Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded. I'm not a fan of that kind of thing either. Agreed. Anything more would be over the line, in my opinion.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it on Buffy that time, during a costume party at the Bronze, it might have been halloween, there was a Luke and Leia dancing in the trhong, way to close and way too dirt... Which iswhen Willow says "Good lord! Do they know that they're brother and sister?"

Meanwhile off in Ugly Betty, when the Secretary thought that she was the Prince Charming Publisher's halfsister, and he says "Oh my, You're my sister? When I think of all the sex we've had over the years." and she counters "Well, think about it this way, if you're only my half brother, it's only half as bad."

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have we ever seen Deb's therapist in any different clothing, or interact with anyone other than Deb? (Also thought it was weird that she was in the background during the gas attack, but then again, the building was evacuated, and she does work in the same building)

I suspect that she's Deb's dark passenger.

Only problem though, that would mean that Deb has been going into an empty office all this time. Wouldn't it be locked?, wouldnt anyone notice?

4. Guy Gardener

The office could be in her head too.

5. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, she could be having the sessions in her head, but damn what a dysfunctional family the Morgans would be :p, hehe.

Anyhow, I predict that once she clears out her issues, and feel she has no longer need for therapy, the real therapist will show up and say that she has avoided her for too long, and now they will have to talk.

And really hope that the kissing between her and Dexter just stays in her dreams. Yuck :wtf:

6. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

And it's been around since the beginning of recorded history. The Bible has it. Plenty of ancient plays has it (hello Oedipus). Even Star Wars has it.

It's not a "recent trend." It's always been there and always will be.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael C. Hall comments on the Debra/Dexter stuff:

http://seriable.com/dexter-michael-c-hall-weighs-in-on-debra-love-story-fantastical-elements/

In t he part I bolded I think Dexter meant human feelings in general and not the falling in love kind. Early on Dexter was portrayed as someone who had no real human feelings of any kind.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I really miss that guy. He was interesting.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If they kill of Dexter's kid next week, it won't be shocking, it will just be lazy. Not that the writers haven't been lazy with the kid since Rita died, anyway. The babysitters in seasons five and six seem to be raising the kid 90% of the time, since Dexter is at work all the time during the week and busy at all hours of the night (and day) on the weekends. And, of course, they never question where Dexter is all the time.

I probably said this already, but, boy, what a colossal waste of Edward James Olmos. I had hoped he would get more to do once the dragged out reveal that he was imaginary finally came about, but instead the writers dropped his character completely. Lame.

This is still better than the dull, disappointing fifth season, though. But -- low standards. The finale to that year was shameful, with unbelievable return-to-the-status-quo resolutions to the Quinn vs. Dexter and Debra vs. Dexter stories.

Also, why did Angel get to live in the last episode? Colin Hanks has been killing people left and right (just look at the people in the house he was staying at) yet he chooses to tie up this guy? He must have known he was a series regular, eh.

10. davejames

I started out thinking this season was better... but by this point, with how it's come unravelled, I'm inclined to think it's the fifth season that actually holds together better.

Jordan Chase may have been a lame villain, but he was certainly better than Travis. And at least the general storyline felt fairly original. And then of course there was the threat posed by Peter Weller's awesome P.I....

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The threat posed by Peter Weller was utterly undermined by the conclusion of the season. Dexter stabs him; Quinn is wrongfully accused but acquitted by Dexter. (Not only is the acquittal totally implausible, but the way Quinn shifts to being totally buddy-buddy with Dexter doesn't make a lick of sense).

Likewise, any interest in the Lumen character was undermined by the way her Dark Passenger suddenly vanished and she just left in the finale.

Deb's story was undermined because the writers didn't have the balls to go through with her finding out about Dexter. A giant plastic sheet in between them is awfully convenient, but Deb walking away after her speech is several orders beyond. Also, I recall a female uniformed cop from that season who did something bad to be in Homicide, but once she got her spot in the department her character was completely dropped. What a waste of time!

Mostly, it was a waste because it completely squandered the death of Rita. Dexter's nanny was nothing but a plot device. The nanny from season six is basically that, too, although she has had more connection to the other characters. Quinn was never a threat. Season six has done more with the death of Rita than season five, I think (outside of the season five opener, which was a terrific episode, but one that didn't lead to anything).

I think season six is better because Mos Def's Brother Sam was the most interesting character on the series since season four (although he came perilously close to being a magical negro on his death bed, and he was killed far too early). The Doomsday Killings have at least been unusual (I forgive the implausibility of how elaborate they are because they've been so unique), and unlike Peter Weller, Colin Hanks' villain has been mediocre from the beginning, so nothing will be undermined by a weak conclusion.

12. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Peter Weller... Now there was a waste of a good actor. He should have been the main villain, or at least given a decent ending.

13. Guy Gardener

He should have been Quins secret lover.

Good god, it looked like they already shared a wardrobe.

14. davejames

Yeah I agree the payoffs to those stories were pretty lame, but at least it still felt at several points in the season that Dexter was at some kind of real risk. Whether it was being caught actually killing someone, having to cover the tracks of a bumbling Lumen, having to deal with Quinn's suspicions, or having to evade Liddy's prying eyes (eyes which not only saw them dumping body parts, but practicing to kill someone!). And yes, even the possibility that the nanny might not be all she said she was.

For whatever reason, it just hasn't felt like the stakes have been very high at ALL for Dexter this season. Other than the vague possibility of Brother Sam learning the truth, he hasn't been under much threat at all. And that to me just makes for a very dull season.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I agree that there hasn't been much of a threat to Dexter at all (though, given how lax he has become in his methods in the past 2-3 seasons, there should be). Still, I think season six has the edge over season five -- which is not to call either particularly good, mind you. I'm ready to get this finale over with, although I probably won't be able to see it until January, due to holiday travel.

Does that Michael C. Hall interview address criticisms of the show?

16. davejames

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Dexter seems pretty safe this season. There's been very few moments when it looks like he might get hurt, killed or caught. But then you know none of that is going to happen when the show's been renewed for two seasons. And any serious threat or consequence won't occur until the final season. It's hard to feel any threat is real under those circumstances.

18. davejames

Sadly, you're probably right. Unlike something like Breaking Bad, where you have a lot more wiggle room with what you can do with the criminal characters, with Dexter there's not much you can do that wouldn't immediately jeapordize his position at Miami Metro and send him on the run.

Things unravel much quicker for him once you start down that road.

Oh well. If nothing else, at least the final season will be spectacular. Lol

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dexter has had a serious lapse in judgement this season. Why in the world did he call 911 and not even attempt to disguise his voice. He's lucky no one asked to listed to the tape.

20. davejames

That stoner college kid voice he used in an earlier episode was freakin hilarious.