Is there a sport you've always wanted to try?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by lurok, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm sure this topic already been done (but what hasn't :)). Apparently the Olympics often inspires people to have a go at a new sport. And the Brit rower who only took it up four years ago but won gold is perhaps the ultimate example. So what sport would you like to try? I cycle a lot and skate, sail and canoe when I can, and have tried archery and shooting. Fenced at school. But the one sport I've always wanted to try is skiing (or snowboarding perhaps, or water-skiing). Just never got round to them yet I guess.

2. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love to have a go on a track bike of some sort, but I probably wouldn't have the physical strength or endurance to do much with it. I've enjoyed watching cycling for years, but the Olympics have given me the urge to try it for myself.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I was able to train for and run a marathon last year. I have friends encouraging me to join them in their training for a full triathalon. I'm finding setting aside the time to train for that especially difficult seeing as how I have two small children.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have always wanted to be part of the US Olympic Curling team.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did pole vaulting in high school for my senior year only. I would have loved to be able to do that for more than one year, and it would be nice to try again. But I don't think anyone will let a 38 year old "try" their equipment just for the fun of it.

6. greenguy

greenguy Commander Red Shirt

I did track, field, tennis, swimming, diving, and gymnastics. I was able to do them all in high school, luckily, except for the last one (massive growth spurt), so I became a coach and judge recently instead. Anyone wanna learn some acrobatics? We could also dive or do hurdles! :techman:

I really want to try judo, fencing, rowing, and sailing. Has anyone done any of these, and do you enjoy them? They seem awesome and I have so much respect for who wins each of those events. Even though I live in a big city, rowing and sailing are pretty much out of the question due to cost and lack of coastline, but hopefully if I can move back to California I can try them out.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A guy at work and I are always (half-)joking about having a go at Curling sometime. One of these days I might just try to act on it.

8. lurok

Tried all of those and enjoyed/enjoy them. Judo and fencing at school. I always lol'd at that fencing match between Picard and Guinan. But Whoopi wasn't too bad. On water sports front, lucky in that live next to river. Just remembered another one I'd like to try: tobaggan or luge *eek*

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a summer sport, but I've always wanted to try bobsled or luge.

I've been to the sled track in Calgary and thought, "How cool would this be?"

11. lurok

:lol: honest and to the point.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If I had the money and didn't work the crazy hours that I do, I would absolutely be a professional bodybuilder.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brockian Ultra Cricket

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Cadet Newbie

Mullet wearing.

15. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

That'd be great. I took curling in college and loved it. Still play once in a while.

I'd love to go down the skeleton track just once.

Not really a sport, but I'd love to see if I could make it through the Big Balls from the game show Wipeout.