Did Diane Duane have to make cuts in her last 3 Rihannsu books?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by darkwing_duck1, Aug 6, 2010.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I've been re-reading the set and it seems to me that there was a certain amount of build up on some aspects of the story (like Starfleet's planning for war and the question of Kirk's "political reliability" that just seemed to drop out and go unresolved.

Then there was the "will they, won't they" way Ael played off of Kirk. Did Duane intend for there to be more to them than professional acquaintances with some UST thrown in?

It just felt to me like there were blocks missing out of the story, esp Book 5, and sub-plots that were left hanging.

Anyone have any info they can share?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no idea, but I've always suspected that the two Constellation-class starships that show up are mundane stand-ins for Duane's awesome USS Inaieu and crew.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Considering how many years passed between the books, it's possible Duane simply reconsidered certain aspects of the story in the interim. Also there was a change in editors between the penultimate book and the final one.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The answer to this is perhaps suggested in Chris Claremont's "Debt of Honor" graphic novel (DC Comics), wherein Kirk and a female Romulan Commander (whom Claremont wanted to be Ael from Diane Duane's novels, but Richard Arnold nixed that) had a similar did-they-or-didn't-they backstory together.

And then we met a younger female Romulan named T'Kir. (T'Kir, get it?)

But I think, in the books, that Diane Duane wanted us, the readers, to decide how far Kirk and Ael may have taken mutual admiration.

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I'd wondered about that at the time it came out...but that's what Claremount wanted, not what Duane intended. I can't find any place in the books themselves where such an encounter COULD have happened.

That's how it works out in the end.

So what do you think happened with the whole "Starfleet doubts Kirk" storyline?

6. Therin of Andor

Dunno! Try emailing Diane Duane herself. She has a website and a Facebook presence.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I wonder if "Ael" was the inspiration for the name "Ayel" in Star Trek '09? IIRC, the writers are fans of Trek Lit.

8. Therin of Andor

OMG!

NERO = Naraht Eats Rocks Only! ;)

9. F. King Daniel

Re: The Missing Line of Dialog that Destroyed Star Trek XI

I spotted that too!

In the cinema, I was like: Ayel? Ael? Ayel? Ael?

...Ayel's a girl's name!!

10. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rommie:

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Re: The Missing Line of Dialog that Destroyed Star Trek XI

The difference between Ael and Ayel is similar to the difference between Erin and Aaron. One is the vagina version and the other is the penis version.

12. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ IIRC, both times that Ayel was named in the movie, his name was pronounced "Eye-El." I'd always thought Duane's Empress was named "Ay-El." If that's right, the difference between the names would be more like that between Shane and Shawn.

13. F. King Daniel

^It sounded to me like everyone's favourite Australian/Romulan thug was pronouncing it "Hey El" :rommie:

Does anyone know what Diane thought of STXI? A Google search didn't turn up anything, but I'm sure she must have commented on it by now - they blew up her planet!

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, they blew up Romulus, not ch'Rihan. ;)