Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering how Extremis will fit into the established Iron Man movie mythos. It's nanotech, and the way it shows up in the comics involves stuff like loating armor pieces, telepathic interfaces to technology, a golden layer of armor that is stored inside Tony's bones, and Wolverine-esque accelerated healing. I wonder if, between this and the supposed involvement of the Mandarin and his nigh-mystical alien magic, is it too much compared to what's happened so far?

I do like the concept (and the Extermis armor in the comics is one of my favorite incarnations) but compared to the relatively straightforward technology I'm concerned it would be too fantastic an element to translate into live action. I think what they've done with Whiplash and Ion Monger still gave them a grounded look, but Extremis as a technology could stretch the boundaries of a believable look in this franchise. Thoughts?

Mark

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why are people still worried about magic possibly being in IM3? Iron Man was just in a movie with freaking THOR and LOKI. I think people will believe anything now.

I don't know much about Extremis, but it does sound kind of weird. I'll say they should keep it simple and just let the armor stay as something that can only be put on.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Similarly, I have yet to see the movie, but I know that the film tackles various magical and genetic stuff that isn't typically dealt with within the Iron Man comics themselves - the Avengers franchise tackles such things AND the hero teamups, but the individual series do not cross over nearly as much in such themes. So, in sticking within the Iron Man movie world, you can expect NOT to see a Norse God or a big green guy whose strength increases with how mad he gets - not IMPOSSIBLE feats to explain in a sci-fi setting, but one that Iron Man does not deal with himself.

Extremis has already been adapted in the "Armored Adventures" animated series, but not nearly to the same extreme (pun intended) that it was presented in the comics. I hope the writers find a way to believeably incorporate Extremis into the Iron Man movies without it coming off looking like magic. Comics can get away with that as the nature of its medium; IMO a live action film needs to take a more realistic (looking) approach to sell it.

Still, the Extremis arc in the comics is popular because it crafted a very good story to go with the technological rebirth of Tony Stark. It seems that Mallen will not be part of this movie, though Maya Hansen and Aldrich Killian are; and with the Mandarin seemingly a part of the story (seriously, who else can Ben Kingsley be?) I hope Extremis will tie them together rather than be just the next gimmick Tony comes up with to get a cooler suit.

Mark

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

John Favreau says that as a producer he'll be heavily involved in Iron Man 3.
    I didn't see a mention that his Happy Hogan would have a role but if he's going to be that involved I should hope that he will be returning just as an actor for the few weeks his scenes would take to film.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that Favreau will reprise his role as Happy in IM3. Good to see he will be playing an active role as a producer, I think Favreau is a good director who did very good things with Iron Man and IM2's problems were largely not his fault and due to the weight of setting up The Avengers.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Not a fan of the whole Extremis premise. It puts the movie in a bad position because we end up with a weak enemy for IM to fight and a weak enemy always makes for a poor movie. Really a guy already using Extremis and Tony having to use it as well does nothing for me.
    I would rather they adapted Armor Wars, which would have had the added benefit of allowing them to expand the Marvel Film Universe by introducing many foes in various types of armor. Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man at the top of the list.
    Staying away from the Mandarin while PC also is a mistake as far as fandom is concerned.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Wait, did I miss something? Last I heard Mandarin wasn't going to be in the next movie.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It could be some scientist experimenting on himself(Guy Pearce) instead of a skin head from the Extremis arc

What's known so far

-Tony is alone. No Avengers back up

-Something to do with China

-Third movie loosely based on "Extremis" arc

-On Leno, RDJ said the Iron Man suit would be more flexible

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

and Shane Black said it would be "more like a Tom Clancy story".

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Because all the fans want to see a Tom Clancy, Iron Man story.

11. Captain Craig

I'm not a Tom Clancy reader. Is that a good thing?
    I doubt the screenplays for his movies were literal adaptations.

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i think the point was that it'd be a more realistic and techno-thriller thing and not Downey Jr. beating up someone else in a CGI suit again.

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Which is great. Superhero stories are more than fight scenes. There is nothing wrong with having them. But if the villian's sole appeal is their fighting ability the rest of the story is going to fall apart.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If the film is about how white rich (self-made of course) conservatives are right in their world view and foreign people/liberals are always weak/evil/deluded and to be mistrusted, then it will be a perfect Tom Clancy style movie.

15. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hopefully they will skip that part and just focus on the techno-thriller aspect ;)

Iron Man doesn't have a great rogue's list. I can see why they would shy away from the Mandarin. "Whiplash" already incorporated aspects of the Crimson Dynamo (and wasted them for the most part).

"Armor Wars" is definitely one of the best IM stories. There were some similar thematic elements already in IM + IM2, but not yet really with the Iron Man tech being successfully copied. So, I'd like to at least see some elements of this. Sounds plausible, given the tone they are apparently trying to go with. I guess the "Extremis" tech could be the big break-through that allows Tony to win this time around. It would be better than the "new element" in IM2 which didn't seem to correspond to anything actually new about how the tech worked.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why don't they do a version of The Crossing?

17. Captain Craig

The time crossing epic of the 90's started by Kang that displaced the Avengers into alternate timelines while he ruled?

That would be a bit much to boilerplate down just for an Iron Man movie I'd think.

18. Mark_Nguyen

What about "Demon"? They only hinted at Tony's potential for alcoholism in the first two films. What if he went full-bore? Maybe it won't make for a great central plot, but we know RDJ can chew that sort of thing up.

Mark

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Not compatible with the toyline.

20. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha, yeah, I think IM2 went about as far as they will go toward Tony having a drinking problem. Can't say I really blame them.