Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Belz..., May 23, 2013.

1. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the negative reaction to TMP's pace (and among my fellow pre-adolescents at the time, it has to be said, lack of space battles) is what led to every subsequent Trek movie having to be an action film, for good or for ill.

2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Don't believe me? Run a poll someplace, if it hasn't already been run. Even those who like JJ Trek usually just "tolerate" the production design issues, like the ship, the Applestore bridge, and the brewery engine-room. The only truly pretty part of the JJ Prise is the main dish, and I guess the blue bussard collectors are OK. BTW, I put some thought into expressing my opinions. Would it hurt for you to do more than just write "No" and "Yes"? Monosyllabic declarations like that don't prove much.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

When I first saw ST:TMP, I had mixed feelings about the look of the refit Enterprise, especially the art-deco-ized nacelles. But the design grew on me and now it's my second-favorite Enterprise after the original.

As for the 2009 version -- yeah, it's ugly. Malproportioned, ridiculous looking , and UGLY.

Could you be thinking of the Bricklin?

[​IMG]

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't find it appealing. For me the '79 model had a combination of gracefulness and substance that none of the rest have managed.

Opel GT?

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Long paragraphs declaring without evidence that most people find the design ugly doesn't prove much either. At least "no" is concise.

As for the design, it's a matter of personal taste. However, having seen Apple stores, I find the comparison with the Enterprise bridge exaggerated. Furthermore, I find the "industrial" look of the engine room far more realistic than any other Trek before. I don't think they'll make reactor rooms look like admiral lounges even 300 years in the future. ;)

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pick up a copy of The Best of Trek #3 on Amazon and see for yourself. "Change for the sake of change" is a recurring complaint, and the article calling the new-look Klingons "spine-headed munchkins" is hilarious.

Then take a look at Best of Trek #7, where fans complain about the next round of changes in Wrath of Khan, concluding that "...the Federation has been overwhelmed and drastically altered by some cataclysm- possibly revolution." and that Star Trek has become "Indiana Skywalker meets the son of Star Wars"

Now take a look at the complaints in the XI+ forum. Nothing has changed:)

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Ding-ding-ding!
    Yeah, I kept thinking Opus or Opal, but wasn't sure. My boss' kid had one of those things, and every time he tried one of those 'high&mighty' acts at work because he could get away with it, I'd tell him somebody stole the back half of his car.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I like the bridge, still torn on engineering, like the Enterprise exterior though I wished the nacelles were spaced further apart.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

When a simple declarative syllable becomes the near-constant default Imperialist response by one poster to most dissenting views, it isn't being concise -- it's just being highhanded & dismissive without providing any countering content.

Of course, the inevitable post consisting of the word 'no' that will doubtless follow at some point won't be considered trolling.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course I don't.

I know better than to accept your unfounded assertion.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

There's a happy medium to be found somewhere between the two extremes.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I think he proved that you'd made an inaccurate sweeping statement.

I don't find it ugly at all, either. Inside or out.

14. Belz...

Yeah, I think so, too, but I've come to like that as well.

15. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Old timer reporting in.

No, I don't recall much outrage about TMP Enterprise over TOS Enterprise. It was widely accepted as a beautiful design, as it is. Some fans commented about certain elements, but nothing to constitute a backlash against the new design.

As mentioned above, most negative comments were about the interior re-design rather than exterior appearance. And the new uniforms and new Klingons sparked more controversy than the new Enterprise.

As an aside, drawing from my lifetime decades of fandom, the greatest fan uproar and outrage over *anything* in Star Trek was the introduction of TNG in 1987. Fans today are accustomed to new ships, new series, new crews, new actors. But at the time, Star Trek was and could only be Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley and Kirk/Spock/McCoy and the Enterprise.

New actors and new characters calling themselves Star Trek? It seems strange today, but boy TNG really had a hell of a time from the fans at the start. I don't recall anything in Star Trek generating such an uproar. Very divisive at the time, and perhaps justified during that uneven first season.

16. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

I can't comment much on what people thought of the Connie refit back then since I was still fairly young, but I personally loved the design. It seems to be almost universally accepted now though, a lot of people seem to love the design. One gripe I have is the dull paint job they gave it in later films, in TMP it had a pearlesque paint job, almost self illuminating, I think they started to dull the paint job in Wrath of Khan and every film after that had a duller paint scheme. But it became that design became a fan favorite, I distinctly remember a collective gasp in the theater when the Enterprise A was unveiled at the end of IV.

I like the 2009 Enterprise as well though, I think I read somewhere that in new timeline the Constitution Class was delayed 10 years or so, so I guess this design has refit elements already there.

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Not in the slightest, and I'm embarrassed for you making such a statement. That you would even venture a defense of someone who didn't back up a significant percentage of his posts with content, since you nearly always make a point of supporting your assertions with content, seems counter to form.

I probably disagreed with over half of your views down through the years, but even so, your views are always supported by more than the internet equivalent of 'so there!'

18. Belz...

That may be so. Though the paint on the TMP Enterprise was a bit special, I think, and lit the way it was in TWOK may have yielded very different looks. The way it looked depended on the lighting and angle, which they try to reproduce with the new 2009 design.

I was dissapointed. I wanted a new design. :p

It gets weirded with the comics, who claim there was another Enterprise 20 years before Into Darkness, which was decommissioned two years prior. From the comics it looks identical to the new one, which is odd.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Burden of proof is on the person making a ridiculous sweeping generalization. mos6507 has offered none - none at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  20. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

I haven't gotten around to reading the comics yet, been meaning to though. And yes I would have liked a new design as well, I was a fan of the Excelsior from the moment I saw the ship in III, and am a huge fan of the Enterprise B.