No News, No Nothing!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Transwarp Drive, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Especially since the last one, because of all the secrecy, tanked at the box office. :rolleyes:

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Think back. How much buzz do you remember there being prior to the 2008 SDCC poster sets? There wasn't much: scattered tidbits, with large stretches of dead quiet in between.

It wasn't until the EW article in mid-October and the first theatrical trailer in November (roughly six months before release) that things really started to warm up last time, promo- and buzz-wise.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You mean it's a whole nine months away.

The last movie was the most successful Trek project in ages. I suspect they know what they're doing.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some movies are so over hyped that I'm sick of them before they come out. Obviously this wouldn't be the case with ST:XII for me but I do think it's a danger of too much publicity machining.

5. Transwarp Drive

Transwarp Drive Lieutenant

It's not so much the lack of publicity, if this was 2 years after the original movie, momentum alone wound carry it forward.

But this is 4 years later, there's no TV show (probably no bad thing), there's no media profile and no buzz.

This could hurt the box office.

6. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Buzz doesn't need months to build, although it can. There is nothing, in theory, that prevents a movie from having a month long marketing campigen and still be a success.

7. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It certainly didn't tank, however:

Star Trek - Worldwide: $385,680,446

The Avengers - Worldwide: $1,501,845,000.

Avengers made double domestic than Star Trek did worldwide. Logically speaking, it could be because Marvel started promoting Avengers from 2010 onwards. Hell, Iron Man 2 was basically one big promo for it. So yes, the extreme amount of secrecy is truly hurting this movie. At least thats what I think. :)

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't tell whether you're joking or not, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would really expect a Star Trek movie of any caliber to pull in as much as Avengers.

9. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The Avengers" is also the combination of a few successful franchises in which two characters were featured and mega successful films previously. It's not fair to make that comparison since the circumstances as to why "The Avengers" had a box office advantage is a little more unique.

10. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

I think there was a lot more buzz. There was also that enterprise construction trailer like a year and half before the movie ended up coming out in.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

One teaser and there will be more buzz than you can shake a beehive at. Whether it's now or four months from now.

Months ago we got to see a fight scene! How cool is that? We've seen pictures of Spock in his "volcano suit" we've seen the Klingon pic, we've seen the new shuttle, we know loads of the locations used, we saw the new Stargate Altantis-style uniforms, we've seen Alice Eve's Dr. Dehner haircut, we've seen Scotty and Chekov dressed for a military funeral, we've seen the red forest....

I say we've had plenty.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Interesting article. I'll agree one of the reasons I didn't bother with Super 8 was the fact that there was no indication at all what it was about. But the primary reason was that it was an Abrams movie, and I am in no mood for anymore of his GNDNMFs (Goes Nowhere Does Nothing Mind Fucks). I'll only bother with Trek XII because it is Star Trek.

But as much as I hate Abrams's uber secrecy and clamp down of info, I'm afraid I don't agree it'll hurt the box office. This is a Star Trek movie, I have no doubt that by May there will be some sort of Star trek presence to make the general public aware. TV commercials, action figures, Burger King promotions, the works. My main pet peeve is that not everyone is as secretive as Abrams. I cna think of plenty of movies released here lately in which the producers/directors/stars revealed a lot more than we know about Trek XII and those movies did fine. For example, even though the role he was playing was initially not revealed when it was announced Tom Hardy was going to be in The Dark Knight Rises, we found out over a year before the movie's release that he was playing Bane. Just when do we find out who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing? All we know is that maybe he's Khan, but possibly he's Gary Mitchell. He's probably not Cloud William and definitely not Charile X.

14. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In this mystery, the first trailer will come with great expectations. The responsibility to not disappoint the audience is greater than if you were giving information gradually.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

And with that greater responsibility comes the greater likelihood of disappointment.

Personally, If I hadn't known of most of the controversial bits in ST XI long before I actually saw it, I probably would have freaked right there in the theater. Foreknowledge allowed me to deal with all that shit early, and truly enjoy the movie for what it was.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I actually kinda wish that I hadn't heard about the Spock/Uhura thing ahead of time. I would have loved to have had my jaw dropped in the theater along with the rest of the audience.

That would've been great.

(I still regret that a friend warned me about the chestburster scene in ALIEN before I saw it for the first time!)

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Last time around it was: "Star Trek needs to be promoted like The Dark Knight" and "If only Star Trek had been promoted like The Dark Knight, it would have made a lot more" and "Look at how much The Dark Knight made overseas, compared to Star Trek! They should have done more international promotion", when there's nothing to show that any of that would have been remotely true. Comparing Star Trek to Batman was comparing apples to oranges then, and so is comparing Star Trek to The Avengers now.

Meh.

The whole point to Cloverfield was that people knew almost nothing going in, and Super 8 ended up turning a nice profit in spite of audiences not being spoiled on everything well in advance. It's also a fact that the way those movies were promoted was distinctly different from the way Star Trek was promoted - you might recall that, with the post-Super Bowl ad blitz in February 2009, a lot of people were wondering whether Star Trek hadn't already been overpromoted and the hype was peaking too soon.

So not worried about the promo aspect of this. Abrams and his Bad Robots know what they're doing. It'll all happen in plenty of time, and plenty of people will be plenty aware of it by the time the movie opens.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually hadn't heard anything about Spock and Uhura ahead of time. Despite my scouring for spoilers and learning quite a bit (destruction of Vulcan, Nero's defeat) that did come out of the blue for me. Hell, I know people who waited to watch the movie on DVD that were surprised about that.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, if you wanna go down that road, you better add onto the Avengers Budget, the budgets for Iron Man 1 and 2, both Hulk movies, Thor and Captain America, since that earlier buzz came from them.

20. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the two Hulk movies probably subtracted from the buzz. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.