Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's kind of awesome though :)

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yikes! She has Liefeliosis!

4. Broccoli

Jon Bogdonove is to Rob Liefeld as being pin pricked is to being drawn and quartered.

5. Trekker4747

I can see that, the woman in that cap above looks like she has elephantiasis of the face.

6. Broccoli

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You've actually got that backwards. The white belly shirt version of the costume originated with the JLU cartoon and was introduced to the comic later on.

8. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, but when Supergirl started showing up as a League member in JLU, she wasn't wearing the red, white and blue costume she originally used on TAS. She wore something very close to the Matrix Supergirl's costume, and (if memory serves), they actually commented on the costume change in one of the episodes.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, me too, sorta. The Death of Superman collection was--to the best of my memory--my first DC comic.

I liked it a lot.

They explain the Supergirl and Luthor things in the book, iirc (at the least, it was clear that Luthor was being viewed as Luthor's illegitimate son but legal heir). Bloodwynd was just kind of a weird mystery that had little impact (SPOILER: it's the Martian Manhunter.)

I think Doomsday's completely unexplained presence was what bothered me the most about it. They did eventually explain it, though, so be careful what you wish for, because that shit was ridiculous.

In any event, the big draw for Death of Superman was two titans punching each other till they both died. That wasn't too hard to get, and was very well-executed.

For what it's worth, I'll take the Matrix Supergirl over the Loeb/Turner/Benes/Churchill/Kelly abortion that came later. Kara Zor-El is a better concept, but I am convinced that is the worst run of comic books DC has ever published. I've never read Cry For Justice, Rise of Arsenal, or Countdown, but I honestly can't imagine them being more inept than the Batman/Superman arc and Supergirl Vol. 3. Heck, I might take the Matrix book over the current Supergirl series, but that jury's still out.

For fun, can anyone think of any comic book character more consistently given to utterly incompetent creatives than Kara Zor-El? Not even Cass Cain or X-family characters, I'd bet.

P.S.: This isn't directly related but Panic in the Sky: also fantastic. Best Brainiac story ever, with the worst rendition of Brainiac ever.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

At first glance, I thought that was Lex II in drag.

11. Trekker4747

I'm still fairly certain it is.

12. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those are some broad shoulders on, uh, Louis.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Steve, are you sure that a Bogdanove panel?

I mean, yes, Lois has Bogdanovesque hair, but that's a Jurgens face on Supergirl.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Good, I wasn't the only one thinking that.

15. Broccoli

Now that you mention it, it is a Dan Jurgen's panel. It's from Superman #77. Jurgens did layouts and Brett Breeding did finishes.

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Eh, it kind of collapsed in the final season and didn't live up to its potential, but I wouldn't go that far. A subject for another thread.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

SG has the worst case of bedhead I have ever seen and LL is being played by Luthor in drag.

If I didn't know better I would come to the conclusion that Lex drugged SG, slept with her, and is now using her for some plot to be revealed in the following panels.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, it's hard to believe those giant, wavy hairdos were ever considered attractive on women.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In a way, Lex was using her, and not just for the sex. She conferred on Lex some legitimacy as a "good guy" -- he was trying to show the world that he wasn't like his "father," and if one of Metropolis' own heroes could see him as a good guy, then maybe the would would see he wasn't the villain that his "father" was.

I'm trying to remember how and why Supergirl and Lex II parted ways, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It was in her miniseries from about a year later. Superman, the Kents, and one of Luthor's ex-wives all tried warning her that Luthor couldn't be trusted. At first she shut them all out. Eventually she wised up, used her shapeshifting powers to do some snooping, and discovered that Luthor was performing protomatter experiments with samples he'd taken from her. Dozens or hundreds of Supergirl duplicates. (Sheesh, talk about alternate costumes!)

After that, she declared all-out war on Luthor. "Hell hath no fury..."