Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's impressive, but it's likely they used a tool to do it for them, and I know there are tools from looking around, and it would be more impressive if they actually placed the blocks themselves and gathered resources.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

For realsies. GO LEGIT OR GO HOME!

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Notch released a new screenshot from 1.7 that appears to show magical flying. Also, there's some sort of weird curvature going on with the world.

5. Cutter John

Wow nice. But I hope its either temporary, or hard to come by though. Otherwise I'm going to rage after building all those minecart tracks.

So I wonder where are the players are hanging out currently? The official MC forum has been down the past 3-4 days.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. Robert Maxwell

I'm sure a lot of 13-year-olds are raging in their bedrooms about it right now, too. I'll bet as soon as the forums come back there will be much bitching.

7. Cutter John

Yeah probably. Though I've noticed the amount of Mordoring has gone way down recently. I guess the mods finally started doing their jobs.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

"Mordoring"?

9. TheGodBen

Notch has suggested on his twitter that they may do a minor release during the week containing just pistons because the rest of the adventure update is nowhere near finished. It sounds like a good idea to me, the game could do with a new injection of life right about now, but it will probably be a pain for server admins. :p

10. Robert Maxwell

It's mostly a pain for me because I have to wait for CraftBukkit to be updated. But as long as they don't break a bunch of stuff it should be fine. That was really the problem with 1.6, it introduced so many bugs it left CraftBukkit a total wreck for days.

11. Cutter John

Flames and Trolls. ;)

12. TheGodBen

It's official, 1.7 is coming out this week as a piston-only update, with a few bugfixes attached. I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping that the new lighting system, ravines and other non-adventure features they have been working on would be included too. :( Still, getting pistons now is better than waiting a month or more for the adventure update to be finished.

13. Robert Maxwell

I think I'll avoid updating until at least 1.7.2. :lol:

14. TheGodBen

Yeah, the promise of bug-fixes just screams "DANGER!" for SMP. :lol:

It has been 3 months since I uploaded my world and an awful lot has changed since then, so I've uploaded the current version of the world in case anyone is interested in seeing what I've built. You should start in the middle of my village, roads, tunnels and the Nether portal network link to all major landmarks, while the rail lines link to everywhere on my primary landmass.

World Download
    World Map

15. Robert Maxwell

While we're posting maps, here is an annotated map of our server world! :)

Link

(Too big to embed as an image, alas.)

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

New lighting system? I already thought the current one was good for what it was. I hope the new one won't slow things down too much.

17. Robert Maxwell

Ah, it looks like what they are fixing is the "rolling sunset/sunrise" effect. Ever notice how if you aren't looking at distant chunks when the sun sets, as soon as you do look at them you see them lit up as if it's daytime, and then a moment later they go dark? And notice that they do this chunk-by-chunk, so it's quite noticeable and not at all seamless.

It sounds like they have found a way to deal with this so that the day/night lighting changes are no longer chunk updates. This would make them instantaneous, if I am understanding correctly. Cool!

18. TheGodBen

I kind of liked that, it reminded me of the Discworld where light is slowed down by the magical field so that it's as slow as the speed of sound. :cool:

The new lighting system means that sunlight will be handled completely differently from torchlight and the other light-emitting blocks, which is presumably what is being done to fix that slow chunk update problem at sunrise and sunset. Also, moonlight will have a blue tint to it while torches will have a yellow tint to them.

It doesn't look likely to be included in 1.7, possibly because Notch has new plans for light when it comes to mob spawning and other adventure things now reserved for 1.8. But it does look like some other non-adventure things that Jeb was working on will be included, such as shears, stackable fences (yay!) and a few other things.

19. Robert Maxwell

I'm really not sold on the shears concept but I guess we'll see how it actually works.

20. Cutter John

Meh. Stackable fences. We already have those. How about freakin gates/half doors?