Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Man, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up for the opening are going to get some weird ass :lol: The way things are, I can just see it on the 6 o'clock news now.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Lorenzo Di Boneventura a long lost Weinstein?

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Actually, that'd be cool, because at this point, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up will likely be carrying picket signs!

I say definitely put that shit on the 6 O'clock news! :evil:

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

The source material was he was a used car sales man that became a terrorist because Snake Eyes drove his family off the road in a car accident.

You really expect the mass public to not laugh their asses off at that?:lol:

Again, the source material has Zartan turning colors to blend into a wall and built a man out of DNA dust and called him "Serpentor"!

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

What you really need to make people shit bricks: Cobra Command, and a phalanx of vipers.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

And the terrorist in the see-through Ant-Man mask is less comical?

And again, it also includes that same used car salesman taking over entire countries, putting a contract out on his own son and shooting people in the head for not thinking positive! Which mask do you think fits that Cobra Commander more?

7. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

I think the new version looks a little generic. For me, it's not so much honoring the source material as it is the original look was so perfect. It was iconic.

[​IMG]

I also liked the battle helmet.

[​IMG]

8. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I like the battle helmet. The mirrored visor...you see your reflection. It's mysterious like the humanoids in The Black Hole.

Instead they turned his head into Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

9. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Wow, ickies. Not fond of that look for the character at all. It surprises me that they got the look of a few key characters right (Snake Eyes, Stormshadow and Baroness in particular) but strayed so far from this one. I mean, it's not going to keep me away from the movie, but I would've preferred a variant on the battle mask m'self.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

The see thru one from the movie.

Modern terrorists aren't afraid to show their faces anymore.
    He's got no family and isn't associated with any country, what's he hiding under a hood for?

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Why stop at one phalanx? Quote General Austin in issue one: "Cobra has LEGIONS!" :evil:

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Unless they intend to survive their terrorist acts and therefore don't want to get caught.

13. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

Is the Cobra emblem in the movie? I don't think I've seen it yet.

14. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

hes supposed to be cobra fucking commander, not the plastic encased turd, WTF

15. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    If the packaging wasn't labeled I would have thought that was a strange design for Destro, what with the big collar and all.

16. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

I not normally one to say "OMG they're raping my childhood" but...

OMG! They're raping my childhood!

Aaron McGuire

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He looks like the last appearance of lex luthor from smallville (post michael rosenbeum) wearing that oxygen mask

18. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Wow. I wonder if Paramount can change their minds at the last minute? Would it be possible to refilm scenes with the Cobra Commander with the proper attire? If they don't, they could have a massive failure here. From the comments on that page, it looks like even non Joe fans think it looks stupid. Really, the costme wasn't that hard. I could've seen teaser posters with Cobra Commander in his original costume standing triumphantly, and the word Command above him. I'm worried abour Destro now as well. Those two are such iconic characters in the GI-Joe universe, changing one thing would alienate the fanbase. I bet Destro will ony have half of is face be silver, or a silver eye patch or something. Honestly, how could Hasbro agree to a design change this drastically on a main character? Say what you will about Micheal Bay, if he were directing, or even producing this movie, the villains wouldn't have changed a bit. Look how close he got with Optimus Prime? The only thing he changed was that he added flames to the paint job, and that even got a lot of flak. Oh, well, I'll save my money for the new Indy game that comes out the same month. I never thought I would say that abou a movie like this!

19. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I loved GI Joe more than any other toys as a kid. I loved the comic too.

This really sucks for a few reasons - number two is it looks LAME and it is not necessary to make him an old buddy of one of the Joes who gets burned and wants revenge. His regular origin was very cool - either the used car salesman or the pyramid scheme stuff.

But the number one reason this is a mistake? If you are lucky enough for the filmmaking Gods to hand you a Darth Vader level, iconic villian - you. don't. change. a. fucking. thing.

Assholes.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I think CC's brother got drunk and smashed into a car carrying Snake-Eyes' parents and sister, and killed them.