? The case is proof enough that the need for medical treatment in hybrid conception is not extensive, although it might still exist.

If Spock conceived a child on Planet Genesis, medical intervention may have been required - but may also have been available. Perhaps Saavik had been planning on having a child with somebody out of her species, possibly David, and had already been taking the necessary medication?

Timo Saloniemi

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The Trek III situation can't be used as a barometer of Pon Farr. The guy was aging so rapidly how could you expect him to behave in a standard rhythm?