July Art Challenge: The Unthinkable!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Solarbaby, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This month you have to think outside the box. :alienblush: Think of something that could but should not happen in Trek. Like earth destroyed, which we saw that on Enterprise Shockwave. Or the Borg assimilated earth completely in First contact. Or a 3 nacelled galaxy class ship! WTF lol (it did look cool though!)

Whether its a canon; in-universe idea. Or something that you believe CBS/Paramount would never agree to having on the show. It can be as abstract and surreal as you want as long as it shows our beloved crew or ships in it. No crossovers with other sci fi though. I'm sure we'd all love to see the Enterprise D come head to head against an Imperial Star Destroyer.

It should have a big impact on first viewing as the Unthinkable!

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Inconceivable! :bolian:

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^:lol:

Interesting topic! It's going to take some hard thinking to come up with something.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

That'd be a short fight. Picard would probably still be saying "Can't we all just get along?" while TIE fighters blow old D to smithereens.

But enough about my fantasies...

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Heh...I doubt the TIE weapons or SD turbo lasers would be able to penetrate the E-D's navigational shields, much less put a dent in her hull before point-defense phasers kicked in and cleared a path without so much as breaking a sweat. :evil:

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The evidence is quite debatable.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/

http://visual.ly/eternal-debate-star-wars-vs-star-trek
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19612_star-wars-vs-star-trek-objective-analysis.html
    http://comicsbeat.com/who-would-win-star-trek-vs-the-empire/
    http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_ran...-and-star-wars-are-better-than-each-other.php

It's interesting when apples to apples comparisons are made, such as the ability to destroy an asteroid.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

E-D never displayed "point-defense phasers". It just had phasers. And lots of shit got past E-D's navigation shields. That's why it relies on actual shields. The type of things Star Destroyer turbolasers blast through on a regular basis. The whole fucking sereis started with a star destroyer doing exactly that to a rebel blockade runner.

8. 137th Gebirg

^^^ When I refer to point defense phasers, I'm not referring to a different kind of phaser emitter, but rather a different application of the existing phaser system, using limited, short-burst phaser shots against numerous small targets. This is exactly what the Enterprise-D used against the Lysians in the episode "Conundrum". There is precedence for this. There is also precedence for cluster photon torpedoes that could be used as an effective anti-spacecraft weapon during an approaching swarm.

I don't care how many forward-facing turbo laser batteries (emphasis on lasers, BtW) a SD has. Once their TIE pickets are wiped out, beaming a single magnetic bottle containing a spoonful of antimatter in the SD's main engine core will make short work of it.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

And transporter beams got scrambled and intercepted constantly, throughout every trek series. What makes you think imperials can't figure out how to do it too?

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Hey, guys, you're turnimg this into a Trek Tech thread and missing the point of the challenge; it doesn't matter who has the bigger balls, Starfleet or Empire: this is a Trekverse-only challenge.

11. 137th Gebirg

True that - apologies.

[loud whisper]But you know I'm right![/loud whisper] :D :devil:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  12. KellyM

KellyM Cadet Newbie

Very interesting topic, I like it :techman:

13. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

And heeeeeerree we are, the end o' the month! Be sure you send your entry to me by midnight (PDT) @ ptrope at gmail dot com. And since I'll be in the dentist's care tomorrow and don't know the outcome yet, I'm going to work real hard to get the challenge up tonight while I'm not either in pain or under sedation ;).

Operators are standing! Bye!