TP: Seize the Fire by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Nov 21, 2010.

?

Rate Seize The Fire.

1. Outstanding

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Above Average

25 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Average

33 vote(s)
    28.4%
  4. Below Average

33 vote(s)
    28.4%
  5. Poor

19 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Re: Typhon Pact: Seize The Fire review thread

It's starting to look like they should bring back Andy and either have him co-write with Martin or on his own. Martin as a solo act doesn't seem to be cutting it.

2. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey Ron,

You get that pic from me?

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well, being totally honest though, aside from David Mack, I haven't been especially impressed with ANY author's output since Marco was laid off. And even Zero Sum Game was pretty lame.

I think we might be missing a bigger picture thing here.

100Pic likes this.
  4. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

You kidding? I thought you got it from me :rofl:

just saw it after seeng Wall-E a while back and loved it :techman:

5. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I agree with your overall point, i.e. Marco's final Trek novels (the post-Destiny VOY duology IIRC) have been the last truly amazing novels in the last couple of years (excluding Mack's Sorrows of Empires and the Vanguard series).

It's not that there weren't any good novels, but not anything special, at least IMO.

As for your last point, are you referring to the Trek universe or real-world editorial and publishing issues?

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I can say that the eBook quality has gone downhill since Marco left. We have eBpooks with broken fonts, words with dashes in them that do not belong and * * * as section separators that are only there for the print version because the section ends near the end of the page. So really, bring back Marco so the quality of the eBooks can be better again.

7. T'deD'Edkeid'Ende'Dejdid

T'deD'Edkeid'Ende'Dejdid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was really looking forward to this book since I've enjoyed the series so far. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed this this book. Hopefully Rough Beasts of the Empire will be better.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they need to start rotating out the current writers and bring in some people with some fresh ideas.

9. Almost Unique

Almost Unique Lieutenant Red Shirt

Some of the writers, sure, but certainly not all of them.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think pretty much all of the material over the last couple of years has been average to mediocre. I'd have no problem with them getting in entirely new teams.

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Sorry that wasn't clearer; I just meant that people were complaining about the authors, and it seemed to me like it might be the editorial leadership as a whole rather than the authors individually.

I've read a little over 200 Trek books in the past couple years (what can I say? When I obsess I obsess...) and just for fun I averaged all the ones Marco edited and all the ones he didn't, and his books averaged about 20% better ratings from me. And that's with me reading ALL of his editorial output, and only reading the best of everyone else's.

Don't get me wrong, there were PLENTY of GREAT books without him and I'm sure there will continue to be in the future. I'm hugely looking forward to most of the books coming this year, I think a lot of them have a ton of potential. But what's the phrase, a rising tide lifts all ships? Marco was a hell of a rising tide.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I think I've got to agree with you. I'm liking ZSG quite a bit so far, but it definitely is missing something that the books used to have.

13. Man of Steel

Nope. I actually got it from Flikie to use as my Facebook pic sometimes.

14. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

Got my copy today. Last one at the Barnes & Noble I was at. :p So far from reading the couple paragraphs of prologue and the first chapter: Snoozers!!! ;)

15. Man of Steel

I read the first 4 chapters. I think it's one of those books that just takes time to get into.

16. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I dont normally post in review threads before I finish the book, but I have had it at least a week now and am still miles off finishing it, and there is a decent chance I will never get around to finishing it either.

It is slow, dull and not particularly interesting. the stuff about the Gorn might be interesting in the hands of a different writer, but so far I dont find it to be so in this book.

I was disappointed with Zero Sum Game as I expected greatness when it was only good, this book is bordering on poor for me.

The last Star Trek book I read that made me feel like this and took so long for me to finish was Full Circle, another book I didnt like.

Edited to add: Also, I thought Trill was called... Trill? Where did Trillius Prime come from?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Trillius Prime was cited in ENT: "Broken Bow" as a port visited by Travis Mayweather's ship in his childhood. Star Trek Star Charts conjecturally identified it as an alternate name for the Trill homeworld.

18. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Ah, I didnt remember that. Thanks. Personally I still prefer Trill, but nevermind.

19. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

These are my thoughts exactly. I started it last Saturday, am about half way through and have decided that I don't care how the story ends so going to put it on my bookcase and read something else!

20. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well crap, I've been looking forward to reading the Typhon Pact series, and now come to find out we're not getting installments for two of the Pact members (Kinshaya & Tzenkethi) and even though I'm enjoying Zero Sum Game thus far, apparently Seize The Fire is going to be a bit of a slow burn...

Crap.

I miss Marco & Margaret. (No Offense to Jaime)